Viewing 33 posts - 1 through 33 (of 33 total)
  • Endura Baa Baa socks / Winter socks (or Woolie Boolie ?)
  • fubar
    Free Member

confused as there appear to be 2 models of Baa Baa socks yet the one described as winter sock contains less wool is more expensive (well £10 for one pair rather than £15 for 2 pair). Anybody able to explain how these differ in use..is one type thicker, is one warmer ?

BaaBaa Merino Winter Sock

BaaBaa Merino Sock

or do Woolie Boolie beat them both ?

Your experience welcomed. thanks

honourablegeorge

I have Defeet socks that are six or seven years old, still perfect

Every Endura sock I have fell apart.

Woolie Boolies are VERY warm

BoardinBob

On One 3 pairs of merino socks for a tenner or if you want thicker, longer ones, pop into Mountain Warehouse and buy their merino socks in their 2 for 1 deal. £7 for two pairs of super thick, warm socks.

BoardinBob

Every Endura sock I have fell apart.

My Baa Baa long sleeved base layer fell to bits in a couple of months. Never again.

trail_rat
    Free Member

conversely i wore(and washed) my baabaa long sleeve every day for a 6 month tour of hot places – that was 6 years ago ….it only recently started to fall apart !

the winter and woolie boolie are not just “merino” socks. far warmer than normal merino socks.

enduras ordinary merino socks are pish.

if you can live without the merino then their thermolite socks are brilliantly warm.

dragon
    Free Member

I’ve got the following: Endura Thermolite, DeFeet Woolie Boolie, On-One Merino, Assos Winter Sock and two pairs of Bridgedale in different weights.

The Bridgedale and Woolie Boolie are definitely the warmest, however, they are very thick which means I can’t fit them into my normal cycling shoes.

The Endura Thermolite and Assos are a bit thinner, hence, a bit less warm but I can wear them in my normal cycling shoes. (Hence, the Endura and Assos get used most in winter with the Endura being better VFM.)

On-One are awful, very thin, wear out quickly, poor quality. AVOID.

fubar
    Free Member

So, I think, the winter version is really warmer despite less merino. I have some thermolite and they have been decent but was wondering if there was anything warmer without increasing the bulk too much (I rode with quality walking socks at the weekend but was still feeling the nip without the overshoes)

njee20
    Free Member

Woolie Boolies are amazing. I’ve got a couple of pairs of BaaBaas, nice socks, but thin (they’re probably not the winter ones) and nowhere near as warm as WBs.

Northwind

The baa baa merino winters are much thinner than the woolie boolies, they don’t really feel like a winter outdoors sock to me, just not all that warm. They’ve held together much better than most endura socks mind (I damaged one pair but to be fair, I wasn’t taking good care of them)

Certainly not competition for the woolie boolies, which are far warmer and longer lasting.

fubar
    Free Member

I’m going to try the Woolie Boolies (and also search the laundry basket to find where my Endura Thermolite ones are hiding)
    thanks

scotroutes

The Baa Baas come in two thicknesses. Only one is advertised as a winter sock.

Northwind

Giro do a good merino winter sock- not as warm as a woolie boolie, but thinner and a bit less… wooly. Similiar sort of thickness to the baabaas but way better. I got a couple of pairs for cheap last year, but it’s these ones:

http://www.athleteshop.co.uk/giro-sokken-giro-merino-winter-60887?gclid=CPj77qHFlcICFSIYwwodFEgAzw

njee20
    Free Member

Looking at the pictures I have the standard BaaBaas, rather than the winter ones, and I’ve never really tried them in winter I must say, but WBs are so good I feel no need to look elsewhere!

medoramas
    Free Member

Woolie Boolies are the best socks ever made. I’ve used mine for more than 2 years now, a lot of heavy use and one sock have only just developed small hole on a heel.

I bought two pairs of Endura’s – after few weeks there was not much left to wear…

Another amazing winter socks I found are these .

peteimpreza

Defeet all the time.

