Viewing 35 posts - 41 through 75 (of 75 total)
  • Enduro – Tell me more please.
  • jam-bo

i saw something online suggesting the triscombe round of enduro1 will be held on existing trails so everything should hold up pretty well even if the weather does break. When I lived up there and rode the quantocks regularly I never bothered with mud tyres even in the worst of conditions.

do a search for triscombe DH on youtube and you’ll get a flavour of what to expect.

weeksy

Just enter one. You’ll be fine. Plenty of differing abilities as well.

I already have matey, this one… I’m entered on it in a few weeks time 🙂

Just trying to gauge what to expect really.

Will be a weird event in some ways as this is the sort of thing I’d usually do with mates, however this time i’ll be on my own.

scottfitz
    Free Member

Weeksy- Some info for you about the Enduro held at QECP.

QECP Day & Night enduro 2014 – Race Report

QECP Trail Collective enduro 2014 – Vid

QECP Traill Collective enduro 2014 – Race report

For 2015 We will have the same 2 races but with some new stages, Day & Night in May and QECP trail collective endure in July. But as Superfli said expect them to sell out fast.

On another note I would highly recommend the Mini Enduro at FoD

weeksy

Thanks buddy.

Lets see if I survive the first one and how it rates for me personally first before I go in jumping in booking another

They’re (Lets be honest here) quite expensive proportionally compared to say XC racing… so for me to do more they’re going to have to be pretty damn good fun 🙂

weeksy

Scottfitz,

that looks bloody ACE mate.

scottfitz
    Free Member

They’re (Lets be honest here) quite expensive proportionally compared to say XC racing… so for me to do more they’re going to have to be pretty damn good fun

P.S QECP ones are £35 😉

pete68
    Free Member

Does look fun. Not as full on as I expected it to be, which for me would be a plus point. I’m looking forward to seeing weeksys report in a few weeks time. Maybe something to have a crack at in the future.

bombjack
    Free Member

The X-fusion races are pretty hard in the way that there is no practice and the trail is ridden blind. I raced in the opener at FOD and had a blast despite managing to have a substantial off on each stage. Don’t get too hung up on the transitions as they aren’t too tough and provide a good place to chat to other riders. my group were getting in 10-15 mins early before our start times, even if we had to push up a few climbs. As was posted earlier – pedalling is your friend, looking at the times I could have gained half a dozen places if I’d picked up a few second on each stage.
    I’m tempted to race the final mini enduro at FOD in November if its not been too wet. That many riders over the trails means if you get a low start number its a bit of a mud fest late in the day.
    Give it a go – The worst case scenario is that it makes you realise you need another bike to race on…:-)

weeksy

I think I have the ideal bike in many ways.. I can’t think of anything more suited

I’ll be happy to just not finish last at the moment.

zedz
    Free Member

weeksy you sound like me. I like the pedally bit 😀 and it enables me to stay in touch with the more technical types.

I’ve done two this year now, Eastridge which I found very tough just to stay on the course due to the rooty stuff and Gisburn on Sunday, which had bigger drops and stuff but was far more suited to what I am used to riding.

In retrospect Eastridge was seeded and felt a bit more serious, although the guys I raced with were good blokes, just not the ones I was used to riding with. Gisburn was more relaxed as you rode with your mates, no matter the category and I preferred that.

I am indeed happy that I didn’t finish last… yet!

njee20
    Free Member

They’re (Lets be honest here) quite expensive proportionally compared to say XC racing… so for me to do more they’re going to have to be pretty damn good fun

P.S QECP ones are £35[/quote]

So more expensive than a National XC race, even at Elite level, which is basically what Weeksy said! 😉

weeksy

Anyone else entering enduro1 event then?

Simwit

I am, with a mate. We’ve both done 2 Enduro1’s this year plus QECP’s last event & thoroughly enjoyed them all. I would say that each one has pushed me a little out of my comfort zone but that has ensured that I’ve come away feeling like I’ve really achieved something & with a massive smile on my face. You’re gonna love it.

weeksy

Shout if you fancy someone to chat to mate, save me being all alone.

Simwit

Weeksy, what category are you in? We’re both in Sport Vets.

jam-bo

Competitive masters here. Did the sport masters cat at grogley, got 7th in sport and third in masters so think is better move up to the big boys category.

nicksee
    Free Member

thinking of entering sport class, would by my first enduro. I have ridden the Greatwood a few times including on the uplift and really enjoy the tracks in them woods, will be a bit different prospect at race pace though!

scottfitz
    Free Member

I’m not going to make the enduro1 race. I have a local DH race on the same day at rogate 🙂 looking forward to that one.

jam-bo

Point to note. Sport class goes off last. Apparently at the last triscombe rd they ran some newish tracks that were utterly destroyed by the time the later riders came through.

Grogley we were pretty much in the last ten out of 150 riders but it had rained early and everything was drying out nicely.

njee20
    Free Member

That’s just racing, sometimes going last will be advantageous, sometimes it’ll be a handicap!

weeksy

Simwit – Member

Weeksy, what category are you in? We’re both in Sport Vets

Same as you mate yeah.

first, last, doesn’t really matter. You’re only racing the people in your class arguably, so they’ve got roughly the same conditions as you anyway.

