Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • Electric shavers!!
  • smiththemainman
    Free Member

Hi,never used one since leaving home in `94 , where I occasionally used my dads when I was in a rush, since then wet shaved pretty much every morning for 30+ years, and getting fed up with it, not a beard fan so will not be just stopping shaving.
    Have the electric shavers moved on much? as my birthday is in a few weeks and may ask for one if i`m convinced I will get a shave equal to my flash over with the razor everyday?

everyone
    Free Member

They’re never going to be as good as a proper razor. /thread

globalti
    Free Member

On the odd occasions when I wet shave I always find afterwards that I’ve missed a few tufts. Maybe that’s just lack of practice but wet shaving is especially tricky around the angle of the jawbone, for example.

I have just bought a new Braun rechargeable shaver after years with an ageing Braun and yes, they are definitely better; quieter, smoother, better foil, run for longer on one charge.

onandon
    Free Member

I’ve been using a Philips 3d for ten years. I now no longer suffer with razor burn and a red neck.
    I experimented with loads of shaving gear, different blades etc but the Philips just does 97% as good a job but without all the fuss and faff.

jools182
    Free Member

Every one I’ve tried makes my skin feel dry and burned

smiththemainman
    Free Member

Cheers for replies might have to have a look as red neck is my typical start to every day!!

stumpy01

I bought an expensive Philishave razor (£150 down to £75 from Boots) several years ago while working over in Germany, Mon-Fri.

They expected me to be clean shaven every day and wet shaving always left me with a very irritated neck if I shaved every day.
    I thought it would be worth a try to see if electric shaving was more ‘gentle’ even if it wasn’t ultimately as good a shave.

It ended up being worse than wet shaving in terms of irritation and because the hairs on my neck seem to grow in all sorts of directions, you had to go round and round and up and down and across etc. to get all the hairs. I think this compounded the irritation issue.
    I tried for about 6 weeks thinking that my skin might need sometime to adjust, but it never got any better. I tried pre-shave oils and electric shave potions etc. but nothing made a difference.

But, my Dad has used an electric razor since about the mid-80s (always Braun), shaves everyday and has no irritation. So, it’s probably one of those things you have to try.

wobbliscott
    Free Member

Good for convenience. I find Braun to be better than philishave. Gives me almost as good a shave as wet shaving with a fraction of the hassle.

joshvegas
    Free Member

What razor are you using currently?

I am going to sound like a massive hipster here but I genuinely find double edged razors a much more pleasant expetience.

Less cuts and less irritation.

Love from a beardy who can blunt a mach 3 after two shaves.

andy4d

They are better these days, the wet n dry ones are good, but kind of defeat the purpose, might as well wet shave. If you use an electric then bear with it a few weeks to let your skin/stubble adjust, but this is the hardest bit. Dont switch between both types as they cut differently. Wet shaving cuts stubble to a point ( hence jaggy when growing back) and removes top layer of skin, hence close finish. Dry shaving cuts stubble flat so not as jaggy growing back but does not cut as close, will look fine but not feel as close/clean. I used sell them…….and I wet shave

ourmaninthenorth

i have very oily skin, so am prone to spots (even approaching 40). Just like washing my face with a cloth or sponge, so wet shaving causes acne*. Consequently I’ve used an electric shaver for the last 20 years. Always Phillips for no other reason than that’s what I started out with.

I’m not especially hirsuit around the chops, so don’t suffer the closeness issues that hairy chaps complain of.

*the answer it seems is a particular L’Oreal moisturiser. 6 months of minimal spots!

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

I bought a Remington something or another, 3 circular cutters, rechargeable etc & it was reduced from £££££££’s to ££’s. Works absolutely fine for me but I’m not a monkey.
    That wet shaving thread was interesting, I didn’t know people could consider wet shaving as almost a hobby!

Moses

I get on fine with a Philips rotary. I bought one of the cheaper 3-headed rechargeable in one of the regular sales (often around September for some reason) It works, it’s easy, there’s no faff.

pitchpro2011
    Free Member

Electric shavers never cut the hair on my face,I’ve really thick hair and end up going over and over before I finally give up and wet shave

Whathaveisaidnow
    Free Member

How about some stubble?