Comfortable, warm and long lasting.

onandon
    Free Member

Woolie boolies are great. I have three pairs fro general winter walking and riding and after three years they still look and perform great.

hegdehog
    Free Member

No doubt Woolie Boolies are very good, but these are even better-

http://www.groundeffect.co.nz/product/ACC/ZIG

Pricey with the postage though..

justinbieber

The standard Endura merino socks are pish. The feel great initially, but shrink to nothing when washed as per the instructions. Never again

richmtb

Sock Guy Wooligans are good too. Warm and very comfy without being overly thick

trail_rat
    Free Member

sockguys fell apart for me …..

they blamed the length of my toe nails for the holes at the toe…..

never did get a reply when i pointed out that both my big toe nails reside in a quarry in Durham after severe(and bloody painful) trauma during a hill running race.

hatter

Another vote for Wooly Boolies, my Mother in Law lives in the states where they’re much easier to get and has learnt that they make a very easy Christmas present for me, I get a new pair every year and now have quite a collection.

They’re ace, get some.

njee20
    Free Member

my Mother in Law lives in the states where they’re much easier to get

Eh? Virtually every major retailer sells them. The first page of Google shows Wiggle, Halfords and Merlin, all with stock. 😕

gonetothehills
    Free Member

Have a look at the Save Our Soles ones through On One. 5″ length merino ones work well and less too, but I have to say that Bridgedale knee length merino blend ski socks are what I use in the worst of it.

medoramas
    Free Member

my Mother in Law lives in the states where they’re much easier to get
    Eh? Virtually every major retailer sells them. The first page of Google shows Wiggle, Halfords and Merlin, all with stock.

Over there you can get them at your local newsagent. :mrgreen:

brakes
    Free Member

I wear Endura Baa Baa normal merino ones in all weathers and they’re great apart from the fact that they shrink but that’s probably how I’m washing them. they certainly haven’t even started to show signs of wear after a year.
    I don’t like thick socks at all so would prefer to get extra warmth from overshoes.
    The On Ones ones are good but thicker without being warmer.

fubar
    Free Member

the one described as winter sock contains less wool

I’m surprised no one picked me up on this. The winter version of the Baa Baas having a lower percentage content of merino does not necessarily mean there is less total merino in there. I didn’t actually check the total mass of both types.

Anyhow thanks again – I’ll try the Woolie Boolies first.

rosscopeco
    Free Member

Baa Baa ‘normal’ merino owner here. I bought 3 pairs on a special 5 years ago and they’re still going well despite 3 years of daily 15mile commute and 2/3 times a week out on the MTB.

I use them all year round and just change from a summer shoe to a winter boot depending on the conditions.

WFM

hatter

When she first started getting them for me 6 years ago they were rarer on these shores, and they’re generally a bit cheaper in the states too.

Haven’t had to shop for them recently for obvious reasons.

njee20
    Free Member

When she first started getting them for me 6 years ago they were rarer on these shores, and they’re generally a bit cheaper in the states too.

Fair enough, my LBS has been stocking them for the 15+ years I’ve been going there, didn’t realise there were supply issues! They always used to be imported by Jim Walker and available to any shop!

I’m surprised no one picked me up on this. The winter version of the Baa Baas having a lower percentage content of merino does not necessarily mean there is less total merino in there. I didn’t actually check the total mass of both types.

To be fair, that would be epic pedanticness, even by STW standards, I think it was clear what you meant, rather than talking specific gram quantities!

iainc

if you have roomy winter boots then a decent pair of thick hiking socks work well, I have a couple of pairs, with the thicker ones being good to minus 5 and below on winter snowy night rides in my Defrosters.

I have Woolie Boolies as well, but they are too thick for my shoes and too thin for my Defrosters, volume wise

CalamityJames
    Free Member

Another vote for the Woolie Boolies. I have two pairs that have been worn at least once a week for two years and are pretty much as new.

fubar
    Free Member

I bought some Woolie Boolies. I had a quick check and my shoes still just fit so don’t think they are too bulky. I’m saving the first test to a longer ride at the weekend (hopefully that guarantees sunshine!).
    thanks all

plus-one

Used these for years in winter … Superb

http://www.costco.co.uk/view/product/uk_catalog/cos_3,cos_3.12,cos_3.10.2/144857?category=cos_3.10.2

Hopefully in stock of your local costco mine have them all year round

Viewing 33 posts - 1 through 33 (of 33 total)

The topic ‘Endura Baa Baa socks / Winter socks (or Woolie Boolie ?)’ is closed to new replies.