Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Electric assistance
  • dropoff

Has anyone here added an electric motor to their existing mtb, if so do you have any links to suppliers. I’m having a job finding much useful stuff. Ta

prettygreenparrot

I never considered the idea. Sounds…interesting. Why’re you looking into it?

allthegear
    Free Member

Speak to ton off of here – he’s spent a lot of time researching it…

Rachel

bencooper
    Free Member

I’ve built a load of different things – give me a call if you like (shop number 0141 942 2552, there 10 to 5 Tues to Sat).

Basically if you want more than the legal limit (15mph, 200W) then options are more limited, but it’s possible to do some very interesting stuff if you don’t mind bodging a bit.

RamseyNeil
    Free Member

A company called BionX produces aftermarket electric drive systems to attach to a regular bike , prices start from just over ! thousand IIRC and they are distributed by Zyro.

andyl
    Free Member

I like the motor that goes inside the seat tube. Not sure how effective it is though.

grum
    Free Member

I know someone who could knock you up one of these….

dropoff

Thanks for the help guys 🙂

ton

the pedelecs forum is full of advice…….and of blokes who can give you good advice too.

bencooper
    Free Member

Yeah, BionX are the motors I use most of at the moment – with some tweaks they can be reasonably powerful. Used to use Heinzmann and they used to make motors up to 2kW (that’s 10x the legal limit) but they don’t make them any more.

For a simple but pretty powerful motor, try to find a Currie / US Pro Drive motor.

dropoff

Thanks again. pedelecs forum ace, cheers Ton. funny how hard it is to find this stuff. Ben, would it be easy enough to put the battery in a camelback instead of on the bike ?

bencooper
    Free Member

Yes, I did that when I electrified a Dirtsurfer years ago – you want a connector that disconnects easily of course, I used a 1/4″ coiled headphone lead.

dropoff

Cheers Ben thanks for the help 🙂

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Electric assistance’ is closed to new replies.