Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Employment law/sick pay question
  • docrobster
    Free Member

Is an employer allowed to decide that if a person is off sick due to a sporting injury, that they class this as self inflicted and therefore the employee is not entitled to sick pay?
    I’ve just seen a guy who injured his ankle playing football, “wasn’t allowed” sick pay so used his holidays instead, returned to work before it was healed, and then re-injured it (manual job) so is now off sick longer.
    The employer is a huge company, and this policy seems absolutely bonkers as people who participate in sport are generally healthier and I would expect have less time off than those who sit on their arses shoving pizza in.
    Is this legally enforcable?
    I imagine he has signed a contract agreeing to this but surely it isn’t legal?
    He should have lied and said it happened when he was getting up off the sofa for another beer!
    Unfortunatley for him he’s not in a union.
    I’ve told him to seek advice. Any experts in?

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

It all depends on what is in his contract. Its a stupid and shortsighted policy but companies can do this if they want.

Junkyard
    Free Member

hence why I always trip walking down the street. I have never ever injured myself on a bike FACT

docrobster
    Free Member

Does have an employer have a right to know the cause of the illness though?
    Sick note doesn’t have to state what the cause of the injury is.
    I guess if it’s over and above SSP they can prolly get away with it though.
    Bonkers

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

The topic ‘Employment law/sick pay question’ is closed to new replies.