Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Employment advice please
  • dadandlad
    Free Member

My daughter works as a care assistant at a local care home on bank
    She has worked there for nearly a year and keeps being promised a full time contract if she can prove herself
    She did as asked working 96 hours in 9 days
    She then asked where her contract was and was told it is in the post only for nothing to turn up
    She then asked again about the contract and was told by a different member of staff it had not been sent and wasn’t going to be

Her manager went on holiday and to cut a long story short ended up having a argument with the duty nurse after asking to speak to someone in higher management

I did not mention whilst working there she had a miscarriage

During the argument it was brought up that the time off for the miscarriage was a excuse to go shopping

She has now had her shifts cancelled and suspended till her manager returns from holiday

She loves her job and is rather upset by it all, but I feel this large care providing company is walking all over her with false promises and bribery and due to being bank staff doesn’t seem to have many rights

My gut reaction if they fire her is to write to them myself and also contact the local paper

She has been in touch with ACAS and is now waiting to see what happens next

jota180
    Free Member

She’d probably be better looking elsewhere for similar work, I really don’t think she’ll get anything other than more stress chasing them

project
    Free Member

Care homes are mostly owned and run by pathetic money grabbing individuals or comapniies, whose sole reason in life is to maximise the profit for the owners while minimising the care they offer their staff and Residents.

Tell your daughter to move homes,plenty of jobs out there as very few people want the work for so little pay or gratitude from management.

When she finds a good home, then she will be happy along with other staff and residents.

edward2000
    Free Member

After working there for such a time it will be assumed that she is working under the terms and conditions of their contracts, irrespect whether or not she has signed it.

Is their any evidence to suggest she was shopping whilst away from work? Or is to a baseless accusation? Was she signed off work by a doctor? So what if she was shopping whilst signed off for compassionate leave, assuming she was? I’m not aware that taking compassionate leave means she isn’t allowed to exchange money for goods and services (shopping).

Perhaps advise her to take it as a learning experience (as to how ridiculous some people can be) and look for employment elsewhere as she loves her job but not the company.

hh45
    Free Member

The last three posts are correct. Loads of nice care homes out there where she will be appreciated and treated properly. Never worth the stress of continuing with current role. Use her Union to stop her being slagged off by the employer.

Trekster

project – Member
    Care homes are mostly owned and run by pathetic money grabbing individuals or comapniies, whose sole reason in life is to maximise the profit for the owners while minimising the care they offer their staff and Residents.

Sounds like my current site manager and that’s in manufacturing, don’t think it’s exclusive to care work 🙄

Use her Union to stop her being slagged off by the employer.

Being in one of the country’s biggest unions and having a site manager and others who’s current answer to any dispute is “well if you don’t like it you have choices to make” ie like it or lump it. Unfortunately for them people from both ends of the experience scale are lumping it 😆 last weeks announcement that managements annual merit(pay)awards have been rescheduled may start another exodus!!

Going by my daughters recent experience teaching isn’t much better 🙄

jimbobo
    Free Member

Care homes are horrible places to work and horrible places to live. The only people who are happy are the owners who never go to the care homes. Tell her to quit, become a care assistant in the NHS. Better pay, better prospects, better terms and on the whole nicer.

project
    Free Member

But in care work, numerous residents are paying considerable amounts of money for personal care, and the management are just raking in the cash an paying a pitance while offering little in the way of care.

Products being manufactured usually dont have families, feelings or emotions.

mikemorini
    Free Member

“Care homes are horrible places to work and horrible places to live”
    Sorry, but got to pull you up on that statement.
    Not all care homes are the same.
    We were lucky that for the last year of his life my dad was in a lovely home, with brilliant staff, and good owners.
    It wasn’t new and shiny, or an ideal building, but the atmosphere was good and homely. It made visiting him a whole lost easier for me and my mum knowing he was being well looked after.

Trouble is I suspect these homes are few and far between.

joepose
    Free Member

Totally feel for your daughter. Been there many years ago now. These homes can be run by pigs who shouldn’t be anywhere near a caring situation.
    My wife’s was accused of starving residents by a homes manager who just wanted her out after she found some dubious payments going through the books. Suspended for 2 years whilst they tried to pin all sorts of rubbish on her. Then when they couldn’t find a single thing to pin on her they invited her back to work or take a pay off. By this time they had sacked the manager for theft (a fridge) and suspended his henchmen. She decided to walk away from the business and they had to pay her some pretty healthy compensation.
    Its a long road but if you know you’ve done nothing wrong you stick in there and make them pay. ACAS are great – good luck.

jimbobo
    Free Member

Mikemorini, you’re right, there are some good ones and I’m glad you found one for you dad. Sadly they are few and far between. After years of working in and out of care, residential and nursing homes i have found maybe 4 in Leeds that I’d let anyone I knew stay in. Its a grim industry that exploits people with limited choice and limited time.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Employment advice please’ is closed to new replies.