Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Electrify my commute!
  • thebatesbristol
    Free Member

Looking at an e-bike for the commute, in fact have already test ridden two. the trouble seems to be that I hit 17mph more of the time so the power assisted bike very quickly turns into a heavy bike.

I understand that they can be modified but the guy in the shop didn’t really want to go there (compliance I assume so no problem).

What are the pros and cons of modding one, getting it to 20 mph would be a game changer. I assume that it voids the warranty so it could be best just to buy second hand and then mod?

– Where would you get a second hand one?
    – Any recommends on e-bikes. I rode a Rayleigh Strata, felt good but at £2.5K a bit more than I wanted to spend.
    – Also rode a Benilli. at £1.6K the price point felt good but the power assist was in the rear hub and was no ways as good as the Strata.

But, that kind of style would be great…

pigyn
    Free Member

Orbea have a new bike called the Gain coming out in a few weeks, I think it could be quite popular as a boosted commuter.

NewRetroTom

I would be pretty dubious about modding an e-bike that you were going to use on the road. If you were involved in an accident where someone got hurt/killed, even if it was nothing to do with the speed you were going at, you could potentially be prosecuted for having an unlicensed, uninsured motorbike.
    No way I would be willing to take that kind of risk.
    I have also thought about whether an e-bike would be handy if my commute was a wee bit further, but like you the 17mph thing means it would be next to useless.
    Don’t know if e-mopeds (licensed but still pedalable) are a thing. Would be awesome if you could get one that would give you assistance all the way up to, say, 30mph.

RoterStern
    Free Member

What about a Specialized Turbo? Pretty sure you they go up to 30mph. I think you need to register it like a moped though AFAIK.

thomthumb
    Free Member

I would be pretty dubious about modding an e-bike that you were going to use on the road.

I’d be pretty dubious if you want to use it on off road cyclepaths. my route to work is kept safe by the absence of powered vehicles (pedelecs aside) modding a pedelec into a motorised vehicle means you would be riding a motorbike down a pedestrian path. and could be charged as such

bobgarrod
    Free Member

If you go the bosch route i’d recommend going for the performance line cx -much better torque than the ordinary performance line.

mtbfix

Give consideration to sticking to 15mph and arriving at work not a sweaty mess?

irc

Would be awesome if you could get one that would give you assistance all the way up to, say, 30mph.

In the USA there are road legal E-bikes with 350W boost and no cutout to 28mph. I was passing through Santa Cruz last week and Trek were doing E-bike demo rides. I tried a hybrid style with same 250W boost EU bikes have but a 20mph cut out. Absolutely great. Doing 19mph up a gentle slope into a strong breeze. If the law was ever changed I’d seriously think about buying one. But 15mph? Hardly worth it.

The USA have different classes with faster versions not legal on off road bike paths/shared paths. Which would be the way to go. Anything faster than our current 15mph would be too fast for canal towpaths shared paths etc and would need to be road only. IMO.

Only EU law stopping them being marketed here.

damascus
    Free Member

As above it’s risky if you were involved in a crash. Especially when the prosecution will now use your Internet history against you.

I’ve seen a few with a switch installed for on road legal 15mph and off road open mode.

RustyNissanPrairie

I’ve looked into this myself recently as I gave up our 2nd car last year. My commute is a hilly 8miles.

A normal 250w ebike is easy enough to derestrict with one of the ‘black box/dongle’ things – it halves the pulse count from the speed sensor. Cube seem the best VFM and come with Bosch CX.

I also looked at Bafang 8fun 750w mid kits for around £850-900 which get generally good reviews.

The legal aspect has put me off. I’ve had very unpleasant and massively costly dealings with insurance companies when I’ve been legal above board (commercial property), I shudder to think the repercussions of being in an accident with an illegal ebike.

I would however be more than happy to register one as a moped and quite happily tax and insure it but I don’t think the framework exists (yet) to do this?

Goldigger
    Free Member

Only EU law stopping them being marketed here

That will change with brexit

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-39439554

For the worse…

martymac

I have a switchable one on my bosch equipped cube.
    No speed limit when its turned on, it definitely works but tbh doesn’t really improve the bike, it has quite an effect on battery life, and as noted above isn’t legal for road or cycle path/bridleway use.
    Honestly, I wouldn’t bother again.

irc

The legal aspect has put me off. I’ve had very unpleasant and massively costly dealings with insurance companies when I’ve been legal above board (commercial property), I shudder to think the repercussions of being in an accident with an illegal ebike.

I wouldn’t consider an illegal one either but if it is public policy to reduce car use in cities making E-bikes more attractive is a nudge in that direction. Meantime I’ll use my car for many journeys where an E-bike would fit.

njee20
    Free Member

Not even sure it is EU law is it? Germany has uber e-bikes, like the 45kph S-Works Turbo. .

Nonsense
    Free Member

No idea why people think it’s EU law? There are derestricted e-bikes in Europe but they are treated as a motor vehicle. It’s the road traffic act in the UK that defines legal categories of motor vehicles and what constitutes a mechanically propelled vehicle. A friend has a de-restricted e-bike which is taxed and has a registration plate in Belgium and is considered a moped under their domestic law.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Electrify my commute!’ is closed to new replies.