Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Enduro!!!!……(stealth tyre thread)
  • pipiom
    Free Member

Currently running Toros 2.35f and 2.15 rear…..love em for just about everything, but I’d like something a bit more secure/planted on the front for our Enduro days……what are the current favourites on here?

transporter13
    Free Member

Magic mary

julzm
    Free Member

WTB Vigilante team on front, fast rolling on back.
    OR
    Magic Mary front, hand dampf rear.

pipiom
    Free Member

Trailstar super gravity or snakeskin? Which compound is best suited

tenacious_doug
    Free Member

DHF 2.5 3C here, love it

SirHC

Minions Front and Rear, roll pretty well given the grip they give. For trail centre/less steep stuff I run an ardent race, although it can get a bit wayward in the wet, Waiting for the Tomahawk to be available in the UK.

squoglybob
    Free Member

I’m a massive fan of MAXXIS High Rollers, just been away and very one running them pinched, burped, ripped sidewalls etc,

Magic Mary’s…….. Although only 2 out of 10 were running them, not one drama, they weigh a ton but certainly do their job. I’ve been converted.

slimporcini
    Free Member

Magic mary or conti trail king. I’m running a super gravity vertstar MM at the moment and while the grip is immense, it is wearing down at an alarming rate, i will be going for the trailstar compound next.
    Are you planning on doing the iom two day enduro in a couple of weeks?

Northwind

Maxxis Shorty does the same job as the Mary but is better at everything, even thought the Mary’s good there’s just no reason to buy it these days imo. If you want one front tyre for #enduroing everything, then Shorty is the best option I’ve found.

There’s others that are better in the dry and in rocks etc though so if you can be bothered to tyre swap then a minion or similiar could be a good second. I’m enjoying the absurdity of my 2.5 29er DHF but it is probably not a sensible tyre 😆

slimporcini
    Free Member

May have to take a look at the maxxis shorty

pipiom
    Free Member

Yes I am slimporcini, well, Saturday only…..I’ll be the doddering old mincer slithering around at the back

Trailstar or snakeskin anyone?

torsoinalake
    Free Member

Trailstar is the compound, Snakeskin is the sidewall, for Magic Mary the choice really is Snakeskin or Super Gravity.

I put a Magic Mary Trailstar Super Gravity on the front for the QECP Enduro last weekend – what a tyre, sticks like shit to a blanket. However, coupled with a Trailstar Hans Dampf on the rear, it nearly pulled my legs off trying to pedal uphill. I have gone back to the Pacestar HD on the rear to see if that is any better.

I suppose while the Snakeskin probably saves you 200 odd grams over the Super Gravity, you can probably run lower pressures in the latter. I haven’t tried both.

tenacious_doug
    Free Member

I’m enjoying the absurdity of my 2.5 29er DHF but it is probably not a sensible tyre

+1. Even more so as I have mine on a 35mm LB rim!
    Looks a bit weird when I’m running a 2.25 Ardent on the back 😆

jamj1974

So is the shorty better than a Minion or Trail King?

poah
    Free Member

Currently running Toros 2.35f and 2.15 rear…..love em for just about everything, but I’d like something a bit more secure/planted on the front for our Enduro days

and the difference in trail conditions is? just saying enduro doesn’t mean anything, its just a type of race.

fr0sty125
    Free Member

2.5 DHF 3C is a fantastic tyre does everything from hardpack to mud fairly well. Paired nicely with a 2.3 DHRII or a 2.4 conti TK at the rear. Still haven’t gotten around to try Shorty but I expect it will be my winter combo this year.

Currently running 2015 Butcher Grid front and Slaughter Grid front which weigh a hell of a lot! One of my local rides has some steep fresh cut and it is a little wet the slaughter doesn’t grip that well in a straight line but great grip in the corners when you can lean it over.

howsyourdad1
    Free Member

Shorty for the win . It’s brillbags

Northwind

Different. Shorty is evolved from a dh-style cut spike, it’s a fair bit better in mud and loose stuff. But is very knobbly so rolls a little slower, and loses out a little on traction when it’s on stuff it can’t dig into- hardpack trails, rocks.

Minion/Trail King can’t match it in the wet, but, roll faster (for equivalent tyres) and have better grip on harder stuff because they don’t bite the trail in the same way.

Better/worse? If I could only have one, it’s the shorty, because it can cover more bases. Also because the jobs it’s less good at, are easier jobs- I’d sooner lose a bit of grip on dry hard trails, and gain a bunch of grip on scottish mud-and-wet-roots #endurobastardry.

Hob-Nob
    Free Member

So is the shorty better than a Minion or Trail King?

How do you define better?

It grips more than a Minion, but rolls slower. It’s not a big tyre either.

The MM grips even more than the Shorty in everything other than sticky mud, which doesn’t clear on it.

MM’s don’t last though. At all. Typical Schwalbe IMO.

I’d probably run a Minion DHF/DHR2 out front & a Spec Slaughter out back if it’s dry & have a Shorty to chuck on the front and stick the Minion on the back on the wet days.

Trouble is, my matching tyre brand OCD goes haywire. Hurry up and bring out the Minion SS, Maxxis.

pipiom
    Free Member

Ordered this:

Couldn’t order WTB Vig as running Trace Enduro 30mm rims, and think I’d have s nightmare putting them on.

So Magic Mary it is: not that bothered about wear, as they’ll be on for Enduro races, then off again.

Time will tell whether the “trail comes alive” for me, cheers guys

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/mobile/schwalbe-magic-mary-evo-mtb-tyre-snakeskin/rp-prod118254

trusty

Magic mary (and all schwable tyres) are pretty cheap on r2-bike.com at the moment, ordered 4 tyres a couple of weeks ago and the whole lot came to £115 delivered. Better than £50 each!

SirHC

Trouble is, my matching tyre brand OCD goes haywire. Hurry up and bring out the Minion SS, Maxxis

Sharpie!

Northwind

Hob Nob – Member

The MM grips even more than the Shorty in everything other than sticky mud

Not what I found tbh, Mary (in trailstar) didn’t grip as well as the shorty (3C) in any conditions ime but was really shown up on wet roots/rocks. Good tread but not that sticky a rubber, I think.

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

The topic ‘Enduro!!!!……(stealth tyre thread)’ is closed to new replies.