Viewing 36 posts - 41 through 76 (of 76 total)
  • E=mc^2?
  • Cougar

Before I do, I don’t suppose you’d clarify?

It’s the corrupted question in Arthur’s brain.

Pff, kids of today.

unklehomered
    Free Member

Actually the base 13 thing is just coincidence, the root cause is the intimely introduction of Telephone Sanitisers into the Gene Pool.

Atomizer

Mr Woppit

H2G2

MrWoppit
    Free Member
    bencooper
    Free Member

It’s funny how the world can be divided between people who’ve read H2G2 and those who haven’t – it’s all the inside jokes.

Like I was discussing democracy with someone recently, and I said something about how the wrong lizard might get in – I just got a blank look.

It’s a bit like The Big Lebowski that way.

MrWoppit
    Free Member

Used to be “those who’ve read Illuminatus and those who haven’t…”

I’m in a clique! I’m in a clique!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/23_enigma

brakes
    Free Member

maths and physics are great tools for people who don’t know what they’re talking about.

unklehomered
    Free Member

Oh god, the Illuminatus. The most effective book in the world for making all your freinds really boring for months and months… I do not miss those days at all.

edd

I like:
    sqrt(i) = sqrt(1/2) + i * sqrt(1/2)

Onzadog
    Free Member

I once told my boss in a pdr that the whole department had seats on the B Ark. Went totally over his head.

endurobadger
    Free Member

if you define c as 1, rather than a random figure, it becomes E=M !

apatr from the fact it isnt, it is actually

E = M + P^2

(or E^2 = M^2C^2 + P^2C^4)

which is why particle colliders work

CountZero

And BTW there are 10 types of people in the world, those who understand binary and those who don’t.

Boom, and, quite possibly, tish!

AdamW
    Free Member

I always find E.psi=H.psi to be something that makes my brain hurt. A lot.

D0NK

Stoner – Member
    this is a personal favourite of mine: e^i?=-1
    https://xkcd.com/179/

being unable to follow the explain xkcd always makes me sad 😥

but nobody makes jokes in base 13.

🙂

thepurist

CZ – thanks… I’m here until DEC 25, or is that OCT 31? You decide!

Stoner
    Free Member
    phiiiiil

There are 10 types of people in the world, those who understand binary, those who don’t and those who understand gray code.

ads678

F111

My head!

All of it! 😕

Cougar

There are 10 types of people in the world, those who understand binary, those who don’t and those who understand gray code.

There are 10 types of people in the world, those who understand binary, those who don’t, and those who understand ternary.

bearnecessities

F111

ads678

😀

aracer
    Free Member

Actually the base 13 thing is just coincidence, the root cause is the intimely introduction of Telephone Sanitisers into the Gene Pool.

That’s the official version. Presumably I’m not the only person to wonder whether the pan dimensional beings had 13 fingers though?

As for ?, sine is a fairly fundamental function, and sin(?/2) = 1. Hence ? = 2 * arcsin(1). Using the infinite series expansion:
    arcsin(x) = x + (1/2)*x^3/3 + (1*3/2*4)*x^5/5 + …
    ? = 2 * (1 + 1/(2*3) + 1*3/(2*4*5) + …)

There’s probably an easier way, but that’s one way to calculate ? from first principles.

DaveRambo

The universe has no real relationship to that equation – it doesn’t rely on it or hang together because of it.

All science is a guess, hypotheses that people come up with with a made up set of rules that we then use to try and predict what will happen.

The fact that the equations seems to predict some stuff we can measure means that we trust our lives to them.

It’s the best guess until a better one comes along.

aracer
    Free Member

Do I exist? Do you exist? That’s where we start going when you question the fundamentals of science. Some of the things discussed in this thread are mathematics, hence really are fundamental – nobody is ever going to prove them wrong, because they don’t rely on measurements. Some is physics, but the current “best guesses” are actually extremely good ones.

Of course it is worth bearing in mind that E = mc^2 actually disproves KE = 1/2 mv^2

gonefishin
    Free Member

Of course it is worth bearing in mind that E = mc^2 actually disproves KE = 1/2 mv^2

that sounds to me like a very bold statement. How exactly does it disprove it?

RealMan
    Free Member

aracer
    Free Member

How exactly does it disprove it?

KE equation is part of Newtonian physics and Einsteinian physics shows that Newtonian physics is just a very good approximation at low speeds.

scuzz
    Free Member

There are 10 types of people in the world, those who understand quantum computing, those who don’t, and those who are a superposition of both 8)

aracer
    Free Member

As for ?, sine is a fairly fundamental function, and sin(?/2) = 1. Hence ? = 2 * arcsin(1). Using the infinite series expansion:
    arcsin(x) = x + (1/2)*x^3/3 + (1*3/2*4)*x^5/5 + …
    ? = 2 * (1 + 1/(2*3) + 1*3/(2*4*5) + …)

Out of curiosity I decided to try calculating it using that formula. It clearly doesn’t get there that quickly – after 200,000 terms I have 3.139070 (currently running to 1 million terms but it’s taking a very long time – I have a total of 500 billion multiplications or divisions to do that, so I guess it’s not surprising!)

ScottChegg
    Free Member

The volume of a pizza of radius ‘z’ and thickness ‘a’ is….

pi z z a

Yeh!

unklehomered
    Free Member

^^^ That guy wins.

EDIT: bugger it!

<<< that guys wins!

/thread

jambalaya
    Free Member

@ScottCheg – love that !

As for E= m c^2 we covered the derivation in the first year at Uni and I’m delighted to report that I have no recollection of it which means something more useful has taken its place or worse these brain cells have died, it was in 1981.

CountZero

It’s threads like this that make me want to take STW, love it, hug it to my chest and call it George… 😀

knottinbotswana
    Free Member

Disappointed at the lack of Big Audio Dynamite in this thread.

muddy_bum
    Free Member

It’s amazing..

Why does E = Mc^2

thepurist

Just for you knottinbotswana

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cHTDkJ-bQqM[/video]

and as a bonus

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CZqUNEHYZgQ[/video]

which is so 80s it hurts.

Viewing 36 posts - 41 through 76 (of 76 total)

The topic ‘E=mc^2?’ is closed to new replies.