Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 42 total)
  • Employment Milestone
  • fwokinfwok
    Free Member

When is it appropriate to acknowledge someone’s time served? Got a couple of people coming up to 20 years and I’m a bit unsure if I should do something or not.

iDave
    Free Member

Are you pleased that they work for you? Do they know that?

Personally I think it’s tragic that someone would stick at the same job for 20 years.

wwaswas

have you got anyone there with more than 20 years who didn’t get acknowledgement? Will pee them off if you do somethign different this time…

Having said that, some sort of acknowledgement would be welcome, I expect – people who work for comapanies for that length of time have a strong emotional commitment to their employer.

Vouchers at a dept store or something? Doesn’t need to be £1000’s but a small presentation in the workplace plus a card would be a good thing to do.

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

Even a decent meal out with the top bosses is an acknowlegement…

fwokinfwok
    Free Member

No, these two have been here the longest. Why is it tragic to work somewhere for 20 years?

Xan
    Free Member

We get £250 after 25 years toward a night out or a gift of our choice.

Even a decent meal out with the top bosses is an acknowledgement…

No offence but I couldn’t think of anything worse.

Why not look at a nominal amount of High Street vouchers. 20 years seems about right for me. definitely a nice touch and lets face it in the grand scheme of things if they have done a good job for you for all those years what is a couple of hundred quid. Personally I would consider the following

£100 at 10 years
    £200 at 20 years
    £300 at 30 years
    £400 at 40 years
    £500 for a retirement do (or this only if it co-coincides with another milestone)

momo

My place gives vouchers at 15, 20, 25 and 30 years, company hasn’t been in existence for 40 years yet but I’m sure that they’ll put something in place for when they have (in 3 years time), assuming that there are some people left from the formation of the company, I know that my immediate manager started in ’73 and isn’t due to retire until 2015.

They also give additional leave in recognition, but are phasing that out for next financial year, but increasing the value of vouchers given at the same time, my oppo has just hit his 20 year mark (started as an apprentice engineer and has been here ever since) and he’s been given £400 in vouchers and 5 extra days leave next year.

druidh
    Free Member

Thanks to the wonderful world of TUPE, I got a 25th year award from IBM and another one from HBOS – with a certificate for each, so it looks like I have over 50 years work experience 🙂

To the OP – put something in place now for 25 years. Those high street vouchers area good idea.

nockmeister
    Free Member

At my company we celebrate 25 and forty years service. We get a presentation dinner for 40 friends and colleagues. A present to the value of about £500 from the company. A present from the 40 attendees of the dinner. Er I think a months tax free wage and an extra years holiday entitlement…just hope the business can last another 2yrs 😉

KINGTUT
    Free Member

Personally I think it’s tragic that someone would stick at the same job for 20 years.

Why?

iDave
    Free Member

I think to spend that much time at one place of employment illustrates a dire lack of appreciation that we only get one shot at living, it’s a big world and there are a lot of more interesting ways to spend the most valuable years of your life. I could be wrong, but I’d hate to find out the hard way.

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

No offence but I couldn’t think of anything worse

Nor could I. But it seems that it makes people who’ve given long service to one organisation feel appreciated.

It’s also pretty common practice and believe it is easier to get past the tax man.

nockmeister
    Free Member

it’s a big world and there are a lot of more interesting ways to spend the most valuable years of your life.

like spending it on a bike forum… 😕

SurroundedByZulus
    Free Member

20 years in the same place – sounds like they’re stuck in a rut.

druidh
    Free Member

iDave – Member
    I think to spend that much time at one place of employment illustrates a dire lack of appreciation that we only get one shot at living, it’s a big world and there are a lot of more interesting ways to spend the most valuable years of your life. I could be wrong, but I’d hate to find out the hard way.

The most interesting things I’ve done in my life are usually done outwith work. YMMV.

thomthumb
    Free Member

definately do something. I work with some guys who have worked at the same place almost 50 years (not joking!!) and never had as much as a thank you! seeing the way they feel unappreciated and the attitude they have it will ultimately be in your interest to do something.

