Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Enduro 650b, anyone running a coil shock?
  • deano8
    Free Member

Canecreek inline needs a service!
    My options are
    Straight service £100
    Upgrade it to an inline coil £200
    Replace with monarch debonair £425
    Replace with new yoke and fox van £420
    I ride mainly Chicksands/Woburn and trail centres, favs are black mountain/bpw and revolution.
    Any advice welcome

Tracey

Does it need a service or is it faulty

cyclelife
    Free Member

Got a Coil on my Mega 275 which I use for Chickie, Antur etc. Kept the Monarch for XC/Trail Centres etc, well pleased as it’s only a matter of 2 mins to swop them over.
    If you can get one for £200! do it.

dizcostix
    Free Member

I’ve got an inline coil on my airdrop edit and love it. Have always preferred the feel of coil to air.

The climb switch works great on it for the long slog climbs. It does come with a weight penalty though. My 200x57mm shock with standard steel spring +mount hardware weighed in at 740g.
    I was comparing it against my other potential option of the DBAir CS with claimed weight being 510g + 40g for the mount hardware.

I thought the extra weight was worth the try and I’m not disappointed with the performance.

poah
    Free Member

got a DB coil IL and an nukeproof SLS spring from CRC (£70) weighs in at 650g 216×63 on my suppressor. its miles ahead of the debonair that was on it originally.

deano8
    Free Member

Tracey, needs a service I believe. Out of warranty.
    Cyclelife – it would be £200 to convert it to coil not to buy another one.
    Are coil shocks easier on your joints over rough stuff?

Tracey

They have had a lot of problems with them on the Enduro. Quite alot of these have been replaced under warranty. Our last one has just been replaced by them with a Rockshox as it started to knock and then loose air. If you are the original owner it may be worth the phone call.
    Other option is to look at the Ohlins as a replacement. Abigale competed all this season with the air one and the Hope team have been running the coil version

mikewsmith
    Free Member

A proper set up shock will be, no reason the air can’t be and no reason unless you get it right the coil will be.
    In theory you should be able to get the current CC to do whatever you want it to, best bet is to get some help setting stuff up.

Tom_W1987
    Free Member

Yes, for a given sag, the coil will have more midstroke support – so will be more supportive in low speed berms etc – in rought stuff they tend to use a little more travel as they have a more linear ending stroke. So basically your coil shock can feel as supportive as your current air shock, yet blow off more in rock gardens.

Dilwyn
    Free Member

Of the options you have there I’d definitely go for the inline coil for £200.
    I don’t have an enduro 650 but I’ve ridden them with the inline air, monarch and ohlins shocks. The ohlins is (unsurprisingly) far and away the better shock.
    I’ve only ridden a piggy back double barrel and not on an enduro but if the inline is anywhere near to that then it will get you close to the ohlins performance without the cost or weight, and you can set it up exactly as you like.

I’ve had a couple of enduro 29ers with monarchs and they are pretty good but definitely not worth £400. You should try returning the inline as specialized have replaced a couple of mine with monarchs on warranty. I’d still choose an inline coil for £200 though.

deano8
    Free Member

Thanks for all your input, I’m just worried about reliability issues even with the updated internals.
    A friends cotic rocket shock had to be sent back after only 4 weeks of riding:(
    Anyone had problems with the coil version?

lardman
    Free Member

I have a DB coil on my enduro (lowly 26″ tho) but its a great shock. Much better than my previous Vanilla RC.
    When you’re really steaming along, it’s so much more controlled. I tinkered with the various settings a fair bit, to get it just right. But, it’s fab now.

lardman
    Free Member

2 years hammering and not a problem with my DB coil so far. And, i’m 18 stone, running it on a 180mm bike in the Alps and BPW type of riding.

gkeeffe

Send your CC db inline to TF Tuning. Tell them what you want it to feel like.

Mine came back and it’s been a revelation since.

deano8
    Free Member

Thank you all for replies,
    gkeeffe – what did you ask for that was different from a normal service?

gkeeffe

Hi. If you call them you can explain your weight, riding style and the feel you want and they set it up for you. Their service was brilliant and once I put it on the bike it felt perfect!

90 quid all in!

markyboy
    Free Member

so can a cane creek inline air be convered to a coil???

nixie

Don’t know but it can be converted to the new [il] spec. Mine has had basically this done when it went back under warranty (everything apart from the different colour shaft and lever).

In the mean time I bought a frame which came with a DB coil. That feels great and I can’t be bothered to swap them (dispite the coil not having a climb switch).

teethgrinder

Weight-wise, for 200x57mm normal non-Spesh Enduro:
    555g for a DB AirCS
    743g for a DB Coil with a Ti 450lb spring

Both include identical hardware.

Run mine on a 2016 Spitfire. Both will be getting used at BPW this weekend.

chakaping
    Free Member

Why will you use both?

teethgrinder

Because I can!

chakaping
    Free Member

I like the cut of your jib.

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

The topic ‘Enduro 650b, anyone running a coil shock?’ is closed to new replies.