Viewing 23 posts - 41 through 63 (of 63 total)
  • Electro Synth Pop-Tastic thread… Help/Advice needed!
  • chakaping
    Free Member

Damn, curtisthecat beat me to suggesting Suicide.

Check out the first album if you haven’t already heard it. Their influence straddles rock (eg. Spacemen 3 etc) and techno (Weatherall is a huge fan). Probably the most uncompromising band I have ever seen live.

Juan Atkins is a good choice also, some of his tracks were a real watershed in electronic music.

I agree Kraftwerk is too obvious.

Neu! Would probably be my choice though. So influential, first on pop in the ’70s and ’80s and later on guitar bands.

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EAXYMOgHQI4&feature=related[/video]

Picto
    Free Member

DAF seemed to big for a while on the club scene. Was always partial to a bit of Fad Gadget too.

With the Sheefield link Caberet Voltaire were pretty interesting too. nag, nag nag was a bit of a favourite.

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=olU40fxAXZs&skipcontrinter=1[/video]

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zP2TJpNcjPM[/video]

mboy
    Free Member

It would also be interesting to look at the effect (good and bad; bad mostly) MIDI has had on popular music.

VERY good shout… Had completely missed that one for some reason. Quite frankly where we’d all be without MIDI is anyone’s guess (though I suspect something would have been invented to do the same job), but what an invention that was…

BTW, what kind of degree lets you listening to house music all day?!

It doesn’t, but I am studying for an HND (though will probably do a final year to turn it into a BA) in Electronic Music. And I bloody love it! The module I’m currently doing that requires me to write this case study is quite simply called “History of Electronic Music”. Other modules I’ve done so far this year have been more hands on, practical modules, though really loving the whole mix of practical and theory in the context of the subject.

What about jeff mills or mike banks (underground resistance). Banks is a really influential and interesting character.

Whilst fairly influential in their respective genres, probably not influential enough given the context of the learning outcomes.

To my eyes goldie seems out of place on your list. I’d like to see the bob moog one.

Goldie is a loooooooong way from being out of place on the list. Nobody would argue that D&B isn’t a sizable chunk of the moden Electronic Music Industry, and he is/was the Godfather of the genre. And his Timeless Album was the breaking point, before that D&B was just “jungle” that was played by a few mash-heads at sweaty raves and was no more inventive than the age old Amen Break with a couple of samples laid over the top. Then in 1995 Goldie blew everything and everyone apart with his Timeless Album. If one man could be more influential within one genre of music, I can’t think of him right now.

Going a bit leftfield how about the SID-soundchip from the commodore 64? Its quietly become quite common across a whole range of electronic artists to either use a sidstation or direct sample/sid-style sounds. You could widen it out to accommodate the rise of chip-tune and other subgenres using outdated gaming hardware. Very ‘on trend’ !

Too recent to be honest. Whilst Chiptune was a big thing about 6 or 7 years ago (and to a lesser extent, still is, though it’s easier to replicate now with plugins for a DAW), it’s not really a big influence at all. People have been using retro equipment for donkeys years in all sorts of fields to achieve authentic older sounds, chiptune is just one of the more recent evolutions of that to be honest. I’d be better off looking at the MiniMoog, or Yamaha DX7, looking at how popular they were and again how popular they are now.

Juan Atkins and/or the Belleville Three

Possibly good call, certainly influential enough…

Fairlight CMI? Mellotron?

Fairlight, yes possibly, Mellotron I don’t know. But both are of little influence (even though they predeceded it some time) compared to the AKAI MPC… And I don’t want to do the MPC, someone else is already writing about it.

Could you go a little abstract and focus on something like pirate radio in London and its influence on modern electronic music, Garage, DnD, Grime and recently the part it played in leading the emergence of Dubstep which has subsequently become very popular and its styles that can be heard in everything now.

Could possibly get away with it if I went back to the 80’s and 90’s, but anything newer would be classed as too new to know how influential it yet is. Not keen to be honest though…

the roland 303, 808 & 909

Too cliched for me, and again, another one of my classmates is already writing about them.

Your essay is far more interesting than the ones I had to write for my Chemistry degree.
    The influence of Chemistry on Electronic music could have been an interesting essay.

All I can say is it rocks! 8)

How ‘distant’ past do you need? IME, aphex twin did some crazy things with synths in terms of rewiring/twiddling about with them to make sounds that you couldn’t otherwise achieve.

Aphex Twin could be a good shout, he’s been going long enough, and he is pretty influential.

Whereas Vince Clarke (don’t laugh!) was a master of just making fabulous arrangements of more readily available synth sounds that he could play on stage ‘live’ but that were both complex and hard for other people to reproduce (at the time!), but very pleasing to the ‘pop’ ear.

He was one man (albeit good at what he did), in a whole musical movement full of similar men. Not even close to being influential I don’t think in the context. Not compared to Gary Numan, Giorgio Moroder and perhaps a couple of others anyway.

The transition of Joy Division to New Order.

Don’t think that Joy Division/New Order on their own would be a good enough shout, but as I was also considering talking about the Hacienda, certainly Tony Wilson would be a good shout as he was massively influential in terms of the Manchester (and therefore the whole of the UK) music scene from the late 70’s until the late 90’s and even beyond.

Cheers everyone for all your help so far, really can’t explain just how much you’ve helped me out, and I wasn’t expecting anything like the level of responses. I hope I’ve not come across as ungrateful to anyone if I’ve not agreed with you in any way, far from it, just that I’ve got certain criteria to fit and I know reasonably well what will and what won’t fit those criteria.

colournoise

mboy – Member
    though it’s easier to replicate now with plugins for a DAW

What about the rise of the DAW itself as a theme?