I use a beard/stubble trimmer, set it to 1, and just use that once a week.

Takes about 5 mins,…girls like stubble.

Kahurangi

Philishave one irritated my neck so I went back to braun. No irritation. Sure, not as close as a wet shave but also a fraction of the ingrown hairs that wet shaving left me with.

smiththemainman
    Free Member

Cheers for all the constructive replies, Sadly I just dont suit stubble!! I will dip my toe in the pool that is electric shaving , as soon as I can find one at the right money, as going by the replies it could become a paper weight, as for what razor, any thats on offer with a few free blades.

globalti
    Free Member

Ingrowing hairs are a big problem for black people whose hair is tightly curly as the hair gets tugged out of the follicle, cut, then retracts and next thing it’s trying to grow out through the follicle wall causing bumps or folliculitis. This is why shaving powder (depilatory with a manly name) is so popular in black Africa. King of Shaves is the best known brand, from the USA.

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

I am impatient with my shaving but find a 3 blade wilkinson hydro 3 combined with some king of shaves shaving serum the best for speed and convenience, and the blades give acceptable results for a lot longer (2 -3 weeks) than the other cartridge types as they don’t have those stupid paper lube strips.

Slightly better is if I use the battery containing version of the handle with its vibrate mode, which can deal with those awkward bits around the throat faster.

I used to use those wet-dry electric razors, which were OK but no less of a faf.

I had a remington one and one of the jap brands.

I have a Merkur DE razor but it is not a quick experience, even if you manage to avoid nicking yourself. I would rather get the train 10 minutes earlier and have more chance of a seat…

slowoldman

Electric you say? Not very STW is it? If you’re fed up shaving that’s nature’s way of telling you to grow beard.

Cougar

as for what razor, any thats on offer with a few free blades.

IME, that’s possibly part of the problem.

I’m of the DE camp these days (thanks in part to the generosity of STW forumites) but still use a Sensor if I’m in a hurry. Never got on with the 37-blade flappy-headed Mach-3 family (and they cost a fortune) and if I use disposables I end up looking like I’ve been scrubbing my face with an angry kitten.

If you want shaving apparatus as a gift, you might want to consider a nice razor? In honesty, the biggest difference in shaving quality for me came from switching from shaving foam / gel to a badger brush and shaving soap.

gofasterstripes
    Free Member

Takes about 5 mins,…girls like stubble.

About £15 I think? Use without the guard.

BillMC

I use a battery driven Wilkinson Sword razor, best of both worlds. Best shave I have ever had and the blades last a week.

Del

recently bought a braun 720. very good. fine – not as close as wet, but will happily deal with a couple of days of growth if required without pulling hairs. [givenuponlife]good compromise for me as i simply can’t be ar5ed with wet shaving and the alternative is a beard.[/givenuponlife]

smiththemainman
    Free Member

Jesus Del that looks an expensive paper weight if it isn`t face friendly!! will have a look at one in the flesh somewhere. cheers

Del

yeah, but no. amazon.
    hadn’t tried a leccy one since my old man bought me a cheap one in my late teens, which was infrequently used and probably not very good to start with, and unsurprisingly gave a shit performance as a result. i figured if i was going to give it a go, i’d better give it a go…

iolo
    Free Member

I’ve got a phillips senotouch wet/dry shaver.
    With foam, it’s nearly as good as razor (as long as the beard is not too long) and dry it’s ok.
    I use it daily any my face is as smooth as a babies arse.

Dibbs
    Free Member

I’ve had a Philips Sensotouch 3D Wet/Dry thing for a a couple of years now.
    I was having radiotherapy on my throat at the time and was advised that wet shaving and the risks of cuts and infection wasn’t a good idea.
    I’ve been pleasantly surprised by the quality of the shave (much better than the Braun foil thing I tried many years ago).

29erKeith
    Free Member

Similar time dibbs no wet shaving here due to bleeding and infection risk while on chemo. So I got a phillishave triple wet dry jobbie only a cheap one but I’ve been pleasantly surprised no irritation but if left for just a feew days the hair gets a bit long and it misses longer hairs. As soon as I’m allowed I’ll return to guard-less clippers for stubble and a murker for around my neck

Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)

The topic ‘Electric shavers!!’ is closed to new replies.