Viewing 38 posts - 1 through 38 (of 38 total)
  • Egg beaters…
  • Kryton57

What are they like – any good? I normally ride & replace shimano M520’s but cold drop some weight with some egg beaters.

?

woodnut
    Free Member

I tried them, pretty much went straight back to spds…found them uncomfortable and a bit sloppy compared to spds…I know a lot of folk really like them though.

AlexSimon

I love them because of the float. I consider it to have saved my knees.

I find the current cheap ones a bit crap though – servicing isn’t as easy as the old cheap ones.
    So I’ve now bought the ones with needle rollers. Haven’t had to service them yet though.

adsh
    Free Member

Ritchey SPDs are lighter than XTR and a bit cheaper (I think).

adsh
    Free Member

double post

Kryton57

The top 255g ones are half price on Wiggle atm, and I wouldnt have to change my cleats.

Thanks for that… 🙂

zippykona

Good for wonky knees and mud. Need more attention than shimano but a service takes 5 minutes.

PiknMix
    Free Member

I love mine, they are the earlier ones which apparently fall apart just by looking at them.
    I have had them on three bikes now, the last one being my commuter and they still work flawlessly. Loads of float and easy to engage, I actually binned some spds to put these back on as I missed the amount of float that they have.

scotroutes

The top 255g ones are half price on Wiggle atm, and I wouldnt have to change my cleats.
    Thanks for that… [/quote]Careful with that. I’ve found that Ritchey/Shimano cleat/pedal compatibility only works one way.

I have a set of Ritchey V4 Micro pedals in the garage (labelled as Road as they are single-sided). They’re only 200g. Interested?

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/ritchey-pro-micro-v4-road-pedals/rp-prod39453?

njee20
    Free Member

They fall apart very fast though IME, wouldn’t bother.

I’ve been on Egg Beaters for about 5 years, I really like them. The newer ones need an occasional service (like, annual) to keep them running nicely. They’re light, they work well, they do everything a pedal should frankly. Add Ward Industries ti spindles for a decent set of light pedals for not that much money. Despite what they say though they’re not really compatible with EB1s, you need at least 2s.

Del

time pedals do everything egg beaters do, but keep the internals separate from the rest of the world, so in other words, better. 😉

Bullet

When I ran Eggbeaters, at first I liked them then found they needed constant stripping and greasing and also felt like there wasn’t enough support for your feet – kinda sideways tilting feeling. They also dug into the soles of the shoes around the cleat.

njee20
    Free Member

time pedals do everything egg beaters do, but keep the internals separate from the rest of the world, so in other words, better.

They weigh a lot more too.

They also dug into the soles of the shoes around the cleat.

Ah yes, they do that. Worth getting some “sole savers” – little metal plates that go under the cleats. Non issue then.

AlexSimon

also felt like there wasn’t enough support for your feet – kinda sideways tilting feeling.

The newer designs have a little more side-support. They have small collars either side of the cage.

scotroutes

Or use Candys

Bullet

I tried Candys and although they felt OK, needed even more grease injections to keep them running!

thecaptain
    Free Member

Legbeaters are great for mud (and snow!) but fall apart pretty regularly. Time ATAC seem much much more durable, and have a bit of a bigger platform.

Free Member

had one set of the original egg beaters, only one set of bearings in their life. They now live on my sister-in-law’s road bike as an intro to clippy pedals thanks to a great amount of float.

In fact, I’ll be buying them again when the time comes.

unovolo
    Free Member

Got a set of original eggbeater Cs’s that must be 10years old and probably only now need a rebuild.
    I put this down to loading them up with grease prior to ever using them, then probably twice a year a quick strip down, clean and packed with fresh grease.

Also have a set of Candy SL’s which are probably 5years old with no issues and these get the same treatment.

I have tried SPD’s and don’t have any issue with them just prefer the 4 sided entry and lightweight of the eggies.

5thElefant
    Free Member

I go through them faster than tyres, so they I must like them, but they’re consumables.

Have had one pair since about 2002, and other than servicing them at infrequent intervals when the bearings go sloppy I haven’t had to worry about them. I have some latter generation and they’ve been fine too.

bigblackshed

I’ve had a pair of Candy Cs on my commuter for 8 years. Never touched them as far as servicing in that time. Still work like the day I put them on.

Shimano Spds, went through three pairs in one winter.

jate
    Free Member

I’ve used SPDs, Eggbeaters & Time ATACs.
    I find SPD’s a bit too firm with very little float.
    Eggbeaters have the float I like but they required too much maintenance.
    So I ended up with ATACs which have loads of float but don’t seem to require any maintenance (although the cleats do wear out). Wouldn’t use any other MTB pedal now.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

ATACs which have loads of float but don’t seem to require any maintenance (although the cleats do wear out). Wouldn’t use any other MTB pedal now.

