Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Electricity/flooding/danger question.
  • thegreatape
    Free Member

At the weekend we had a flood in our house while we were away. The downstairs hall is a bit buggered, including a wet carpet. As much water as possible has been sucked up, heating is on 24hrs and there's a dehumidifier going, but the carpet is still a bit damp.

Anyway, I've had a sparky in who has checked all relevant light switches and sockets, and replaced a couple, and said everything is now fine. But my computer has got an aluminium keyboard, and every time I touch it I get tingly fingers (like when you lick a 9v battery). If I lift my feet off the floor or put shoes on it doesn't happen.

Is this just static electricity and, because of the damp carpet, I'm earthing it? Or is it something much more exciting and dangerous that that?

dmiller
    Free Member

Is this just static electricity and, because of the damp carpet, I'm earthing it

Sounds like it – PC keyboard if its USB can never have more than 5volts anyway.

Also some types of brushed aluminum feel like a shock if you fingers move on them in the right way… That caused all kinds of fun at work for me 😉

Jamie
    Free Member

I occasionally get that off my ally macbook pro so i would not be too concerned*

*please note if it all goes tits up then i retract the above statement 😉

thegreatape
    Free Member

Thanks.

Jamie I have forwarded your comments and email address to my insurance company.

Jamie
    Free Member

Jamie I have forwarded your comments and email address to my insurance company.

No problem. If they need to contact me my address is:

123 Fake Street
    Letsby Avenue
    Opposite the shops
    STW 111

jon1973
    Free Member

I occasionally get that off my ally macbook pro so i would not be too concerned

I never get that with my Windows laptop 😆

(runs for cover)

Jamie
    Free Member

That is because it is made from lolly sticks 😉

project
    Free Member

Aluminium keyboard,so unbreakable,standard issue in mental health establishments,and its a full moon as well.

Say no more.

thegreatape
    Free Member

Problem solved.

A man has just been and taken the carpet away.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Electricity/flooding/danger question.’ is closed to new replies.