• This topic has 23 replies, 13 voices, and was last updated 9 years ago by alanl.
Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • Edinburgh Pre-theatre?
  • Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Any suggestions from any locals? Taking the good lady to see Wicked @ The Playhouse in a couple of weeks, looking for somewhere nice and within a taxi ride for food.

NZCol

Good italian just a bit further down the Walk , can’t remember the name. L4 at Harvey Nicks is also quite special.

yourguitarhero
    Free Member

The Italian is called Vittoria.
    There is a place over the road from the theatre called Pomegranate. It does really nice east Mediterranean food – Mezze etc. The food is very good and prices are decent – I really like that restaurant.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Any idea’s of good Thai/Chinese/SE Asian?

yourguitarhero
    Free Member

There is a good sushi place on Broughton Street called Bonsai.
    Further down Broughton street is the Port of Siam which is very good, but a little pricey. The Bangkok Bar is part of the same place – Thai bar food but comes from the same kitchen. They do good cocktails too.

gonefishin
    Free Member

Well if you fancy something a little bit different The Gardiners Cottage is just round the corner from the Playhouse.

zigzag69
    Free Member

Pho Vietnamese House on Grove Street is good. Small restaurant, small menu but really tasty. Wrong end of town for theatre, but there’s always a taxi.

Was also at Nanyang on Friday, up at the old Royal Infirmary. Pretty good too.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Port of Siam looks a winner.

hels
    Free Member

Was in the new slightly re-vamped Basement Bar at the weekend (top of Broughton St).

It is a shame about the Hawaiian shirts going, but the food has got better and was very reasonably priced, and I mean that sincerely, no arching of eyebrows. Four of us got out of the place with starters, mains and house wine for £100 including tip, can’t say that often in Edinburgh.

dmorts

There’s a thai place opposite Pomegranate, over the road from the theatre called Phuket Pavilion. I am going there on Thursday pre-theatre, so if you can hang on I’ll give you a review!

DougD

phuket pavilion is a good shout

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Thanks dmorts, let me know.

dmorts

Phuket Pavillion was good, I was running late so had to phone my order in to GF who was there on time. Hence I went with green curry as I knew they’d definitely do it! Normally a bit more adventurous. GF had Pad Thai and we’d say food in general was good to very good.

Show started at 7.30, we’d booked a table at 6. Even with me being 10 mins late we made the show with plenty of time. They have a pre-theatre menu too. Bit slow on getting the bill to us, but think that’s because everyone is leaving at the same time to get to the theatre.

kennyp
    Free Member

Vittoria, the place mentioned above, is about the only place in Edinburgh that does pizza the way you get it in Italy. It’s about a 10 minute walk max away. Quite a few restaurants across the road but they are pretty bog standard. Not bad by any means but nothing you wouldn’t find in any city.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Cheers kenny, but pizza is the house speciality at casa nobeer!. A toss up between PP and port of Siam…..

joshvegas
    Free Member

Kenny.

The rest of the vittoria group.
    Oregano.

Thats atleast 7 more restaurants that serve pizza correctly

alanl
    Free Member

On a similar subject, we’ll be in Edinburgh for Saturday lunch in 2 weeks time, we’ve got around 4 hours there, and looking for some decent pub grub.
    A good burger would satisfy me, and maybe a nice dessert.
    Any recommendations – we’ll likely be doing the Portrait Gallery, and possibly the National.
    Ta
    Alan.

DougD

For lunch in Edinburgh I don’t think you can beat the outsider on George IV bridge, good value, tasty and excellent views over the castle

donald
    Free Member

For a pub burger you could do a lot worse than the Cambridge

yourguitarhero
    Free Member

Burgers..
    Gourmet Burger Kitchen on George Street is good.
    Shebeen on Lothian Road/Morrison St is brilliant. South African place, portions to match. Not a pub though.
    Holyrood 9A (end of the Cowgate) does good burgers and is a pub. I find the staff a bit arsey though – they think it’s more of a restaurant than a pub and I think it’s a pub. So maybe it’s me.
    Heard good things about Just Burgers and Beer on the Royal Mile, though haven’t tried it myself.

The Outsider does really nice food but the staff are pretentious knobs.

alanl
    Free Member

Thanks for those pointers, plenty to choose from.
    We used to like the Greyfriars Bobby, but it has been refurb’d by a big pub company and serves the same stuff as you get everywhere else in the Country, so has ruined the appeal.
    Thanks.

pigyn
    Free Member

Stay classy, just go to wings.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Oops, meant to say, went for the the Phuket pavilion, good recommendation folks, cracking pad Thai!. Cheers.

alanl
    Free Member

Thanks all, we ended up at Holyrood 9A.
    Decent food, with a reasonable choice of beers too.
    Thanks.

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

The topic ‘Edinburgh Pre-theatre?’ is closed to new replies.