Might be too recent, but over the last 10 years or so I’d say the PC-based (home) studio has had a MASSIVE effect on electronic music. Might be hard to quantify though I guess? Never fails to interest me that the kind of leftfield, noisy, abstract stuff we were doing on KVR and EM411 8-10 years ago is now turning up as part of mainstream electronica on Radio 1 and the like.

slainte ❓ rob

tazzymtb

Isao Tomita

mboy
    Free Member

What about the rise of the DAW itself as a theme?

Is perhaps the one thing from the last 10-15 years I could cover effectively I reckon… Though it would be quite a geeky subject.

AnalogueAndy
    Free Member

Great thread 🙂

I wish I had similar assignments rather than management consultant bollocks to write about.

I nearly ended up with Vince’s old Fairlight – would have been an expensive coffee table!

Some great suggestions above that I can’t really think to add to.

I have various contacts relating to the above dependant upon which way you decide to go.

I’d be really interested to hear a precis of what you finally choice to cover 🙂

mboy
    Free Member

Pretty much decided after all that I’m going to write about the MiniMoog.

Just writing a Research proposal at the moment… Anybody got any key information they that I should know (that I might not have already found), or any pointers to any? Would be really useful…

bobbyg81
    Free Member

Ive just read this thread for the first time. Interesting stuff.

Only thing I can add at this stage is that the first minimoogs were a nightmare to keep in tune. Tuning would drift mid performance as streetlights were switched on etc,as this caused the voltage/current to fluctuate.

Wolfgang Flur said it so it must be true! 🙂

prettygreenparrot

Vince Clarke+1 Thomas Dolby? Leon Theremin?

The idea that Gary Numan has been more influential on electronic music than Vince Clarke 😆

bobbyg81
    Free Member

Just checked out what I wrote was 100%. It’s not. When playing in Paris Kraftwerks tempos were all out. At 8pm all the big factories plugged into the network which made the voltage fluctuate.

bigjim

Never fails to interest me that the kind of leftfield, noisy, abstract stuff we were doing on KVR

we were ahead of our time 😛

I would think the bob moog story would be very interesting, though it sounds like you have to focus on just one product by the sounds of it? I met him a couple of years before he died, he was a nice old man, bit dithery and eccentric, but captivating. The moog story is quite interesting, sad at times but interesting.

bigjim

Or the VST/Steinberg story might be a good one, bringing electronic music into everyone’s home computers.

bobbyg81
    Free Member

On the VST front you can look into Arturias Minimoog VST. I use it and within a mix you couldn’t tell the difference.

bigjim

On the VST front you can look into Arturias Minimoog VST. I use it and within a mix you couldn’t tell the difference.

don’t start on that!

bobbyg81
    Free Member

That didn’t take long!! 🙂

TheFopster
    Free Member

Sheffield: Human League. Heaven 17. ABC.

And supposedly it all started with a Kraftwerk gig at the Uni in 1976. Sheffield’s version of the Sex Pistols at Manchester Free Trade Hall.

teasel
    Free Member

Anyone mention Tangerine Dream? That go back a fair old way so probably influenced quite a few artist that followed.

Edit : Probably not considered pop, though…

mboy
    Free Member

don’t start on that!

lol @ bigjim… I take it you’ve played around on the originals then, cos anybody younger than about 50 wouldn’t claim to be able to tell the difference between a decent VST and the original hardware these days. Thank heavens for decent software!

I would think the bob moog story would be very interesting, though it sounds like you have to focus on just one product by the sounds of it? I met him a couple of years before he died, he was a nice old man, bit dithery and eccentric, but captivating. The moog story is quite interesting, sad at times but interesting.

I would like to have done the whole thing on him, but it’s WAY too big a topic. Christ I’ve got a 3000 word cap on this, I could probably write 3000 words on Bob Moog before he even invented the Moog Modular or the Minimoog! So I decided to pick the thing he was most famous and influential for… Incidentally I watched the documentary he did shortly before he died on Youtube the other day, really interesting story. What struck me is that he was so ridiculously nice and down to earth, not at all big headed despite obviously being quite a wealthy and influential man. He seemed to be as much in awe of some of the musicians who played his instruments as they were in awe of him for creating it!

Now… Any good books to read up on the Minimoog?

mboy
    Free Member

The idea that Gary Numan has been more influential on electronic music than Vince Clarke

Personally I think he has, maybe not directly in the field of “pop” music, but overall he probably has. With the likes of Nine Inch Nails, The Foo Fighters, through to Basement Jaxx and Armand Van Helden (and tonnes in between) all citing him as a massive influence.

I think Vince Clarke has done a lot don’t get me wrong, but I’d say his influence has been more mainstream… Which is great, but doesn’t float my boat quite so much.

bigjim

I take it you’ve played around on the originals then, cos anybody younger than about 50 wouldn’t claim to be able to tell the difference between a decent VST and the original hardware these days. Thank heavens for decent software!

Nah I’ve not but it must be the most common ,repetitive and boring VST argument topic, analogue hardware vs VA emulation! The Arturia one if memory serves me right seems to be one that splits people the most too. I have Minimonsta but have no interest in things sounding like the original.

I’ve not seen the Moog documentary, will look out for it, I saw him in 2004 doing a talk with Jean Jacques Perrey which was quite entertaining.

Phil Niblock is another random person who might be worth looking at. I think he uses quite interesting techniques and his live show is pretty powerful if you ever get a chance to see it.

AnalogueAndy
    Free Member

Minimoog, good choice 🙂

Now… Any good books to read up on the Minimoog?

AnalogueAndy
    Free Member

And googling reveals this which looks like a good place to start:

http://www.till.com/articles/moog/

Viewing 23 posts - 41 through 63 (of 63 total)

The topic ‘Electro Synth Pop-Tastic thread… Help/Advice needed!’ is closed to new replies.