Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Elixir brakes arrrrg
  • julioflo
    Free Member

i’ve have bit of prob with my avid elixir 5’s….They have been fine for 1.5 years, but just come to put a new set of pads in and I can not get the friken pistons to sit far enough back to get my new pads in.

Have had pads out and pumped some lubricant at the pistons while i squeezed them out. Have had old pads in and used phat flat bladed screw driver trying to push the pistons back in. But they just will not sit in far enough for the new pads…..pads go in, I can only just get the disc in, but it is tight as and the wheels hardly turn!
    Dear Singletrack forum please help me!

akira

What pads are you fitting, some brands have been noted to be a bit thicker than standard Avid ones.

julioflo
    Free Member

dare I say it…superstar…kevlar ones
    if they are thicker then that will explain it. i’ll get the wheels on and make them wear down a bit I suppose?

mtbfix

If all else fails you could open a bleed screw and force the pistons back expelling some fluid. But then you’ll have to bleed the system.

PaulBecks
    Free Member

I had a similar thing with my CR’s, ended up using one old/new pad in each caliper until the new one wore down a little the replaced the old one.

hh45
    Free Member

Avids do seem to be much easier with Avid pads. When i had this problem I have sadly had to just wear them out with a ‘training’ ride.

julioflo
    Free Member

Funnily enough i’m out for a ‘training ride’ for the Bontrager 24/12 tomorrow night, so it’ll just have to be a little tougher!

mrbump
    Free Member

clarks pads are also thicker. goodridge sintered pads are exellent pads in elixirs. worth the extra money in my opinion.
    cheaper pads have an habit of de-laminating in my experince. this has happen to me with superstar kevlar and clarks sintered.

trailflow
    Free Member

But then you’ll have to bleed the system

i did this and i didnt need to
    as long as your quick and careful.just pump the lever back and forth afterwards

walleater

Same here, done it countless times….

Ming the Merciless
    Free Member

Open bleed screw a tiny amount and squeeze pistons all the way back into the caliper, if you are careful you shouldn’t need to bleed them afterwards.

I wish I’d known this before I had a full scale “mantrum” in a quiet village carpark in Dartmoor.

dazz69
    Free Member

I found clarks pads vary in size. I bought 2 sets I couldn’t get the first set in and the second set fitted perfectly. Originals always fit first time. The price of going cheap

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Elixir brakes arrrrg’ is closed to new replies.