Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Edinburgh trails?
  • SteveBbrain
    Free Member

Hi, I'm stopping at Morton hall caravan park for a few days and wondered where the nearest trails are. I can see the Pentland hills from my window now so there must be good ones there (?). I've already sussed out a local short route up Braid hill that I'm about to embark on, but any other ideas gratefully recieved.
    I should be here till friday if anyone wants a ride out.
    steve.

cynic-al
    Free Member

Pooflands, Braids, Arthur's Seat

13thfloormonk

You're in 'city singletrack' central up there, Mortonhall has all sorts of nice wee trails hidden away in the trees.

Head along to the garden centre and have a wee play on the trails parallel with the road. You can ride through the garden centre, take a gate on the left, and follow the paths up to the golf club. A bit of imagination and sharp eyes will reveal a few decent lines.

Head slightly further along to Mounthooly Loan, ride up and keep your eyes left/right, there's a few more wee trails that are good for a little play.

Following the roads further to Dreghorn and there's more stuff in the trees.

By the time you get to Dreghorn you're close to the Pentlands (whats with the 'Pooflands' joke? Is that just a really really really clever dig at the less than Alpine trails? 🙄 ) but you'd need a map or a guide to find the good stuff without ending up lost.

I'm injured otherwise I'd be glad to show you some trails.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

No TBC ride this Wed? weather forecast is pish but I might be out later in the week anyway. 13th floor monk has it about right but the main pentlands routes are marked on the OS map.

coogan
    Free Member

I prefer the term Shitelands myself.

13thfloormonk

nah, 'shitelands' loses all the subtlety of 'pooflands'…

cynic-al
    Free Member

I've been calling them the Pooflands since back in the day, in the 80s, ken?

jimmy

Uh huh, huh… Pantlands… Huh *sniggers*

Could do a lot worse than have them 'on your doorstep'

13thfloormonk

I've been calling them the Pooflands since back in the day, in the 80s, ken?

Aha, tradition! Fair enough, you should get the OS to update their maps.

SteveBbrain
    Free Member

Cheers monk, I'll have a play. Think I found a few of those nice little trails on my short ride earlier.

druidh
    Free Member

Wot tj said

ojom
    Free Member

Steve, come meet up with us. Tj isn't as bad as he sounds. Really.

stevenmenmuir
    Free Member

Nah, he's worse.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

OI!

cynic-al
    Free Member

No really, he is worse!

stevenmenmuir
    Free Member

In true panto fashion, "He's behind you!"

SteveBbrain
    Free Member

Thanks for offer guys, but we are on hols so Mrs would not be pleased if I left her on her own for the night. Anyhow we are off into town for day/night today, may just fit a short ride in now before a late brekky 😛

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Edinburgh trails?’ is closed to new replies.