Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Eggbeaters or spuds
  • coffeeking
    Free Member

My damn spds sheared the rear cleat retention bit while it was icy, obviously not much good now so looking for new pedals. I’d also found I was clipping out of the spds too easily on max tension so I thought I’d look at the eggbeaters – CRC have them for £30 currently. So spuds or eggbeaters – where’s the differences in use? I dont suffer from the fabled “stuck-in” situation but I do often find I need a few attempts to clip in with spuds so im thinking the eggbeaters seems a good advance. Opinions from users? Anyone bought them and not liked them, if so why?

bigyinn
    Free Member

SPDs last forever with minimal maitenance. Eggbeaters work well but are prone to having bearings die far too regularly.

sometimerider
    Free Member

I’ve ridden the same candies for three years with no maintenance and no problems. What started as an experiment to see if an old pair of pedals was really as likely to die as everybody kept telling me has gone on longer than I expected.

gingerflash

Eggbeaters are easy to clip in to, but you need the sole-savers to protect your shoes – then you can’t clip in nearly as easily.

I had a couple of pairs, as did MrsF. This happened to both of us, and happens to most eggbeater-users eventually. It can be fixed, but it’s bloody annoying when it’s 15 miles from home on the first day of your holiday.

My cleats lasted very little time, 3 or 4 months a set.

If the bottom of the pedal hits anything, the top of the pedal opens releasing your cleat.

Shimano SPDs are better in every respect apart from weight. Reliable, easy in, adjustable spring tension, long-lasting, cheap too. The problem with your cleats coming out on max tension is probably that your cleats are worn out or they’re not aligned properly.

r6ymy
    Free Member

Have a look at some cheap Times, easy to clip into, work well in mud, and almost indestructable.

coffeeking
    Free Member

Hmm I never considered the rock-impact issue, interesting point. Mine could have been worn cleats but I always (almost from new) found they clipped out too easily, even when you were just jumping and your leg twisted a bit – find I have to hold my legs rigid so as not to rotate them, hence lack of confidence jumping with them.

gingerflash

If SPDs aren’t tight enough, there’s no way eggbeaters will be, and they’re not adjustable.

I suspect you have a set up issue, or maybe have multi-release cleats. Full tension on all the SPDs I have is ridiculously tight. No way would you come out by accident.

coffeeking
    Free Member

Hmmm ok fair points. I’ll return to spds then, cant remember what cleats I have on – will have to check. I used to love the old strappy clips where you were properly pinned on there, used to tie up the tension so tight I got numb toes LOL

Pieface

SPDs here.

Eggbeaters feel really wussy to clip in. You only know you’re clipped in when you pull up. And everything gingerflas says happened here too.

Tried em, went back to Shimano.

nickc

I think GF’s response should be the stock answer everytime this comes up

coffeeking
    Free Member

Thats sorted then, thanks all! My old cleats were Onza ones that went with my Onza pedals – look exactly like shimano cleats but somewhere between single and multi release lol.

Del

hmm. i’ll agree that they’re not without their faults, however…

If the bottom of the pedal hits anything, the top of the pedal opens releasing your cleat.

this has never happened to me in three or four years but i don’t clout my pedals often.

If SPDs aren’t tight enough, there’s no way eggbeaters will be, and they’re not adjustable.

the design of eggbeaters means that until the cleat is really worn, when you pull up on them, they get tighter. twist to release.

My cleats lasted very little time, 3 or 4 months a set.

i’ve used two or three pairs of cleats, riding once a week minimum, approx 30k and 1200m rise/fall single speed. very often two or three rides a week.

interim service can be done using bearings at 80p a go and a new nyloc nut. takes ten minutes.
    again, they’re not without their faults, but they’re not that bad.
    i have some times too. find them more awkward to clip in and sometimes difficult to get out of.

Pieface

Ergo, SPDs

Popocatapetl

i use Candy Bros custom C with Shimano SPD MT 50 Shoes. You can switch the cleats for different release angles. a good shoe with a solid base is always a benefit with the Candy custom C as it allows a more even weight distribution. egg beaters can feel a bit pin pointy in my experience.

iRideSpesh
    Free Member

Get a pair of XTRs – you may pay a bit more, but it will work out cheaper in the long run. I’ve had mine for about 3 years now, and they are rock solid. Zero maintanance….and they clip in/out same as they day they went in my bike.

Also, I had a pair of egg-beaters and I binned them after a month….

speedy119
    Free Member

I vote for XTR pedals. Worth paying the extra money for. Eggbeaters need too much maintainance.

nukeproof
    Free Member

My Bontrager SPD-compatible pedals finally gave up yesterday…they came with my 1999 Klein Attitude and have been swapped on to all my bikes since

will
    Free Member

Never going to use egg beaters, ever since my pedal died (same was as Ginger Flash’s) half way around the trails at Afan.

Jezkidd
    Free Member

Time, broke 3 sets of eggbeaters

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘Eggbeaters or spuds’ is closed to new replies.