Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • Employer wont allow internal job applications
  • v666ern
    Free Member

I know im moaning my my employer wont let me/anyone here apply for internal vacancies. A jobs come up in another team for a 10k pay rise which i can and have done before but my employer says they will only transfer people based on the needs of the company and if you move to another team it wont be with a pay rise?!

Problem being, I like the team i’m on and am genuinely happy…but 10k….

xiphon
    Free Member

Surely they have to legally advertise the job opening for anyone?

winston_dog
    Free Member

I suppose they can do what they like. However, seems pretty stupid and short sighted on their part.

If it was me I would be looking for another job similar to the internal post with a better salary.

Why did you leave the post originally, surely it would of been paying a premium then as well?

chewkw
    Free Member

v666ern – Member

Problem being, I like the team i’m on and am genuinely happy…but 10k….

Tell them you only want £5K to £6K increment …

Stupid employer.

binners

Maybe its just the polite way of saying ‘none of you useless tossers, who we seem to be saddled with until we can dream up a way of sacking you without an unfair dismissal trial, has got a snowball in hells chance of getting this job. Pay one of you monkeys 10k more than what you’re fleecing us for already? No chance! So don’t even bother. In fact; if you want to apply for a job somewhere else , preferably with a competitor, we’ll give you a glowing reference

Jus’ sayin’ like 😀

aracer
    Free Member

The obvious difference being that if you move to the other post they still have a vacancy they have to advertise and fill (and may have to offer a premium over what they’re paying you at the moment).

xiphon
    Free Member

I had the situation where my employers (tiny company – 5 of us!) advertised for an “equal” (going by the job description I found) position to mine – but 40% higher salary.

I said I would like to apply, and who would I send my CV to?

The advert (on Monster/CWJobs, local paper, etc) was pulled quickly and never spoke of again.

Same thing happened about 2 months ago at my current place of work – somebody spotted an “advert” for a job offering 25% more..

highclimber
    Free Member

Short-sighted employers should be ex-employers – I’d be looking for a new job.

v666ern
    Free Member

Maybe its just the polite way of saying ‘none of you useless tossers, who we seem to be saddled with until we can dream up a way of sacking you without an unfair dismissal trial, has got a snowball in hells chance of getting this job. Pay one of you monkeys 10k more than what you’re fleecing us for already? No chance! So don’t even bother. In fact; if you want to apply for a job somewhere else , preferably with a competitor, we’ll give you a glowing reference

Jus’ sayin’ like
    yeah probably!

Large architects BTW

is it lawful???

binners

On a serious note, I don’t think thats legal

aP
    Free Member

Which one?

winston_dog
    Free Member

Binners – I think it is legal.

What is illegal about it?

To be brutally honest I think your first post is probably closer to the truth.

scandal42
    Free Member

Opposite here.

Huge company, external recruitment freeze and only internal job applications for all roles.

Rather **** annoying for the temps, especially as the company is cash rich and monstrous in size.

wrecker
    Free Member

Ask him if you could resign and apply for it during your notice? 😀

thekingisdead
    Free Member

An external job offer would force the issue – they’re bound to ask why you want to leave.
    Question is, how much do they value you? 😉

v666ern
    Free Member

Yep, as much as I’d like the raise it would mean going back to volume house builders houses which is sole destroying mind numbing work. I’m learning working on schools in my current role and it’s really rewarding just not financially.

Company asked everyone to take a pay cut rather than redundancy when the recession hit, then haven’t put salaries back up…but now advertise jobs at ‘the going rate’

Mate applied for one and got called to the md’s office and told him he wasn’t allowed to apply and the agents had a strip torn off them

Northwind

I once got turned down for an internal role because, quote, “it’d be a load of extra hassle if we had to advertise for another vacancy, go through recruiting etc”. Thanks!

chakaping
    Free Member

Is there a union for architects?

I think it’s legal BTW, but a case where a bit of collective representation could help out.

epicyclo

If you’re good enough to be going for that promotion, but aren’t allowed, why not see what your firms competitors have going in the way of jobs?

Reckon your boss would quickly change his mind.

wiggles
    Free Member

If they don’t want you to move even if they let you apply the won’t give you the job anyway so seems pointless

wiggles
    Free Member

If they don’t want you to move even if they let you apply the won’t give you the job anyway so seems pointless

chestrockwell

I can’t believe they are allowed to do it if you have all the qualifications they ask for, have done all the courses required and meet the criteria laid down in the job description. I’d be taking legal advice.

Saying that, if they had any sense they’d give you an interview then give it to someone else.

v666ern
    Free Member

Agree with wiggles, oh well I’m not going to rock the boat on this one, kids to think of.
    Cheers all
    Merry Xmas to ya 😀

oldboy
    Free Member

I think this is the time to think seriously about moving on.

ampthill

I can’t see how they can stop you applying?

Can’t see what you can do if they don’t appoint you?

Are you in a union?

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

The topic ‘Employer wont allow internal job applications’ is closed to new replies.