Might be wise to tailor it? even if you took everyone for a pint (and picked up the tab) at least they’d realise it hasn’t gone unnoticed.

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

Maybe their just content with their lives

missingfrontallobe
    Free Member

iDave – Member

I appreciate that, but it was only after 20 years in the same job (nurse) that health has made me try and live a bit more. None of us have inbuilt foresight to know what is around the corner. Writing as a 40-something year old, when I started in my career at the age of 18 gap years were not really heard of, and TBH I was more focused on getting paid to train & qualify to earn some money for a house.

I suppose I could leave & retrain to do something else now, with a subsequent drop in pay, but perhaps little chance to utilise the skills & knowledge I’ve gained in the last 22 years.

warton
    Free Member

I work for a company that has 200,000 employees and opportunities worldwide. I work with people that travel the world, earning good money and living and working in great cities, many of them are in their forties and have been doing it for 20 odd years. Are they stuck in a rut?

crikey
    Free Member

I think to spend that much time at one place of employment illustrates a dire lack of appreciation that we only get one shot at living
    +1

I’d rather have the surgeon who operates on me to be fresh out of uni, experience? Pah, waaaay over-rated….

iDave
    Free Member

crikey – your post relates to a long career, rather than a long time in the same place of work with the same colleagues. Different thing entirely.

Gary_M
    Free Member

Bit of a nonsense statement that one as they could have held quite a number of positions in that 20 years. This statement suggests that you have no idea how many modern businesses operate and have very limited life experience. Or you’re just not very good at any job you’ve ever tried.

Xan
    Free Member

I work for a company that has 200,000 employees and opportunities worldwide. I work with people that travel the world, earning good money and living and working in great cities, many of them are in their forties and have been doing it for 20 odd years. Are they stuck in a rut?

Similar story here. Company with 140k employees in 50 countries. I’ve had 6 different roles 5 promotions, worked in 5 different cities, have a good pension that my company pays into. I wouldn’t say I’m stuck in a rut, just happy with what I have. Also I know the grass isn’t always greener so why move from somewhere were I am happy working for a company I enjoy working with. (p.s. I have no intention in going anywhere soon!! Have thought about it but always decided I was better off where I was)

crikey
    Free Member

rather than a long time in the same place of work with the same colleagues. Different thing entirely.

No, Dave.

Surgeons and the like spend their careers in the same place. As do GPs, as do most doctors and the majority of nurses.

I understand your point, but I think you didn’t really think it through and have underestimated the value of long years of experience.

I’d prefer an old pilot; at least he’s proved he doesn’t crash.

Try sticking around; get good at stuff.

ScottChegg
    Free Member

The folk who get parachuted into companies make a complete arse of themselves and move along are poison to a good place to work. I’ve seen loads here. Sometimes they leave before they are found out, sometimes they ‘leave the business to pursue other avenues’ The good ones stay, and are valued.

If I had a rubbish job working for a crap company I might want to look around. But I don’t.

20 years next year. Experience; you can’t buy it.

iDave
    Free Member

I suppose my view is distorted as I’ve only been an employee for 5 years out of a 21 year working life. I work as, when and where I choose. You can get good at stuff without being in the same job for 20 years…

Gary_M
    Free Member

That’s your choice dave and I don’t think anyone feels the need to put you down because of it. You seem to think that everyone who makes a different choice from you is a loser. Perhaps many of us don’t need to keep searching for something to make their lives feel complete.

iDave
    Free Member

You seem to think that everyone who makes a different choice from you is a loser.

Do I really think that? Oh. Wow. Never realised.

Gary_M
    Free Member

That’s how it comes across, yes.

I would also have thought that someone with such awesome life experience as you dave would know your own mind, clearly not. Love the way you typed ‘wow’ in a schoolboy stylee too.

Xan
    Free Member

I work in a business that uses alot of profesional contractors (IT Project Management) and imo no matter how much you pay these people they dont compare to an experienced member of staff. think the average length of service in my area outside the contractors in about 8 years.

