Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Employment law – sickness – resignation
  • nuttysquirrel
    Free Member

As this forum is the answer to everything, I thought I would ask here first…! I’m about to resign my job – I may as well anyhow – I’m still in probationary period and they are looking to get rid of a lot of a people due to a massive deficit. I have been on sick leave for two weeks and have been in the hospital in that time and the likelihood of this getting better in the near future are slim.

However, because they are cutting costs where possible, and being quite mercenary about it, is there any reason why I should not just resign because of ill health? i.e. is there something in law that means they can bypass paying me my last week’s notice for example? They have already tried to get me in a meeting while I was in hospital so I can imagine they would try everything they could (and have already dismissed most of my team).

Thanks very much in advance.

jambalaya
    Free Member

Why resign, they are still paying you ? Just take the money and wait for them to make you redundant. Whilst I imagine they’d rather do that face to face they can just send you a letter. Just focus on getting better and don’t stress the work situation

Healing vines and best wishes

legend
    Free Member

This ^ make them jump through all the required hoops, and if you get a sniff of them not doing it by the book make sure they are taken to task on it

slackboy

Don’t resign. You’ll give up your entitlement to statutory sick pay. you are getting sick pay at the moment I assume?

https://www.gov.uk/statutory-sick-pay/overview

jekkyl

yup, they can’t sack you while you’re off sick so string it along as long as you can. 😉

trail_rat
    Free Member

Why would you consider resigning. Sickness affects everyone at some point.

More so unless things are changed you lose your rights to any out of work benifits if you resign.

aphex_2k
    Free Member

Don’t you have much less of a leg to stand on with regard to employment rights if you’re on a probationary period / temp contract?

Drac

No need to resign.

They can sack you, they don’t need to pay redundancy but if they sack you then you can sign on sooner.

nuttysquirrel
    Free Member

Thanks everyone, your advice and wishes are very much appreciated.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Employment law – sickness – resignation’ is closed to new replies.