Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 74 total)
  • **** bastarding midges
  • pebblebeach
    Free Member

I **** hate you little bastards. If Alex **** Salmond could eradicate these **** the **** cock end would get my vote year after year.

Bastards

That’s all.

couldashouldawoulda
    Free Member

DEET.

Game over.

That’s all.

druidh
    Free Member

Smidge

tazzymtb

ah yes but if it wasn’t for the midges you’de be over run with the english.

stevewhyte
    Free Member

If only we could breed a midge that like the taste of English blood only.

Winner all the way.

tazzymtb

no mere insect could have taste that good 😀

thegreatape
    Free Member

Smidge

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Another vote for smidge – used it the last few days and it does work – in a similar league to DEET but nothing like as nasty

superleggero
    Free Member

What about Avon’s Skin So Soft dry body oil spray:

http://www.scotsman.com/news/scottish-news/top-stories/avon-s-spray-finds-calling-as-midge-repellent-for-royal-marines-1-1403152

Haven’t tried it myself but if it’s good enough for the Royal Marines…

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

avon is nothing like as effective. it works by drowning them, smidge works by getting them to loose interest in you

druidh
    Free Member

You were happy with the Smidge then TJ? I was worried that, after me recommending it, you’d have a ‘mare

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Impressed Druidh – very impressed. I did have some DEET with me just to be on the safe side – and a midge hood 🙂 I won’t bother with the DEET again

ojom
    Free Member

You’ll be glad to know TJ you can pick it up from me next time you bring that shitter round to the shop.

Ace eh. Tools and pesticides.

thegreatape
    Free Member

You’ll be glad to know TJ you can pick it up from me next time you bring that shitter round to the shop.

I knew was a secret dog owner. Hypocritical bastard.

🙂

mav12
    Free Member

I find the avon works well i do lot of fishing and get bothered by the midges

matt_bl
    Free Member

TandemJeremy – Member
    avon is nothing like as effective. it works by drowning them, smidge works by getting them to loose interest in you

Skin so soft contains citronella which is also likely to have a repellent effect.

I suspect the concentration of ‘active ingredient’ is higher in the ‘Smidge’.

Matt

Fortunateson09
    Free Member

I’ve never found a midge repellant that works for me.
    Fortunately, for my recent trip to Torridon there was a stiff enough breeze that they didn’t bother us, but for about 20 minutes, just as we were packing up to leave they were out in force and I can honestly say that if it had been that bad all weekend I would have driven the 200 miles home.

There is no thing, person or concept in all the universe that I despise more than the Scottish midge.

One day, I will genetically engineer them out of existence, you have my word.

richmtb

I’m camping in Ardnamurchan tomorrow. I’m giving Smidge a try.

I really hope it works as the little bastards absolutely love me and and the bites I get often come up in ugly yellow blisters.

I’ve got some Avon and some other repellants too just for back up!

mangoridebike

bog myrtle

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

matt_bl

citronella has a very slight repellent effect. Smidge has a new chemical repellent that actually works. As good as high stength Deet. Teh Avon basically works by drowning tbhem as they land not repelling themIIRC

Fortunateson09

Try the smidge – it really is a revelation – something that works and is not unpleasant

13thfloormonk

One day, I will genetically engineer them out of existence, you have my word

DANGER! I suspect what remains of Scottish bio-diversity (i.e. that isn’t f**king deer or grouse) probably ALL depends on the humble midgie, its like plankton. What we need is an equivalent to the basking shark but on land, some sort of giant bird with a gaping maw just drifting about the place hoovering them up.

On another note, if you fancy going ‘bareback’ so to speak then I find a combo of midgie coils in the campfire and chain smoking cigarettes to be mildy effective…

peterfile
    Free Member

Avon is guff. You’re clearly in midge softlands if SSS manages to keep them at bay.

DEET works. But if you are away for more than a day, the side effects become quite noticable (minor stuff like plastic melting and skin irritation and temporary blindness when you sweat the stuff into your eyes).

I tend to use 50% DEET and just spray it on my clothes, and the occasional spray on my head (wearing a hat) if it’s bad.

Will have a look at Smidge, sounds promising (I can’t stand using DEET for days on end).

Best prevention is just to cover up as much as possible. I wear a balaclava when belaying on climbs, but i’ll often have loads of the wee buggers hanging from my eyelids.

I wonder what all the coach loads of foreign tourists must think? A lot of them come from countries where insects can be poisonous and/or carry disease, so it must be odd as they are being eaten alive and all of their social conditioning is telling them they are about to die, that a wee tour operator says “don’t worry, they are just midges”

🙂

shifter
    Free Member

I must have a good 100+ bites at the moment after a four day trip to that Wales : (

13thfloormonk

bog myrtle

Ha, I’ve been telling folk its a natural repellant but didn’t really believe myself.

