Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • electric oven gone pop – what do i get?
  • mau00149
    Free Member

Our single electric built in oven has gone pop so we’re looking for a replacement. Never bought an oven before (with the exception of a microwave oven).

Anything to look out for? Any recommended brands? Brands to avoid? Any deals on the go? Should be fine fitting it myslef.

nemesis
    Free Member

Has it really gone? It could be a fairly simple element replacement?

mau00149
    Free Member

It’s a short in the control panel. Used to be able to give it a nudge/bang and it would come on but lots of fizzing and burnt circit board smell make it seem terminal. Think it was original with the house so probably 14 years old.

al2000

Can’t go wrong with Neff ovens, in my experience.

As it happens, I’ve got a less than two year old one for sale on the off chance you may be interested..

andyl
    Free Member

Most basic requirement for me is one with a timer function and fan.

From then on it’s just a case of how much you want to pay for extra features, better heat distribution, possibly better reliability etc.

Put a cheap Belling oven in my flat many years ago that fulfilled the timer and fan requirements and was nice and black and stainless. Been a good oven and cooked food well.

Ones like NEFF, Bosch, Siemens (often the same underneath as Bosch but higher price and a bit fancier), Zanussi etc seem to be good and in the not cheap and nasty or very expensive bracket.

I don’t think you can go wrong with the Bosch here: http://ao.com/product/HBA13B150B-Bosch-Classixx-Electric-Single-Oven-Stainless-Steel-24640.aspx

Not sure if the £50 cashback is on top of the offer price. Probably is.

But plenty of cheaper ones that look okay too.

hot_fiat

Got that exact oven. It’s ok, switches are a bit cheap and temperature control is a little wayward but otherwise it’s fine – a fit and forget oven.

TheFlyingOx

Has it really gone? It could be a fairly simple element replacement?

This. Ours did the same a couple of months ago. Some weird Smeg thing with unique dimensions so the only replacement that would fit was another of the same make & model. At £900, I thought I’d get a sparky in instead. He replaced two elements and sorted the noisy cooling fan for the grand sum of £68.

andyl
    Free Member

digital temp control is something that is nice to have. (provided it’s accurate of course). Dad had one with some self cleaning function too, no idea how well it worked well.

northernmatt

We got a New World oven in February, basic one not timer or clever stuff. £150. Thermostat is now gone and got to wait a week for them to come out. Would have liked to spend more but couldn’t afford it at the time.

So don’t get one of them.

lambchop
    Free Member

Neff

squirrelking
    Free Member

Have a Neff, not all that if I’m honest.

The lower oven hinges have been abused (suspect the door has been used as a table) and now won’t close fully – £50 fix

The corresponding door seal flaps about like a flappy thing and is sagging.

The oven light only lasts a couple of months before it burns out.

No idea how much the grill element that’s going will cost to replace.

Don’t get me wrong, it’s not BAD and the wear and tear stuff I can live with but for the money I’d just go with the cheaper Bosch version unless you want all the bells and whistles.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘electric oven gone pop – what do i get?’ is closed to new replies.