Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Electrolyte sachets
  • gnusmas

Has anyone seen any decent deals on electrolyte sachets on their travels? I need to get some for Mrs G who has suffered with pneumonia since the end of November and has struggled to eat or anything in the past 2 weeks.

I say sachets but anything really.

Thanks

submarined
    Free Member

Hi 5 electrolyte tablets are pretty much on permanent sale at Wiggle 🙂

wwaswas

Sis are doing two 500g tubs of SIS GO electrolyte for £15 at the moment.

Various gels and bundles on sale too

https://www.scienceinsport.com/uk/special-offers

retro83
    Free Member

Lo Salt from sainsburys.

It’s potassium and sodium chloride. Something like £1.20 for a tube of it.

1 ltr water, quarter to half teaspoon of lo salt, squeeze of lemon juice or squash to taste.
    Sip over an hour or so.

gnusmas

Thanks for the suggestions.

No sainsburys near me so can’t do that unfortunately, good idea and cheaper too.

Will have a look later and have to get some ordered.

molgrips
    Free Member

Try bulkpowders.co.uk, electrolyte powder is £3.49 for 100g. Sodium, Potassium, Magnesium and Calcium.

nealglover
    Free Member

No sainsburys near me so can’t do that

Asda sell it too.

scaredypants

something like complan ?

bit more to it than just electrolytes

tjagain

Its not really electrolytes she needs unless she has been throwing up. You need stuff like fortisip or ensure. comes in milkshake or juice form. contains calories and nutrients in an easy to consume drink. some of them 600ml a day will provide virtually complete nutrition. the practise nurse at your GPs surgery should be able to advise and possibly even get them on prescription

gnusmas

Thanks for the replies.

She has been throwing up pretty consistently for the past 2 weeks, more so in the last 3 days. Had the doctor out Tuesday and she was given 2 different antibiotics. But she can’t keep them down so not working yet.

Will try the electrolytes first and then look at complan or your suggestions TJ. Time for some research on them.

Thanks again all

antigee

Dioralyte from any pharmacy youngest antigee can have problems with dehydration and keeping regular meds down when vomiting hospital have suggested flat coke as apparently has right mix of salts and stays down
    If continues may need to push to to admit for intravenous and drip
    Not a doctor

tjagain

Flat coke is suprisingly good. dioralyte or rehydrat are good electrolyte sources

globalti
    Free Member

Why does she need electrolytes? Has she had chronic diarrhoea?

There are stacks of convalescent drinks available, Complan is the best known. We used to neck Complan milk shakes on the overnight camp in Polaris events, before the sports industry got wise to energy drinks and all that crap and succeeded in persuading us to pay far more than necessary.

There’s also Ensure Plus drinks, which you can get on prescription.

Or go on Myprotein and buy the maltodextrin and the whey powder and make your own for a fraction of the cost.

molgrips
    Free Member

Diaoralyte is just electrolytes and maltodextrin IIRC from reading the label. Same as sports drink.

globalti
    Free Member

I think Diaoralyte is just sugar and salt whereas sports drinks also contain fructose. Whatever, I wish I’d known about the stuff when I got the worst ever food poisoning in Pakistan after eating re-frozen ice cream. I’ve never seen so much liquid come out of my body at both ends simultaneously. By the morning I must have been badly dehydrated. Amazingly I drank a cup of sugary tea, felt better and went out to work for the day in the sweltering heat!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Electrolyte sachets’ is closed to new replies.