Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • emergency help needed
  • SaxonRider

Sorry for my mechanical ignorance, but I haven’t used my hard tail in quite a while, and it has sat on my bedroom floor for around 3 months.

When last I rode it, everything was fine, but now that I am due to take my boys out for an afternoon ride, the rear brake seems to have seized.

Basically, the caliper is holding the disk without anyone actually squeezing the brake.

Avid Juicy 5s if that helps.

Is there a quick fix to this?

cyclistm
    Free Member

take wheel out and push the pads back in, might free the pistons. Use a plastic tyre lever or similar

druidh
    Free Member

Remove wheel. Use a tyre lever to spread the pads apart.

Squeeze brakes slightly to push pads together.

Repeat until moving freely*

*if this doesn’t work, just spread them apart and don’t use the back brake until you can get them properly sorted.

o96192083
    Free Member

*if this doesn’t work, just spread them apart and don’t use the back brake until you can get them properly sorted

troll?

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

o96192083 – Member

*if this doesn’t work, just spread them apart and don’t use the back brake until you can get them properly sorted

troll?

Ok for an afternoon ride with the kids and you will have a back brake in an emergency – its just it might jam on again

grum
    Free Member

When I first got back into biking I went round Dalbeattie with no working back brake. It was fine until the other one failed on a steep downhill bit!

khani
    Free Member

Sounds like the fluid has absorbed some moisture and expanded, a temporary/quick fix is to put the lever bleedport vertical, undo the bleedport (don’t pull the lever) then push the pistons back, close the bleedport and mop up any fluid that comes out, this should work unless somethings broken inside or a seals gone.. it’ll still need bleeding properly asap anyhoo

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘emergency help needed’ is closed to new replies.