Amen, brother!

Rubber-Duck

Not quite what the OP was enquiring about, but Time ATACs have been completely fit and forget.Highly recommended if you are considering Beaters.

onewheelgood

I’ve got Candys on the road bike and the singlespeed, eggbeaters on the hardtail and the fs. Both old and new types of each. In the days when i only had one bike the eggbeaters needed a rebuild kit every 3 or 4 years – £11. Never had a set break on me, but my riding buddy has had 2 sets of XTRs fall apart while jra.

DanW
    Free Member

I go through them faster than tyres, so they I must like them, but they’re consumables.

This is my experience too. I have no problem replacing bearings but it is the springs going super sloppy after a few months that I can’t live with. The result is a sloppy connection with the foot.

Time are great but heavy at a given price and no way to adjust the Q-Factor if this is important to you. Cleats don’t last any time at all either.

Look seem to be reasonably popular among the properly fast guys as another option to look at.

I am really happy with my Xpedo M-Force 8 Ti pedal which were £90 new on ebay from an Aus seller, 216g, very well sealed with proper bearings throughout (bearings last far far better than XTR), great in heavy mud (same as Eggbeaters/ Time, much better than XTR) take normal SPD cleats (so last ages and can adjust the Q-Factor slightly) and have adjustable spring tension. Nothing not to like!

AlexSimon

DanW – what about the float on the Xpedos? Similar to Shimano?

DanW
    Free Member

6 degrees internal/ external rotation I believe with the Xpedo supplied cleats. I didn’t have too much time on Shimano but you I guess much like Shimano, you can introduce small extra float in the anterio-posterior and medial-lateral directions by reducing the spring tension. There shouldn’t be any need for anything other than 3 degrees rotational float for pretty much everyone- so the Xpedo offer more than enough for happy knees if that is the question 😀

Edit, Kryton, I have some Eggbeaters (the version with full bearings) with custom Ti axles which I could let you keep for the cost of postage if you want to give them a try? In fact I think I have several pairs if anyone wants them- maybe a little play in the axles but something to try and see if you like them

fd3chris
    Free Member

DanW I would definitely take a pair off your hands as I’m eager to try them out. Thanks.

DanW
    Free Member

I will try and dig out the pedals from my bits box and put details up here.

fd3chris
    Free Member

Thanks mate. Much appreciated.

piedidiformaggio
    Free Member

Swapped all my Eggies for Time ATACs as I had a series of beaterers falling to pieces. You seem to get about 100 yards that something doesn’t ‘feel right’, then boom, it’s in two pieces and your ride is ruined.

Times have been properly fit & forget

thecaptain
    Free Member

Interesting to see the number of votes for ATAC. I discovered them about 15 years ago, soon after getting into MTBing (and after a few awful muddy struggles with SPDs) and have not yet thrown out my oldest set – though they are rough and some of the plastic has chipped off.

DanW
    Free Member

Hi all,

Sorry the the long delay digging out the pedals.

I have 2x Time Attac, 2x Egg Beater, 1x XTR M980, 1x Look Keo if anyone fancies trying something new?

Cheers, Dan

no_eyed_deer
    Free Member

Remarkable… five years or so ago all you would have heard on a thread similar to this would have been something like ‘they’re rubbish, simply don’t bother’.

Has this forum got a bit more reasonable of late?

As an avid Egg Beater user of 10 years or so, I can recommend them. The new generation design seems fairly bomb-proof and has dealt with a lot of problems the old ones had.

Nevertheless, I’m still running eight sets of the old design on my other bikes and they seem to work okay with a bit of TLC now and again. The lose springs / wobbly wings thing can be solved by taking the entire pedal mechanism apart and bending the spring tabs slightly – to force tension in the spring. This seems to need doing about once every 6 months’ riding. With practice I can do this in about 15 minutes on both pedals now when necessary.

To me, I like the way these pedals feel to clip into and pedal on. I also find they just look good, in a nicely descrete minimal way. Things like big, heavy SPDs, or those grey plastic Time things are simply too damn fugly to my eye.

I’m always looking for spare pairs though… how much for the ‘Beaters above? 😉

njee20
    Free Member

Has this forum got a bit more reasonable of late?

No, they redesigned the product, as you say!

Like you, I never really had issues with the old ones though.

mrsausage
    Free Member

Would be interested in trying some beaters for my old knees, will chuck a few quid to charity if a pair are spare?

Viewing 38 posts - 1 through 38 (of 38 total)

The topic ‘Egg beaters…’ is closed to new replies.