Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Elbow pads. Tell me about your experiences.
  • wwaswas

Having knackered my left elbow and forearm for the third time this year I’m considering getting some sort of protection.

To me the G-Form pads look like they’d stop sliding along the singletrack abrasive injury but nor landing with your arm across a root bruising. Is that a reasonable assesment?

So, what can I get that will

1) give elbow and forearm protection
    2) be wearable under normal riding kit and waterproofs (not pyjamas).
    3) not look too stormtrooperish.

I’m not looking for bomb proof but impact resistance is important.

Slightly worried I’ll just move the point of injury to my collar bone so any reassurance in that area would be good.

seadog101

Dianese Trailskins saved my left elbow from a right nasty scuffing up. Ironically, it was the first time I’d ridden with any sort of protection beyond a helmet! Although I still had a graze underneath, without it I’d have been straight to A&E. They do feel a bit chunky, but they are pretty un-noticeable once they’re on. Certainly wearable under most kit.

I’ve also got some Raceface Indy 3DO. Much less protection TBH, but very slim and light. Would save you from gravel rash, but not much else. Any reasonable impact will certainly hurt.

Northwind

I absolutely love my POC Bones- they look ridiculous but they’re more comfortable and less warm than most soft pads, because of the articulation they naturally want to stay in the right place rather than being held on. They do look extremely stormtrooperish unfortunately but I doubt there’s a better elbowpad all round.

Just got a set of gforms for any time I don’t want to look like a stormtrooper, they’re supposed to offer a surprising amount of impact protection.

Suggsey
    Free Member

Leatt 3D for me!

wiggles
    Free Member

Troy Lee shock doctor

deadkenny
    Free Member

For regular trail and singletrack use, or downhilling?

For regular stuff I’d look at skills rather than pads, if in particular cornering skills if you are washing out on corners and grazing your arms. This is what was happening to me. Investigation on skills (with help from Jedi in my case) has me no longer losing it and sliding on my side when cornering.

Landing on roots, done many times though usually on the chest. Again, some skills work has cut down root trouble.

Anyway with the skills sorted, elbow pads would be in the way for my regular riding and not really required.

Downhilling though and I’ll stick some armour on there, just because at high speed, messing up and crashing hard on any extremity is worth a bit of protection. POC Bones by the way. Far too bulky and stormtrooper for regular trail use. Has taken hits well on DH days though.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

I have some POC VPD ones. Light, comfy and have done the job properly when called for.

superfli
    Free Member

Ordered 3 sets off CRC to try out. Dainese, Leatt 3D and some TLDs.
    The Dainese fit well and were very slim/lightweight, but I thought too lightweight for what I wanted (Alps riding, uplift days and the occasional mini DH race).
    The TLDs werent a great fit on me, so discarded.
    The Leatts were not too bulky, whilst looking like they would take a reasonable crash. They were a good fit without needing straps.

I bought the Leatts. They fit well, and can be hidden under a long sleeve. They grip better if worn over clothes though (I’d rather they were damaged than my jacket TBH).

wwaswas

It’s for regular singletrack riding.

Most recent was an otb after hitting a partially hidden tree stump.

It’s been coming for a while I think – I’ve been pushing harder in the recent dry weather.

May do the order a few variations from crc thing, cheers.

Paceman
    Free Member

CaptainFlashheart – Member

I have some POC VPD ones. Light, comfy and have done the job properly when called for.

Me too, I’ve had them 3/4 years and they’re still going strong if a little ragged round the edges/stitching. Super comfy soft pads that have taken some hits, not sure why I’ve got out of the habit of wearing them (I think I’ll have them bank on this weekend after seeing your crash Wwaswas). 😯

Northwind

I got a set of the TLD shock doctors but pretty much hated them instantly, there’s something really weird about the fit on the forearm- it seemed like the pad wanted to be flat not curved. Shame as they seemed excellent otherwise. Well priced too.

One thing to watch for is machine washability, a lot of D30 and similiar products are cold, handwash only which for me is just not really fit for purpose… Though ymmv

wwaswas

Quick Update:

Got some TLD EG5550’s from CRC and wore them last night. Fit is good (used the online measure how puny your biceps and forearms are and order based on that advice) and they stayed in place.

Quite warm which I think will be ok with the weather beginning to cool a bit (although it was really hot last night) as we head towards winter but not sure what they’d be like in mid-summer.

They also seem to have anti-gravity properties as I managed to not fall off.

Paceman
    Free Member

They also seem to have anti-gravity properties as I managed to not fall off.

Funny how that happens when you put pads on, and there were lots of comedy tumbles on the ride last night too 😉

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Elbow pads. Tell me about your experiences.’ is closed to new replies.