Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 58 total)
  • Edinburgher FAT curious rim bulk-buy
  • cynic-al
    Free Member

I’m prob gonna order a rim from this lot in the next few days, if anyone wants one I’m happy to add to the order to save postage (once you’ve paid me a decent deposit) for pick-up at my city centre office or maybe Porty.

http://classic-cycle.de/index.php?force_sid=77e6b5cf50dbf40e8051d0dd77cf2c4d&cl=search&searchparam=26+dhl&searchcnid=

Cheers, email in profile.

Woody
    Free Member

Is it the 65 or 80mm you’re looking at Al and do you know the weight?

Edit: Is it the same as Epicylco has at 1250gms !

cynic-al
    Free Member

80mm and yes.

I have a drill though 😀

firestarter
    Free Member

What forks you got al I’m still fat curious (don’t let our lass hear that lol)

cynic-al
    Free Member

Going to epi-cyclo a pair of Zocchis if the wheel won’t fit my Revs, or may borrow a rigid pair I may buy for my cx.

Nice thing is my HT frame will take the 80mm I reckon.

Looking at some 2.4 RR’s on it.

firestarter
    Free Member

Cool I bet you end up full fat 😉

cynic-al
    Free Member

We’ll see…am still not convinced TBH!

firestarter
    Free Member

😉

Woody
    Free Member

Hmmm – tempting but I think I’ll stick with my 46mm rear hubbed trials wheel which comes in at 2835gms incl. Endo, tube, q/r and 200mm disc!

firestarter
    Free Member

I still kinda want to try some 50mm ish rims on the 29er to spread the tyre

allankelly

Thanks Al, and for the email nudge.

I got 2xAlex DX32 rims, one built onto a non-disk front so I’ve been out “half fat” and front brake-less. All very good & under £50 all-in. Dunno if you saw my pics?
    Snow ride pics

An 80mm is over 2x the DX32 width – are you going for an Endo/Larry? It’ll need it I think. I’m running a 3″ Gazza.

… and it’s currently thawing at a rate of knots!

Cheers, al.

cynic-al
    Free Member

I did al, I got a 50mm rim but my 2.5 tyre didn’t get much bigger on it…I then read about using 80mm rims on those tyres on mtbr and decided to go for it…as long as I can return the rim which I think I can.

Unless you want it Firestarter?

epicyclo

firestarter – Member
    I still kinda want to try some 50mm ish rims on the 29er to spread the tyre

I’ve got a set of 47s on the way. I’ll be sticking Racing Ralphs on them, and I’ll post the measurements up once they’re here.

allankelly – Member
    … and it’s currently thawing at a rate of knots!

Which means lots of really soggy trails. Guess what fat bikes are really good on 🙂

I rode round the ‘Puffer today – it was very icy and ice spikes would have made life much better, but I was able to ride over stuff that I couldn’t walk on or manage on normal tyres.

I wouldn’t worry too much about the weight of the rims. My fatbike feels horrendously heavy to me when I pick it up, but it glides over everything like a feather. If I didn’t have to lift it over fences on some rides, I would be happy with it as is.

One other thing: I managed to get a 10mm offset rear cog with a hubgear spline (Alfine, SRAM, S-A). This would help if you were fitting a fat wheel on a modified bike because you wouldn’t have to offset the rear wheel so much. I tried a fit up with an Alfine, but the offset is too great – it interferes with the change mechanism. It should work ok with the S-A though.

cynic-al
    Free Member

Good info as ever epicyclo, ta!

coastkid
    Free Member

I see a group beachride happening next summer! 😮

Berwick to Holy Island could be a possible bivvy overnighter next summer,
    Tide times permitting!, about 12 miles each way once you ride through the dunes

rOcKeTdOg

*wishes he lived further north….sometimes*

firestarter
    Free Member

Possibly al but I’d like to see epi measurements on a 50mm 29er rim first . Cheers mate

cynic-al
    Free Member

OK I can let you know how a Diesel 2.5 and RR 2.4 works on it if that helps.

Woody
    Free Member

Jeez Al – looking at the timings above do you ever sleep?

YHM BTW 😉

cynic-al
    Free Member

A bit insomniac at the mo woody, ta for email.

RD we are looking at 65-100mm here!

firestarter
    Free Member

Al your is 26″isn’t it ? If so I’ll wait on the 29er measurements if that’s ok. If you have to send it back then no worries mate

cynic-al
    Free Member

that’s right FS.

RestlessNative
    Free Member

cynic-al

I’d be really interested in the difference between the same tyre on a normal rim, a 50mm and 80mm rim

This is my inbred I am considering fatting up a bit, I’m only down the road near Biggar

2.4 and 2.25 ardents at the moment and normal rims

rOcKeTdOg

100 mm blimey!

coastkid
    Free Member

rOcKeTdOg, heres 100mm rims! :mrgreen:

rOcKeTdOg

lol

RestlessNative
    Free Member

yikes

coastkid
    Free Member

Heres a film on this moots,

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r79Auazbplo[/video]

cynic-al
    Free Member

OK here’s some measurements:

2.4 RR on 819 rim – carcass width 50mm

on 50mm rim – 61mm

“on both rims” – 70mm

IMAG0248.jpg by alan cole, on Flickr

epicyclo

I’ve got a set of 100mm rims, and with an Endomorph the tyre is approx 108mm wide (I can only measure to 106mm because the legs of my calliper are too short). The problem is that on 100mm rims the sidewalls bulge out beyond the tread.

