Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Enduro1 – Quantocks – conditions?
  • empy
    Free Member

Looking forward to a wet race on Sunday. Not sure what the trails are like though – mud tyres any use here?

ajantom

Very wet and slidey last weekend. Moist weather forecast for this one too.
    I went down one of the proposed runs, and I was pretty muddy and sloppy then, so should be interesting!

dropoff

So which run was that ajantom ?

ajantom

Well I guessed it was one of the runs, but I may be wrong…..there were signs at the top of it saying a race would be taking place next weekend and it looked like it had recently been worked on with some little jumps and drops.

Starting in the Triscombe carpark, go right onto the singletrack and then almost immediately over the bank on the right. Followed the trail down and then over a fire road and a hard right, some switchbacks, and then into the trees with some drops and a fast run down to the lower fire road.

This segment: http://app.strava.com/activities/43893615#744938557

empy
    Free Member

Sounds interesting! Still not sure if its worth swapping tyres – isn’t it supposed to be fast draining and not too claggy?

jam-bo

In the eight years I lived in Taunton and rode the quantocks I never owned a set of mud tyres.

dobiejessmo
    Free Member

Not claggy more sandy and rocky.

empy
    Free Member

That’s what I wanted to hear. 🙂

starrman82
    Free Member

I was rding down there last weekend with a Maxxis Crossmark on the rear & an Ignitor up front, no proplems with either. It a little soft in places but not clagsville.

ajantom

So, to be accurate……Muddy and sloppy, but not claggy 😉
    The trails were running fast, but it was very wet.
    One particular puddle was over my axles, not on the above mention run I hasten to add.

dobiejessmo
    Free Member

Maybe its fast mud there :lol:My idea of claggy is alot of the Wilts trails.

sharki
    Free Member

Just run what you brung.

Alot of the sections are on fire road, although they aren’t special timed runs, you don’t want to be dragging rubber through your lungs.
    The timed sections, might be a touch greasy, they’ll not be a major issues on trail tyres. And i hear the Technical section isn’t included due to lack of marshals.

See you up there.

ajantom

Annoyingly I can currently see the Quantocks out of the window, but I’m stuck in school at a conference 🙁
    Want to go riding!

durborough
    Free Member

Just arrived home from a 3 hour hack around the Quantocks (live at the bottom of the hills). The woods are very very wet and muddy, but the mud soon washes off due to the amount of puddles. The tops and bracken covered hillsides are drying out quickly due to the sand, but again there are deep sections of water. And the best part – the sun was out for most of it. Hope that helps.

jam-bo

Alot of the sections are on fire road, although they aren’t special timed runs, you don’t want to be dragging rubber through your lungs.
    The timed sections, might be a touch greasy, they’ll not be a major issues on trail tyres. And i hear the Technical section isn’t included due to lack of marshals.

sounds awesome 😕

dropoff

We rode this today to find some good spots to get your pics and anyone doing this is in for a treat. A real mix of trails including some brand new sections 🙂

alexandersupertramp
    Free Member

The muddiest trails I have ever used my bike on. the transitions between stages were grip free. Even the fire roads.

MarkBrewer
    Free Member

I ride there once or twice a week and it was the muddiest I’ve known it for a long time. Apart from going over the bars on stage 5 I somehow managed to sort of stay on the bike on most of the stages, probably wasn’t going fast enough 😆 I think some of the linking sections had to go where they did due to having to stay on forestry commission land, it was definatly the hardest ride I’ve had this year due to pedalling through all that mud!

treemagnet
    Free Member

That was a real tough one!
    Lots of crashes. Happy to have made it to the end.
    Man, I ache today!

Taz

That was one tough event

Stage 5 was the only stage I rode without hitting the deck. I finally got to the realisation that slower was way faster. Stage 4 was farcical for me. I could not get started again after first fall and pretty much slid down most on my butt

Stage 3 was only marginal better

Glad I came through with just a few cuts and bruises

Really should not be this tired after a 3 hour ride. It was a hard, hard day out. Way harder than the 2 I did last year (FoD & Tidworth) Any suggestion that these events are good for folks new to Gravity racing was made a nonsense of yesterday.

As always great Marshalling and a good fun, relaxed atmosphere. Big thanks to all! Though the sense of relief for all at the end was palpable 🙂

For once I will not be eagerly awaiting my timings 🙁

acehtn
    Free Member

Came out for a look about.

Walked in from Dead womens ditch so crossed over on the run to stage 1, that was like thick soup and mashed spuds across the top.
    As the event was spread out didn’t get round to see much.

Lots of chatter on crashing out, bikes making some expensive grinding sounds, and lots of smiley faces. Proper mudfest, and even the sun came out. And met Sharki too.

Looked like a hard but fun day 🙂

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘Enduro1 – Quantocks – conditions?’ is closed to new replies.