Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Electric shavers – are they a bit rubbish?
  • wynne
    Free Member

Or is mine duff? Recently acquired a fancy Philips thing and having given it a go it just doesn’t seem to actually shave me. Gone back to the wet razor.

scotroutes

I’ve been using Bosch electric shavers for 30+ years. I think I’m on my third now. I think they’re just fine. Are you stretching your skin while using it? That can make a bit of a difference to how close it cuts.

chipster

My Philips that I’ve had since May is working for me.
    I still have a cutthroat shave at the barber’s, every now and then. That’s a bit closer. 8)

Daffy

As above, been using the same Philishave for almost 20 years. Smooth as a baby’s backside when used correctly. Have you got it set right?

benjamins11
    Free Member

I think it depends how Beardy you are. I have heavy stubble and have always found them useless. Dunno if they have improved recently.

mechanicaldope

I have fairly dense stubble and have never found one which works for me. They always leave patches that aren’t cut properly. Not sure if it is partly because I only shave every few days (lazy or trendy – you decide!), cos I have a funny shape face or if it’s because the shavers are crap. Either way, I have given up on them now.

dantsw13

They don’t like long stubble, so use clippers, then shave. Or grow a lazy beard like me!

Skankin_giant
    Free Member

I’ve recently took one up to make shaving easier while I’m in cast and when I don’t need such a good shave like nights etc.
    Found it doesn’t cut anywhere as close as a good wet shave but good enough for nights and weekends in work…

Cheers, Steve

uponthedowns
    Free Member

I’ve had a Philishave for the last 5 years or so. Its been OK but it does need new blades every year to keep cutting properly and I agree they’re not good on heavy stubble. Now I have a circular beard I’ve found its hopeless at cutting up to a beard. I’ll shortly be moving to a Braun.

cheekyboy
    Free Member

Yes they are shit

stumpy01

Depends on your particular beard/stubble I think.

I tried a really expensive Philips shaver quite a few years ago and never got on with it.

My Dad’s got a Braun and it’s fine for him. Admittedly, the few times I borrowed his shaver it seemed better than the Philishave…

I persevered for a while with it trying shaving oil and all sorts but it made me red raw….I think the main problem was it struggled to cut the hairs on my neck so to get a clean shave I’d have to go over and over the same area….
    My stubble tends to sit quite flat against my skin, which is probably why it was hard to cut…

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Electric shavers – are they a bit rubbish?’ is closed to new replies.