I’ll build up a set of wheels with them at some stage, but they will be exclusively for soft going – I wouldn’t want to take them near rocks for example.

The best size in my opinion is 80mm because you get the maximum float without the sidewall bulge. Thus you can use your bike anywhere.

cynic-al
    Free Member

I am re-thinking the 80mm / 2.4 concept, it looks fragile.

epicyclo

I’ll stick a Nobby Nic on an 80mm today and report back with pics.

Woody
    Free Member

On a different note, I thought I may have sourced an ‘American made’ steel fat frame but no joy. The guy didn’t seem too happy that based on the (lack of) info I didn’t just buy it and sent me an email “yeah,thats the crappy part about American made quality Frames that are welded by the Mountain Bike Industries best welder.They cost a lot and everyone wants them for less than we pay

I had asked for some details ie. offset, dimensions, fork options and all I received back was a choice of two frames, 17″ & 19″ one in silver the other black and one of which was a used (ex-demo?) frame with some chips. Either US$799 (used) or $899 ‘new’ – that was all the info I received in 3 emails to him…….and I nearly forgot, $250 shipping to the UK !!

I might have considered it a bit more if :-
    a) He’d let me know who the best mtb welder is
    b) What steel is used
    c) He’d given any other relevant info at all!

There are some strange folk about !

coastkid
    Free Member

i have 3 spare 4″ Endomorph tyres now- the older 60 TPI ones with the thinner sidewalls (which are better spread for beach)
    im keeping 2 for spares and for a er… 2nd fatbike i hope to get built for summer (for xc riding..yes you read that right!)
    so theres a spare tyre if anyone local ish want a loan of to try out…maybe give you an idea of a big one up front 😉
    proberly if you like the feel you would buy a Larry anyway with a 120 TPI sidewall which is way better steering on regular trails/road etc..but i know its a big layout for a big skin if your unsure 😮
    bugger it- its the festive season so could lend 2 out… but cany be bothered with posting so if your say a 50 mile radius of Edinburgh give me a buzz…
    Also got a Kona Humu Humu (massive name one) frame for sale £50,
    takes a 3″ rear tyre 😮 so ideal for a semi fatbike progect,
    NOTE; it takes a 130mm rear hub and v brake/canti only and Horizontal drop outs, though a rear hub like a hope could get a couple of MM machined of the outside spacers…or remove a Shimano hubs cone washers to fit… i bought it for such a progect but going for 2 full fats (once i sell a heap of stuff) here it is…
    Yes i know the slabs need pointed 😆

cynic-al
    Free Member

Jeez Bruce, hijacking my thread, to sell your tat?

OK I’ll let it go if you lend me an Endo 😀

RestlessNative
    Free Member

thanks for that cynic-al

I’m thinking a 2.6 and a 2.4 on 50mm trials rims might be the way to go for a half fat compromise inbred based on your measurements and the look of the 2.4 on “both” rims

coastkid
    Free Member

Aye no probs Al…need a spare frame too? :mrgreen:
    next few days will be boozy 😆
    But what i will do is after New Year get in touch as have to go to the bike chain for some KM 29er stickers so get train up town and ride home via some coast on the pug, could meet up and have a shot on the beach at porty if you want…
    or…
    i am going to Dave`s birthday ride on January 3rd at Beescraig with HH if your going?,i can bring a tyre along (rideout on MTBScotland.com)

cynic-al
    Free Member

Ta Bruce I’ll look into that ride. I could get your stickers if you like and see you down here, or just see you out EL for a spin?

RN I would like to try a 65mm rim on these large tyres. The main issue for me is that I can het a 80mm rim into my frame, but there’s few/no tyres between the 2.4″s and the Surly 4″ and only the former would go in the rear triangle (I could try that Duro Leopard) which is where the rim and tyre will hopefully end up. Mtbtires.com is really good for tyre info, it seems only a Muddy Mary is mich bigger than a RQ (volume of 37 vs 35, Gaz being 43). I guess I could squeeze in a 4″ tyre on a 50mm rim but couldn’t run it soft.

How wide is your 2.4?

Woody
    Free Member

Al – just for reference (I haven’t got a pressure gauge) I’ve been running the Endo on my 46mm rim very soft, to the point where I can depress it with my thumbs to about an inch above the rim, without any probs. Any softer and I’d be risking pinch flats on small rocks.

Footprint with me on the bike is exactly 100mm.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 58 total)

The topic ‘Edinburgher FAT curious rim bulk-buy’ is closed to new replies.