Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • Emmental Tubeless
  • psycorp
    Free Member

Has anybody had any luck ghetto tubelessing OnOne Emmental fat rims?

The tyres (floaters) are on and inflated I’m just having real trouble getting the whole thing to seal. The front keeps weeping from the pinned joint and the tyre keeps coming away from the rim on the rear.

Any advice welcome.

dovebiker

O-O fatty wheels are notorious for being difficult to set-up tubeless – the fact that the bead is coming away shows that it is simply too slack / verging on dangerous. Folk have been successful packing out the rim with various combos of closed call foam and ghetto – too much hassle in my book.

psycorp
    Free Member

I had to pack out the centre of the rims with foam to get the tyres to inflate. I just expected that once I’d got that far it would all seal up. It’s looking like it won’t though.

akira

The floaters are insanely slack on rims so a real pain to get up tubeless. It can be done but takes a lot of faffing.

fifeandy
    Free Member

I’m quite dissapointed, i thought the thread was going to have an innovative new use for cheese.

psycorp
    Free Member

Sadly not, although the rims could well be made of cheese………….

kayak23

Have you taped the rims and joint?
    Had a lot of weeping from the joint on my Wazoo but taping the joint made a difference.
    Ghetto with foam.

freddiest

I’ve had success with foam and a split tube (goes up easy and no leaks or punctures since I did it in April) but it doesn’t save weight. Was going to try foam and gorilla tape but might give that a miss after reading this thread.

psycorp
    Free Member

I’ve taped the rims, on top of the foam, up to a couple of mm up the rim wall. The rear isn’t leaking from the joint but the front is. I even added a layer of tape onto the outside of the joint but it’s still leaking.

I may have to try the split tube method I think.

Northwind

The Emmenthal rim is the same as you get on the calibre dune as standard so everything that works for them will work for the emmenthal- check out the £1000 fatbike thread. I did mine first with foam and split tubes, then with foam and shrinkwrap and finally with taped-over foam, all had their advantages and disadvantages.

That was with jumbo jims, minions and a bud- never tried the on one tyres
    (if you go split tube, everyone recommends the AV10DH- but the standard AV10 is way lighter and cheaper, and fits perfectly. I do mean perfectly- you have to cut it right, there’s no room for screwups. But it’s a much better option than the DH, on an 80mm rim)

freddiest

Had a go with just tape today…no chance. The floater is just too slack on the rim it won’t stay on the bead. I might have stretched it by previously using a split tube (with foam) tho. I reckon with a tighter fitting tyre, the tape with no foam might have worked. Oh well… Looks like it’s back to split tubes and foam for me.

psycorp
    Free Member

Mine are really slack on the rim too Andy, hence the problems with the rear.

Is it absolutely necessary to use a 24″ tube with split tube method or will a 26″ do?

m0rk
    Free Member

a 26″ will be super baggy

Northwind

24 fits really nicely, I wouldn’t want to mess with that tbh- I’ve used a 26er split tube in a thin 26er tyre a long time back and it did work, but it was much more niggly to set up, it wanted to move around and pinch under the tube and that, all the time.

The AV/SV10 (av is schrader, sv is presta) tube is about £4. Actually I have a pair split for presta, I think, which I’m not using, if you’re interested?

psycorp
    Free Member

Thanks NW but I’ve decided I’m going to have another go with the tape.

I did the front first and had a bit of trouble getting the tyre inflated, so it has more tape around the rim edge than the rear.

The fact that the front is stable, other than the joint leaking which I’m hoping a bit more tape on the interior will fix, makes me think that building up the bead seat with more tape on the rear may cure the burping.

If that doesn’t work then I’ll go the split tube route, or bin it all and get some slime tubes.

Northwind

I think the best result I had was foam + tape, it wasn’t as easy as tubes but it was lighter, and it was more permanent than shrinkwrap, I didn’t like having to basically redo the wrap every time I fitted a tyre.

thesurfbus
    Free Member

I tried various foam/gorilla tape methods and each one failed, the split tube worked perfect first time and hasn’t lost any air (6 months), use the cheap 24″ tubes from Decathlon, they have to be cut perfectly as there is no excess.

kayak23

Try rubbing a smear of araldite into your joint to close it. This over silicone as tape should still stick to it.

Cheezpleez

Anyone got a link to the right sort of foam for this? I’ve got one sealed on a split tube but the other isn’t having it.

Northwind

I used jiffy foam but I’m not sure it’s the best option, it compressed over time so I ended up having to add more foam after a while.Maybe a fully closed foam would work better, not sure.

kayak23 – Member

Try rubbing a smear of araldite into your joint to close it

Worst cook ever

psycorp
    Free Member

I used jiffy foam too. Was going to get a cheap sleeping mat but wasn’t sure about the thickness I needed, so I got jiffy foam as it’s thin and I could as as many layers as I needed to get the tyre up.

I’ll try some glue and more tape over the joint.

kayak23

I used this camping mat from Argos and can confirm that I am currently still to all intents and purposes alive.

psycorp
    Free Member

Given up on tubeless with this tyre and wheel combination. I’m trying a tube filled with tubeless sealant instead. Oh the irony.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

I use a yoga mat (thinner than a sleeping mat).

A layer of tape over the holes. A layer of foam that completely fills the rim. A split tube on top of that.

It seals well enough that it goes up with a hand pump without sealant.

Added bonus is that it actually seats the tyre on the rim properly, with a tube it tends to get stuck in the bottom in places which is why it peels off in others.

There’s a lot of on-one bashing, but thats mostly because so many people have them, and therefore have problems. The rims are the same extrusions as plenty of more expensive rims, and the tyres are as tight as any other brand.

Northwind

The comments on the on one rims I assume are confusing their normal rims from the fatty, with these which are totally different. (as far as I know, they only share the extrusion with the Tundra?). The emmenthal is a decent enough budget OE part.

psycorp
    Free Member

No OO bashing on my part. From what I’ve read it’s the tyres that are the main culprit for the loose fit. If Stans in a tube works then I’m happy enough. The rims had so much tape on them that combined with the sealant the whole setup was heavier than tubes anyway.

freddiest

Took all the tape off from my failed attempts and went back to foam and a split tube. Went straight up, no problems. Front one has been up for 6 months without losing air using the same method so it’s split tubes for me from now on.

knottinbotswana
    Free Member

Builder’s expansion/movement joint foam in the rim-recess and a split tube over the top for me.

Sealant in tubes was a failure because the thorns wobble around keeping the hole open and letting the sealant ooze out into the tube-tyre zone.

After 3,000km the tyres are now more like Emmental, a goodly number of plugs too where the holes were too big for slime (or occurred at times of low slime).

Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)

The topic ‘Emmental Tubeless’ is closed to new replies.