Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Electric Radiator – anybody used/have one?
  • ads678

I need to get a radiator fitted in my sons room. It was the spare room and for some reason has never had a radiator (60’s house).
    Rather than pulling up floor boards and carpets i thought maybe an electric one would do.
    Anybody got any recommendations as I know nothing about them!
    It’s only a small room so it doesn’t need to be massive and it could do with being fairly low profile.

globalti
    Free Member

We have a DeLonghi Dragon, which is an oil-filled electric job. It’s on wheels so we can trundle it around. It’s silent, extremely efficient and the thermostat is sensitive. What more can I say? Oh yes and it’s small and light enough to lift into the attic for storage.

I reckon oil-filled is safer than an electric element convection job, especially in a kid’s room.

Capt.Kronos
    Free Member

I also have one of them – had it in my boys room in the old house as that was pretty cold at night. It was fantastic! Sits behind the sofa at the moment incase the woodburner isn’t quite getting enough warmth into the room!

Ro5ey
    Free Member

Yep used one before … Agros jobbie, small maybe 20inch in width … what the chaps have said above, worked a treat…. STW seal of approval.

ads678

I’ve been looking at these ones https://www.electricradiatorsdirect.co.uk/ but will have a look at the DeLonghi, cheers guys.

globalti
    Free Member

My son’s bedroom is above the garage and outside the main thermal mass of the house so was always cold. We got it properly dry-lined and insulated and now it’s the warmest and quietest room in the house; when he’s hammering GTA the heat from his processor makes the room warm!

wzzzz
    Free Member

We have one, the thermostat “clicks” it on and off quite loudly, a consideration if its used at night in a bedroom.

ads678

There’s a chance his room will end up as our on-suite next year and he’ll be getting a new room in the attic so was just thinking of plugging an electric radiator in for this winter. I like the idea of it being fitted to the wall though.

Although that DeLonghi Oil filled one does get good reviews….

smashit
    Free Member

Coming from a part of the world where very few houses older than the 90’s have central heating (NZ), every house has a stock of electric heaters. Oil filled for ‘background’ heating, convection for faster but less even heat. They are cheap and efficient and handy to be able to move around if needed. Don’t really see the point of a wall mounted one other than kids tipping it over I guess!

ads678

Yeah that’s what I was thinking, if it’s wall mounted it won’t be falling over with kids playing next to it.

sharkbait
    Free Member

[quoteIt’s silent, extremely efficient[/quote]
    Not sure this is actually a thing. To produce 1kw of heat you have to use 1kw of electricity regardless of whether its an oil filled rad or a convector.
    The only way to do better is to use a heat pump in which case your 1kw of electricity could produce 3kw of heat.
    Convectors are quicker than oil filled (I’m not sure what the benefit of the latter is, even though I have both)

cynic-al
    Free Member

Bear in mind electricity is 3x the price of gas per kWh, a new rad may be cheaper in the long run

thegreatape
    Free Member

I’ve got two DeLonghi Dragons. Not cheap but very good.

ads678

Good point Al. I’ve got a neighbour who’s a plumber so i’ll see how much he’ll charge for fitting a rad….

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Electric Radiator – anybody used/have one?’ is closed to new replies.