Trekster

iDave – Member
    I suppose my view is distorted as I’ve only been an employee for 5 years out of a 21 year working life.

That explains your comment then….
    So my 32yrs in the same job means what in your educated opinion?
    We have some guys at work around your age and I can understand where you are coming from, they think that way. Unfortunately, or maybe fortunately for them when they make a f—up of things it is me who has to get the spanners out and fix their f—-ups.

Current job is actually my third of my working life. When I started this job there was around 1300 workers, now down to 350ish and due to shrink by around 50-60 next year through retirements.
    The site when I started had 4 different plants and then 5 and I was fortunate to work in them all in my role as a mobile tradesman. There are now only 2 plants.

During my working life I have had experience of building and maintaining rally cars, training as a swimming + life saving teacher, help run a swimming club, training in cycle skills and been on committees for car clubs, squash clubs, school boards and various other odds and ends.

My working shifts for 30 of those 32yrs facilitated all my extra curricular activities and I am still happy doing what I am.
    Retire in 6yrs btw

You can get good at stuff without being in the same job for 20 years…

Can agree with that, been there, done it, but not in every job/profession

Torminalis
    Free Member

A friend of mine knew someone who worked for a big corporate (I think it was HP) and after 20 years she got a six month paid sabbatical!

Northwind

Some sort of recognition is good but it seems to me that making a big thing of it is something companies do when they know they don’t give their staff the recognition they deserve any of the other 5053 days they’ve worked there. Or is that just me being cynical?

druidh
    Free Member

OMG: Northwind = Cynic-Al???

I thought it was TJ all along.

aracer
    Free Member

Only 3 more years to become tragic.

Didn’t it used to be tradition to get a gold watch at 25 years?

Personally I had 22 years with the same company, albeit the structure of the company changed somewhat over the latter 3-4 years.

There were times that I wanted to leave for various reasons, but then maybe the fact that I knew my gaffer quite well, and it started as a small, local firm and not a faceless large company had some bearing on why I served my time.

I worked my way up from apprentice electrician, to foreman, supervisor and contracts manager on £40k, pension, healthcare, company car etc. and had a fairly free role for the majority. If I turned up an hour late it went unquestioned and if I needed a random day off, likewise.

Who knows where my career would have ended up had I left at some point, but ultimately i’d have struggled to walk into a similar job with the same level of renumerations.

Towards the end, I could hardly recognise the company I’d spent the majority of my life working for and the stress of the job reached a climax, so I took redundancy a few months before they shut the doors anyway. That decision has so far turned out to be a massive success, but I wouldn’t say staying at the same place so long did me any harm – the experience, climb up the ladder and salary exceeded many others I’ve known, or have indeed seen come and go from that particular company.

uplink
    Free Member

When i completed my 20 yrs last year, the company flew my wife & me to Paris for the weekend
    Nice hotel, wine & food

mrmo
    Free Member

20years in same place, probably got a decent pension why jeopardise it. Maybe it suits the rest of their life, work is not the be all and end all you know, maybe they know the job, maybe they like the people they work with, maybe they have non-transferable skills, so a change of job would mean a pay cut, just some thoughts.

hh45
    Free Member

Surely all that matters is that people are free to come and go or to stay as they please? The shame is that there aren’t more decent jobs going full stop. Personally I have done 17 years (out of 20)and hopefully will not move again. One guy clocked up 40 years last month. For me the grass is not always greener but it should be a free choice not diktat.

br
    Free Member

My ex-boss only worked for one company. Started in goods-in as a schoolboy and worked his way up to Group IT Director.

He retired mid 50’s on a mega-pension. There wasn’t much he didn’t know about how the business/industry worked, in fact I’d say he was wasted and could have been better used.

Me on the other hand, I’ve managed 10 companies and 2 stints of self-employed/contracting in +25 years, along with 6 redundancies…

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 42 total)

The topic ‘Employment Milestone’ is closed to new replies.