Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Education Secretary and Maths – not on talking terms…
  • wwaswas

Only 153 schools apply to become academies – despite education secretary's claims that more than 1,000 had done so

http://www.guardian.co.uk/education/2010/jul/29/michael-gove-academies-schools-claims

I can't believe they've rushed this through, schools have had no time to consider what the implications for them are – no wonder so few have applied.

And as for Gove – he's either surrounded by civil Servants who are out to get him or more than a little incompetent…

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

stupid and incompetent. Thats the second major clangor he has dropped

br
    Free Member

Or the Heads have looked at the proposal and realised that there is nothing in it, for them?

wwaswas

from what I know of my local schools the heads are all waiting to see if any of their 'competitors' jump – I think once one school in an area goes it may trigger the other outstandign schools to follow suit for fear of having their 'best' future pupils taken by a school that doesn't have to follow LA rules on admittance policy and can, effectively, cherry pick the kids who will give it the best results/kudos.

brassneck

It's selection by the back door. 🙁

paule
    Free Member

I wish my school had considered it more – the head's jumped right in. Lucklily, we've managed to persuade him not to sign up until 1st October (rather than sneaking it through over the summer) but it looks like an excercise in rubber stamping rather than consultation now.

Currently all happy sounding, saying that terms and conditions of employment, selection etc won't change, but as soon as a new head or management team appear (due in a couple of years) then there will be a lot of worried staff here!

goon
    Free Member

clangor

Oops! 😉

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Education Secretary and Maths – not on talking terms…’ is closed to new replies.