Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Enduro racing – haven't got a clue, fun class on a SS hardtail?
  • jimmers
    Free Member

Doing it for a laugh. Really can’t be bothered to put gears on my bike for one event.

The event is the QECP enduro enduro link

I know area well (apart from the enduro route) and I can get up the hills easily enough. And most of the time on the descents its free wheeling anyhow so is gears really going to make much of a difference for the grin factor?

Bike is a C456 with Sektor coil 150mm (u-turn) forks upfront and wide-ish tyres

Also will I need pads?

Cheers

tomhoward

on the descents its free wheeling anyhow

Err, yeah…

Northwind

The big thing about enduro, is that done well it’s fun whether you’re first or 300th- no need for a fun class, that just implies (accurately?) that the other classes aren’t fun 😉 So yeah, why not? I did the UKGE innerleithen round on a hardtail, albeit one with gears because I’m not a hippy. (I think there were only 4 of us though out of 300+, so a singlespeed will probably be in a class of 1)

Pads… Not needed, unless required by the rules. But not a bad idea, the stages are normally- should be- challenging and putting a clock on things can up the pace…

40mpg

I haven’t got a clue either, but at least I’ve got gears. Can someone explain how it works please? I’m guessing we’re just timed on the downhill bits, but does it make any difference how quick you get back up again? Can you get more runs in and is that any benefit?

I might have to borrow some pads, at least to look the part.

Edit – James, I’ll try to get along for a scout around in teh next few weeks (Pete knows the routes) – I’ll let you know when if you want to meet up

martinh
    Free Member

If you’re looking to have fun then any bike will do.

I’ve not ridden QECP but I know that I’d not be able to peddle fast enough on my SS at some of the UKGE events. I had to peddle like a crazy in the smallest gear on my 1×10 last year at Inners and even then I don’t think I was going fast enough. But if its muddy you might be at an advantage

I always wear kneed pads for enduro, too many roots, trees and rocks for my ageing body.

jimmers
    Free Member

Yep looking to have fun.

40mpg: Sounds good.

From what I can figure out you basically chat and pootle between fun runs, then repeat.

When it’s all over someone tells you how much faster everyone is then go home and crack open a beer (or the nearest pub).

Might get some flexy knee pads just in case. I’ve got some old hard shin and knee pads but for all day riding they will probably be overkill I imagine.

jimmers
    Free Member

QECP is not that hilly, short and steep mostly.

scottfitz
    Free Member

Hi Jimmers I am one of the QECP Trail collective organising the event.

Bike is a C456 with Sektor coil 150mm (u-turn) forks upfront and wide-ish tyres

sounds perfect.

It will be great fun on a SS. I run SS in the winter if i can be bothered. what ratio are you running?

If I was racing it I would where my knee pads, gloves, Glasses & Open face helmet.

Any other questions fell free to ask. (I can’t tell you the route) 😉

jimmers
    Free Member

what ratio are you running?

Probably a 32:16 which is on there at the moment.

Are elbow pads worth a consideration?

scottfitz
    Free Member

Probably a 32:16 which is on there at the moment.

Are elbow pads worth a consideration? That is what I run. You will spin out but there are lots of bit where no one will be pedalling down.

If you have them you might as well. There is going to be a morning practice so you can make the call after practice.

MadPierre

No idea about that event but I’ve done a fair few Gravity Enduros and there was a heck of a lot of pedalling flat out on stages, even on what most people would call full on DH tracks. Absolutely knackered every stage!

Personally I wouldn’t want to do one without gears

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Enduro racing – haven't got a clue, fun class on a SS hardtail?’ is closed to new replies.