Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Employment conditions question
  • muddydwarf
    Free Member

One for TJ this i think!

Started working for a local engineering firm last week through an agency.
    Job advertised as 'toolroom cnc miller' and last week that's what i was doing, all well & good.
    Today they suddenly moved me into the finishing section where all the moulded plastic parts are trimmed & sanded/ground. This is really shite work, dusty as hell with little to no ventilation & the only PPE on offer is a paper mask.
    This isn't the job that was advertised and certainly not the job i was interviewed for.
    Can anyone tell me what grounds i have if i walk out citing false advertisment etc with the jobcentre people?
    I can't afford for them not to re-instate my dole for instance.

project
    Free Member

Usually says "other duties as may be required by the management",Unless youre a teacher and tyou dont have to clear snow or even make an effort to go to school.

muddydwarf
    Free Member

Thing is, i reckon this is a hazardous enviroment and i'm not prepared to risk my lungs for this pittance of a wage – mind i wouldn't risk my health for any wage.
    I've not signed any contract or even had an induction so there haven't been any T&C's made aware to me.

I'm more interested in whether i can still claim dole if the job turns out not to be the one advertised etc.

project
    Free Member

Ask the management why youve been transfered, whether to just help out or no cnc work.

Tell them youre not happy with the work conditions,they may well tell you to go,or move you back to CNCing.

CNC work is highly skilled and without it they would have no plastic mouldings.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Hmmmmmmmm

I am not sure. There is usually a catchall phrase in your contract as mentioned above.

PPE is statutory and there should be risk assessments and so on in place. Sounds like the paper mask is not enough.

If you just quit you probably will lose dole but if you can show the job is dangerous / unsuitable 'cos of no proper PPE/ risk assessments / health hazards to your asthma and so on you might be OK.

One for real advice I think. Have a look round the TUC site – it might have something.

muddydwarf
    Free Member

What happens if i haven't had a contract?

project
    Free Member

In employment you should have a contract,but you are employed by the agency, and they sent you to the plastics company.Ask them or tell them.

uplink
    Free Member

They've got something like 9 weeks in which to give you a contract – they don't have to give you it the day you start

Zulu-Eleven
    Free Member

dusty as hell with little to no ventilation & the only PPE on offer is a paper mask.

This rings alarm bells to be honest – PPE is not an alternative to proper ventilation, and it sounds like other options (proper dust control facilities etc) have not been explored as an alternative to PPE (which should only be used if all other methods are not viable)

Phone call to HSE?

muenchen1
    Free Member

The other half knows a bit about this sort of stuff. Apparently if you are temping through an agency e.g filling in timesheets for them then you should raise all issues with the agency – they have a responsibility to look after you. If you are permanent with a contract discuss with manager how much longer you will be posted to this area. Hope that helps.

Sandwich

As Z11 says PPE should be used in addition to Local Exhaust Ventilation not instead of. The dob the employer number is on the Health & Safety What You Should Know poster that must be displayed in all work places. What type of plastic is it? Report the type of dust to HSE they can get quite stroppy with employers who don't control dust emissions.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Employment conditions question’ is closed to new replies.