For me it’s more about experiencing the event, seeing how it all works, making mistakes having the wrong kit, the wrong plan, etc. Learning from them, learning a few bike skills, but primarily, having a day out of fun.

weeksy

Simwit – Member

Weeksy, what category are you in? We’re both in Sport Vets

Same as you mate yeah.

first, last, doesn’t really matter. You’re only racing the people in your class arguably, so they’ve got roughly the same conditions as you anyway.

For me it’s more about experiencing the event, seeing how it all works, making mistakes having the wrong kit, the wrong plan, etc. Learning from them, learning a few bike skills, but primarily, having a day out of fun.

BTW, full face or XC lids ?

Simwit

I’ve only got an open face xc helmet so it’ll be that

weeksy

Yeah but would you run an FF if you had one ?

Simwit

From the rounds I’ve done so far I wouldn’t but there’s a fair few who do so it’s really what you’d feel safer/more comfortable in.

weeksy

I’ll probably go with the FF for my first event. Despite the fact it/I will get sweaty, I could do with the extra bit of protection maybe 🙂

Throw me a mail if you fancy a bit of company on the day, i’ll buy you boys a coffee 🙂

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

Formats vary but generally consist of:

1) riding at a sensible pace chatting with your mates between the stages
    2) riding (mostly downhill) stages like your pants are on fire

My top tip is to try not to break your bike by pushing too hard doing 2) because a major mechanical ruins your day. And to finish first, you first have to finish!

weeksy

Insurance lads ?

kevduckworth

Nice to hear some good things about the PMBA series. The final is in 2 weeks, October 4th/5th at Lee Quarry – the venue made famous by the Singletrack weekender – as well as Cock Hill near Todmorden. There are 2 courses, a 3-stage and a 5-stage enduro, both with plenty of gravity.

Press release:

The PMBA enduro series is a grass roots gravity series based in NW England and SW Scotland. This first year has been amazing with over 300 riders attending most rounds. The 1-day races in the forests of Gisburn, Grizedale and Kirroughtree have been great fun as well as highly acclaimed and now its time for the Grand Finale.

The 2 day race based at Lee Quarry and Cock Hill is being held over the weekend of 4/5th October. Free parking and camping is available for competitors and spectators. Saturday will see the majority of riders practice the 5 timed downhill stages before Sunday’s 20 mile course. With no seeding runs riders pick a start time and ride round with their mates keeping the event relaxed.

The racing starts with a timed stage in Lee Quarry before heading off over the moors passing near Facit on the way to Cock Hill woods nestled above Portsmouth. Stage 2 is hidden somewhere on this journey, stages 3 and 4 are then raced in quick succession at the popular downhill trail center. The final leg takes them back to Lee Quarry and up to the 5th and final stage.

There is a lot up for grabs, not a single category i decided a handful of riders can win each and every category and get one of the 6 £1000 Empire MX-6 Evo frame sets. With more prizes from KS and Hope Technology. Its not just the winners that win big, a lucky racer will win a weeks holiday with Ride Slovenia for themselves and a friend.

Enter here – https://www.sientries.co.uk/event.php?event_id=1341

For those not competing for the series overall a 1-day, 3 stage option is also offered. With practice Sunday morning and racing Sunday afternoon the compact format is the same as the previous 4 rounds. You will do stages 1,2 & 5 of the main event, and there wont do the 2 stages at Cockhill. The lap will be around 10 miles categories will depend on the takeup but we can promise as much fun as you have become accustomed too in the series.

This event will not count towards the series overall points but will count for your inclusion into the raffle for the weeks holiday with Ride Slovenia as long as you have done 3 of the first 4 rounds.

We are also offering a Saturday only event, if you want to just ride the 5 stages without being timed. Please be aware you cannot ride stages 2,3&4 or some of the transitions other than at this event as we are using private land. Many thanks to Cowm Leisure, AG Aggregates, the Lord of the Manor of Bacup, Bacup Council, Lancashire County Council and Dirt Trax Limited for the kind use of the land without which the event would not have been possible.

As always PMBA’s resident photographer Nick Moor will be out and about taking your photograph, many of which will be uploaded to our Facebook page as a free copy.

Can we also take the opportunity to to thank our sponsors:
    Ride-On for sponsoring the final round
    Empire cycles – who will be giving 6 MX-6 Evo frames to the 6 category winners
    Hope Technology
    Singletrack
    KS Dropper Seatposts
    Ride Slovenia

Kev
    PMBA Events and Communications

jam-bo

just entered the quantocks enduro1. here’s hoping the weather holds for another week or so.

hopefully going up this saturday for a little reminder of what to expect.

weeksy

You have ? Nice one mate.

I’m still going on my own for my baptism of fire, never having done an Enduro and never having done the Quantocks too. LOL.

Happily, my fitness is pretty decent at the moment, so on that side of things I should be ok… my skills… open to debate 🙂

jam-bo

Looking more likely the weathers going to break. Hope you like wet roots…

weeksy

As stated mate, this one for me is just to experience the day, the event, how it all works etc. I like wet roots as much/little as the next man I guess.. 🙂

jam-bo

Start timings are up. Lucky no 88 for me…

http://www.enduro1.co.uk/race4-2014.php

weeksy

Thanks mate.

The event may be a problem for me now. I’ll update the thread closer to the time.

Viewing 35 posts - 41 through 75 (of 75 total)

The topic ‘Enduro – Tell me more please.’ is closed to new replies.