On a side note, I’ve also been telling folk that bog myrtle was what the vikings smoked in order to ‘get their pillage on’, so to speak. Not entirely sure I believe that one either, but then I’ve not been brave enough to try smoking it…

druidh
    Free Member

Bog myrtle is known to be effective. IIRC there have been various attempts to productionise it for use as a repellent but all seem to have failed.

13thfloormonk

What do you actually do with it then? I’ve been walking about with sprigs of it behind my ears…

mangoridebike

A friend of our runs a toiletries company that are now producing a Bog Myrtle cream.

Wife and daughter were out most of the afternoon yesterday and the day before with 0 bites between them, this included a couple of hours at the Nevis Range, which had clouds of them on Tuesday evening.

I’ve just got back so haven’t tried it yet, I will try it out over the weekend.

matt_bl
    Free Member

TJ,

The difference is that one is designed from the outset to be a repellent product, the other has it as a happy side effect.

Citronellol is very well recognised and characterised as an insect repellent. Concentration is the key difference.

Matt

13thfloormonk

We also found that ‘tea tree’ wipes (i.e. posh wet wipes) from Boots seemed to have a temporary effect, useful for late night dashes outside, also a lot more pleasant to apply and had the bonus effect of ‘removing make-up the natural way while leaving my skin soft and moisturised…’ (according to the packet anyway)

duckman

Cheers guys; In a couple of hours I am going to take the three slow-moving DoE girls who have been siting SG art today up to join my schools DoE silver practise. It is muggy and still in Glen Prosen today 🙁

BTW: I am trying to make outdoor clothing out of bog myrtle

slimjim78
    Free Member

sorry, but WTF is smidge?

studioderm
    Free Member

+ 1 for Smidge.

http://2010.midgeforecast.co.uk/

also an old man in his 90s i met in Achiltibuie once told me
    ‘if you eat Marmite the wee bastards won’t bother you’

Apparantly they don’t like the smell of vitamine B.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Matt – sorry – no its not. Citronella is not the main repellent ingredient in Smidge. Citronella in any concentration is ineffective agaisnt midge swarms.

http://2010.midgeforecast.co.uk/images/uploads/Smidge%20January%202011.pdf

peterfile
    Free Member

It’s the name of a midge repellent 🙂

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

slimjim78 – Member

Its a new insect repellent developed in Scotland for the highland biting midge – follow the links above

dufresneorama
    Free Member

DEET works, the avon stuff doesn’t IMHO.

Get the 50% or the 50+ which has some extra shizzle in it.
    If you are real tasty to them, go with 100% – it will melt stuff, but you’ll stay bite free

duckman

There was an ad on MWIS a couple of years ago looking for some poor wee sod to test it….one are coated,the other not :mrgreen: I had some rubbish jobs as a student,but really…

peterfile
    Free Member

Looks like they found someone!

matt_bl
    Free Member

TandemJeremy – Member
    Matt – sorry – no its not. Citronella is not the main repellent ingredient in Smidge. Citronella in any concentration is ineffective agaisnt midge swarms.

http://2010.midgeforecast.co.uk/images/uploads/Smidge%20January%202011.pdf

TJ

No need to be sorry, I am perfectly well aware that the active in Smidge is Icaridin.

The point I was making is that ‘Smidge’ is designed to be an isect repellent, with an appropriate concentration of the active ingredient. It will be diesigned for efficacy.

Avon SSS is desgned to soften skin, but happily for those who have used it, it also, by containing a active repellent, has some efficacy in keeping insects at bay. The conscnetration of the active ingredient, in SSS case citronellol most likely, will be lower as it is designed to soften skin.

I’m not aware that anyone in this thread has suggest SSS is better, for the vast majority of people it is unlikely to be. I am just trying to stand up for SSS which may be an alternative for people, since there is good anecdotal evidence and a sound scientific basis for its properties.

Would I used SSS in a malaria area or in the hieght of a midge season, probably not, I would go for a product designed to be an ‘insect repellent’.

Matt

AlexSimon

So why are people jumping on Smidge all of a sudden when Autan has been using it for years? Is it the waterproofing?

For me, they keep saying lcaridin is ‘safe’ (they also say the same of DEET) yet it seems that any contact with mucous membranes causes fairly severe irritation.

I know that when I’m in the middle of a swarm, I’ll with I’d got anything, but right now, sat at my computer, I’m not really getting ‘safe’ vibes from Smidge.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 74 total)

The topic ‘**** bastarding midges’ is closed to new replies.