Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Electricians
  • london_lad_liam
    Free Member

Hello

i have an issue…well not an issue woth anything broken more with where somthing is and can it be moved?

as i come in my front door i am greeted with the wonderous electric board.

i could box it in but would loose space/look like somthing has been boxed in, so i would rather get it moved.

fortunate for me i have a basement (this is were senoir fuse board lives)

i would like to drop this board straight down into the basement.
    (pull up the floor boards)

below is a picture of my basement which also appears to show the cable that runs in and up.

is this possible to do?

If so what sort of price?

many thanks

LLL

rwamartin
    Free Member

Speak to your DNO (Distribution Network Operator) which I believe is UK Power Networks. They are responsible for that big black incoming cable and the “head” – the big main fuses (interestingly a 3 phase head in a domestic property). Ask them for a quote to move it downstairs.
    They may also move the meter but this might need to be done by your electricity supplier – the people you pay your electricity bill to.
    You may need an electrician to then reconnect the meter tails (the cables from the meter to the consumer unit). This is the only bit the electrician can legally do.

UK Power Networks will give you a price and must do the work. IT IS NOT A DIY JOB! Any electrician prepared to move it for you is a cowboy and should be shown the door.

Rich.

london_lad_liam
    Free Member

mmmm……3 phase milling machine in my man cave.

Great info Rich cheers!Give me more of a place to start.

timba
    Free Member

Was that space originally a cloakroom/storage? Is it worth reinstating that, just a big boxing-in job? 🙂

wrightyson
    Free Member

Lube up if you approach the relevant people to move it 😉

jontykint
    Free Member

If an electrician want to move it that doesn’t mean he’s a cowboy.
    That set up couldn’t be easier to move down.
    They shouldn’t do it, but when did that ever stop anybody.

It’ll be probably 1/10th the price of going down the official route.

jontykint
    Free Member

Then, after your friendly electrician has done it, call up the power company and get them to come and tidy up the loosely hanging supply cable, what if something falls on it and rips out the connection? What if my pet monkey liked to swing on it? Etc etc

footflaps

Looks like you could probably move the whole board down without disconnecting supply side.

You would need to cut a rather large hole in the floor though.

Amazed the supply cable is just left hanging like that….

mikedabear
    Free Member

Easy job.
    Disconnect the meter tails.
    Cut a relevant size hole in the floor
    Unscrew the back board from the wall and drop it through the hole
    Screw the back board on to the wall in new location
    Shorten and reconnect the meter tails
    Repair floor
    Job done.

skids
    Free Member

move it outside

london_lad_liam
    Free Member

timba – Member
    Was that space originally a cloakroom/storage? Is it worth reinstating that, just a big boxing-in job?

Had a ghastly radiator cover on it. i am thinking if and when the board is moved its good coat hanging/shoe area.

wrightyson – Member
    Lube up if you approach the relevant people to move it

I heard the strawberry stuff is good?

quote]footflaps – Member
    Looks like you could probably move the whole board down without disconnecting supply side.

You would need to cut a rather large hole in the floor though.

Amazed the supply cable is just left hanging like that….

This was exactly. Not so bother about hole in the floor (its floor boards) got going to refloor and tile eventually. This my rational that it shouldnt be a massive UKPN job to just move it down…i was also amazed at how the cable hangs but this may help in making it easier.

skids – Member
    move it outside

Though about this.In my mind (theoretically) this would end up costing more as digging would need to be don and a box installed.

– – –

I have emailed UKPN going to send them the same images see what they say.

it will probably make me wince.

see how it goes

Liam

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

Have you got a SMART meter, do you need the Ampage of your supplu updating for something like an eletric car?

All reasons that make it more possible for it to be moved without it costing you a fortune.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Electricians’ is closed to new replies.