• This topic has 47 replies, 32 voices, and was last updated 8 years ago by kcr.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 48 total)
  • Eliptigo's on club runs
  • oldgit
    Free Member

I’m not that happy to have them along side me.
    And I admit the aesthetics of them upset me as well.

Are they cycles?

Should I shut up or suggest a running club?

radtothepowerofsik
    Free Member

Drop bars and clippy pedals are required for our club. I don’t think they have either do they?

oldgit
    Free Member

No…no they don’t.

windydave13
    Free Member

How do they even keep up?

mikewsmith
    Free Member

I always think the solution to these things is to go for a ride by yourself….

Edric64
    Free Member

Some guys did PBP on them.

IanMunro
    Free Member

I own this, so am keeping out of the conversation 😀

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Went on a club run one night, the club president/snob/general cockwad appeared on a recumbent (he’s a proper needy centre of attention type) without a helmet.

He was a total danger descending in the group, all over the place. If someone else had turned up on it, no doubt he’d have commented on the no helmet no ride rule.

I realise this has bugger all to do with the OP, just felt like a moan!.

LeeW

I seem to remember you posting something like this a few years ago, someone new or the same person as before?

Gotama
    Free Member

^^ Ian, that looks interesting. There’s no info on their website, how much was it if you don’t mind me asking?

if they’re not dangerous then why not? I’m not sure any cyclist is allowed to make judgement on the aesthetic aspect given we wear some pretty shocking outfits, be it road or mtb.

chakaping
    Free Member

Let them come along but spend the whole ride badgering them over why they don’t just ride a bike?

There’s a fella who posts about he and his pals’ rides in the local roadie FB group. I don’t usually judge peoples’ bikes but my god they look lame.

chakaping
    Free Member

Oldgit’s four-year crusade against the scourge of the Eliptigo!

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

He really should’ve got Saxonrider to post it up!

IanMunro
    Free Member

^^ Ian, that looks interesting. There’s no info on their website, how much was it if you don’t mind me asking?

I bought it second hand. They are just about to start shipping the next batch, so I think prices have only been sent to people on their waiting list.
    I think the prices are currently 1690 euros (inclusive of all taxes). Or 1925 US dollars (exclusive of duty, tax etc) if you want to important from the US.

bikebouy
    Free Member

I had to google what an eliptigo was.

Looks fine if you are on your own, riding alone, in the dark, no lights, dressed in black, whilst wearing a balaclava, no GPS or Tracking device on, whilst not letting any offspring/family/parents/dog/cat/great aunt flo know where or what you are intending to do, the yes go ahead ride the darn thing.

In daylight where other normal human beings can see you?

Absolutely Not.

😮

IanMunro
    Free Member

Oh, and yeah and it is more dangerous than a normal bike, well when I’m riding it.
    One of the things that isn’t immediately obvious until you think about it, is taking a hand off the bars on the thing, is much like taking a hand of the bars on a bike whilst riding out the saddle – something that requires a bit of practice.
    Good fun though, I can piss off runners and cyclists in equal measure on it 🙂

wilburt
    Free Member

he’s a proper needy centre of attention type

Recumbent target customers.

sweepy
    Free Member

Elliptigo aside, out of interest why are drop bars and clips required on a club run?

fourbanger
    Free Member

Much like wearing a helmet, it lets recreational cyclists know that you are a “serious” cyclist.

taxi25
    Free Member

The drop bar thing is a safety issue, flat bars are more likely to hook drops when your riding in a group. Or at least that’s the belief. Not sure about the clipless pedal rule, not come accross that.

wilburt
    Free Member

..and its safer for all.

dragon
    Free Member

How do they even keep up?

+1

OP your problem is the club run is clearly to slow and short. Drop the f**kers 😀

epicyclo

IanMunro – Member
    I own this, so am keeping out of the conversation

I’d love a go on one of those to compare it to my Alenax (now gone).

I suspect the standing position may be a better way to treadle than seated.

sweepy
    Free Member

I’ve never been on a club run so I’ll take you at your word, but intuitively I’d think the easiest way to get hooked up is to have a large hook shape on the end of the bar.

legend
    Free Member

taxi25 – Member

The drop bar thing is a safety issue, flat bars are more likely to hook drops when your riding in a group. Or at least that’s the belief. Not sure about the clipless pedal rule, not come accross that.

clipless only is probably more “no clips and straps” than “no flats pedals”. That’s the only way it makes sense to me anyway

cyclingweakly
    Free Member

intuitively I’d think the easiest way to get hooked up is to have a large hook shape on the end of the bar.

