Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Edinburgh day trip with the kids – Advice
  • jeffl

So had a lovely week up in the Trossachs and heading home tomorrow. Used to live in Edinburgh many years ago so going to stop off on the way home with the three boys, 6-13 years old.

Planning on parking and riding in and will visit the National Museum, have a potter down round Princes Street Gardens and the Royal Mile.

Any recommendations on decent places to eat or cafés other than the millions of Starbucks or other chains? Oh also anything else we should add onto the list. Plan on being there for about 6 hours in total.

Ta,
    Jeff

andy4d

If the festival is still on there is a great woodfired pizza cabin on royal mile, buy a few slices and soak up the atmosphere. Camera obscura at top of royal mile is fun as is dynamic earth at the other end of the royal mile but if the festival is still in full swing just soak up all the free street entertainment.

jeffl

Bump for the morning crowd.

roadie_in_denial
    Free Member

Been a while since I lived in Edinburgh (and it’s still sadly missed) but for fast food wannaburger is still good, for something more formal La Favorita is still probably my favourite restaurant and is apparently going from strength to strength and may now do takeout stuff too from various locations (hard to tell from a brief google).

For something to do, my default answer would be to say Mary Queens Close. It’s a couple of hours of Edinburghs history told in an interesting entertaining manner. Depends if that’s the sort of thing you like really.

NZCol

National museum for sure, open top bus is quite good fun as well, did it last week with a visitor and really enjoyed it. Royal mike and camera obscures great for kids. Never eat up there sorry so no idea.

Although big shout out to whoever suggested Pakora Bar on Hanover St, had food in there last Sat night and it was amazing. Slight contrast to the night before a slap up at gleneagles though !

alanl
    Free Member

The cafe below John Knox house was good for us when we took our kids.Not the cheapest but the food was good.

arcadian
    Free Member

Mary’s Milk Bar on Grassmarket of you fancy nice ice cream.

paladin

Dynamic Earth, but youd maybe need more time

ericf
    Free Member

Sounds like you will have bikes so maybe have a nosey at the skelf pump track. I’ve not been yet but it looks great from the pics.

jeffl

Ta everyone. Went to the National Museum, had pie and pizza from random street vendors and a walk around the gardens.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Edinburgh day trip with the kids – Advice’ is closed to new replies.