Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Encyclopaedia Britiannica 1950 14 volumes..What can I do with them?
  • deadslow

These were given to me by my grandfather but honestly haven’t really used them in 20 years. We no longer have acres of shelf space so I want to get rid of them.
    I have tried; local school, charity shop, freecyle and even a 0.99p listing on fleabay. I cant bring myself to just burn or tip them so what can I do with them and cant come with anything creative.
    Any suggestions or takers? Postcode is RG10 (Reading)

globalti
    Free Member

Sorry, unless they are a special edition or something special, nobody wants them.

You could try emailing somebody like TWAM (Tools With A Mission) who send stuff in containers to Africa.

br
    Free Member

We have a charity nearby that takes in books and then have handicapped/etc folk try to see whether there’s any value in them.

Feels a better way, rather than just binning them.

http://www.abebooks.co.uk/bookdonors-cic-selkirk/8732293/sf

Maybe an equivalent near you?

alexpalacefan

Make book safes as gifts?

http://www.wikihow.com/Make-a-Hollow-Book

APF

shermer75
    Free Member

So, looking at wikipedia it seems that the 2010 edition was the last one to be printed, 12,000 sets (now all sold). That’s quite an end of an era! I wonder if the old sets, like the one the OP has, will become valuable as antiques?

tonyd

OP, I’ll take them! I’m in Crowthorne so can collect easily enough, just let me know when and where. Not sure where I’ll put them but they’ll be well thumbed I can assure you 🙂

Edit: Oh hang on, 14 volumes – there should be 24?

deadslow

Yes there are 24 & index, just wasn’t concentrating when posting.
    tonyd: YGM
    Cheers

tonyd

YGM back.

matt_outandabout
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Encyclopaedia Britiannica 1950 14 volumes..What can I do with them?’ is closed to new replies.