You’ve not really given it a lot of thought then! Flat bars in a group of riders with drop bars are lethal…

We have someone turn up to the local club 10s on one. It was a bit of a novelty at first, shouting how he’d save 10 watts with a disc etc as you overtake him. But now I do wonder what the point is.

As for on a club run, I can’t see anyone keeping up with an average run on an Eliptigo. If one turned up when I’m guiding our “No Drop B Group”, I’d tell him we wouldn’t be waiting for him!

Northwind

sweepy – Member

Elliptigo aside, out of interest why are drop bars and clips required on a club run?

Nothing spoils a road ride like having some dude turn up on a ridgeback hybrid in baggies and keep up.

njee20
    Free Member

clipless only is probably more “no clips and straps” than “no flats pedals”. That’s the only way it makes sense to me anyway

Why no clips and straps? I vaguely get needing drops. Vaguely. I’ve done group road rides on my MTB with no issues. But WGAS what pedals are being used? Do you also specify tyres to be 25c with no siping?! Saddle angles to be +\- 5 degrees?

ghostlymachine
    Free Member

Some people think clips and straps are dangerous.
    Much like some people think clipless are dangerous.

Some people need to get a grip.

dragon
    Free Member

Surely it isn’t against clip and straps as until ~1990 everyone would have run them, but it is against flats with the under tone being we want to discourage leisure cyclists turning up.

Flat bars on a club run isn’t ideal, and they’d be told to stay at the back and not come through, but I wouldn’t ban them, just encourage the person to get a more suitable bike.

highlandman
    Free Member

I’ve done lots of fast sportives on a flat barred ‘road’ bike (rigid steel 29er) without issues or comments received; why should a club run be any different? I’ll be doing the Tour of the Highlands on a flat barred Croix de Fer next month and I’m sure I’ll survive.

As for the Eliptigo, did anyone see Tim Downie on one at the 3Pistes
    last year, shown by the Beeb’s Adventure Show? Wow, that man knows how to suffer… We passed him on the tandem and I must say I respect his capacity for pain.

dragon
    Free Member

why should a club run be any different?

Because historically and still to a large extent clubs were setup up by and for ‘racing’ cyclists and club runs were training sessions, so you train using equipment similar to that which you race on. If you’re in a football team and turn up to a practice on a grass pitch in trainers, then they’ll tell you to go home and get your boots, no different with cycling.

JoB
    Free Member

highlandman – Member
    I’ve done lots of fast sportives on a flat barred ‘road’ bike (rigid steel 29er) without issues or comments received; why should a club run be any different?

clubs runs tend to be a group of cyclists in tight formation moving at speed whereas sportives tend to be dribs and drabs of free-spirited pedallers meandering all over the road?

lightman
    Free Member

Flat bars in a group of riders with drop bars are lethal…

Haha, what a pile of shit!

Maybe if the person using flat bars and everyone around them cant ride a bike!

I have been using my mtb & now a fat bike (with TT bars) in chaingangs for over 10 years, and never once has there been any danger from me, plenty from others who cant ride properly though.
    My bars are 620 wide max.

I think Northwind summed it up nicely –

Northwind

Nothing spoils a road ride like having some dude turn up on a ridgeback hybrid in baggies and keep up.

jamj1974

Several reasons on this thread relate to why I wouldn’t join a cycling (Or pretty much any) club.

rOcKeTdOg

It was a bit of a novelty at first, shouting how he’d save 10 watts with a disc etc

Well that sucks out all the fun of riding a bicycle

Kuco

I saw someone last summer on one of those elliptigo a few times, he wasn’t exactly hanging around on it. He seemed to be enjoying himself on it but it’s not for me.

oldgit
    Free Member

They don’t hang about those Eliptigo’s.

I just hate them in cycle rides to be honest.
    This is a new guy, another injured runner who’s spaffed nearly 3k on one of these and rocks up to a cycling club.
    It’s not a bicycle, he’s a runner so join a running club. Except the running club won’t allow their member to use one on club runs.

The guys about 6’4″ it’s like riding next to something from Avatar! and it’s/he is a liability on it when riding through and off.

Am I just a bad person? I told some other new member not to ride on his tri bars when in the group.

wilburt
    Free Member

A fat bike with tri bars in a road chaingang, hahahaha what a plum but oh so macho 😉

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 48 total)

The topic ‘Eliptigo's on club runs’ is closed to new replies.