• This topic has 194 replies, 60 voices, and was last updated 9 years ago by sbob.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 195 total)
  • Edinburgh Cyclist and Jaguar
  • MrGrim

Have we done this yet?

It’s a pretty nasty stretch of road and a known bottleneck. Not sure if he cyclist is telling the full story. There’s two lanes of traffic there, bu the cyclist chooses to be in the outside lane when he/she could have been on the left and filtered at the merge point.

EDIT – The Jag and the cyclist are in the inside lane, but the cyclist seems to move out to the right on the green light.

Should I report him and what would the police do? It’s odd the driver tried to knock me off 4 times, hit me twice, and kept shouting ‘you’re nicked’ ‘you’re nicked’…When he succeeded in clipping me the second time he drove away from the scene. Bus driver and pedestrians very helpful. Still totally baffled why he kept driving his car at me. I had absolutely no confrontation with him, even managed to stop myself swearing at the first attempt.

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AwOGsF1bo-8[/video]

Lifer
    Free Member

I think the only thing he did wrong was go and sit in front of the jag after the arse sped off needlessly at the lights.

I don’t understand your point about inside/outside lanes? Cyclist followed the car in front and jag was obviously going the same way.

sandwicheater

Idiot being idiot shocker.

Don’t have sound but would seem the rider is a c0ck bag looking for trouble and the driver isn’t much better.

MrGrim

I don’t understand your point about inside/outside lanes? Cyclist followed the car in front and jag was obviously going the same way.

I’m not excusing the driver. I’m saying the cyclist doesn’t help themselves by moving to the right when the traffic lights turn green. The outside lane was empty and the car had space to move right. The junction swings from left to right giving the cyclist loads of room to follow the curve on the left.

Lifer
    Free Member

I’d get in the middle of the lane there, but earlier in the queue where there was gap.

tomd
    Free Member

Regardless of where you stand on the relative cock-baginess of the folk in the video one of them driving round in 1.5te of metal hitting folk on purpose. If you can’t control yourself not to use your car as weapon you shouldn’t be on the road.

bails

Can’t see anything wrong with the riding there. The cyclist was very clear on signaling right while stationary.

Even if someone does something you don’t like that doesn’t give you the right to use a couple of tons of car as a weapon against them. The jag driver shouldn’t be in control of anything more powerful than a blender.

Edit

The junction swings from left to right giving the cyclist loads of room to follow the curve on the left.

But if you do that you risk being cut up/squashed against the railings by drivers who get next to you and then drift back into lane 1 without getting past. I really don’t see much wrong with the riding there.

Lifer
    Free Member

Sure.

BoardinBob

Drivers a cock

Cyclist antagonises him by pulling in front of him behind the bus

No winners here

lemonysam
    Free Member

Even if someone does something you don’t like that doesn’t give you the right to use a couple of tons of car as a weapon against them. The jag driver shouldn’t be in control of anything more powerful than a blender.

Basically that.

D0NK

I’d get in the middle of the lane there, but earlier in the queue where there was gap.

yeah but either right at the front or at the back I’d say. Cutting in in the middle is going to put a driver’s back up (whichever driver you “cut” in front of)

Sandwicheater, 2 narky people being narky at each other (all kicked off by the driver being a dick at the right turn), only the driver used their vehicle as a weapon tho so not sure how you got cyclist to be worse than driver.

shifter
    Free Member

Trouble-seeking cyclist is successful.

D0NK

BINGO!

took longer than expected but someone finally rolled out the usual BS.

Well done shifter

and I believe the official term is “holier than thou helmet cam warrior”

ti_pin_man
    Free Member

in that situation, at the first lights, I would have filtered to the front of the queue, he clearly had time, and put myself in front of the front car and slightly over to the passenger seat area.

After that placing himself in front of the Jag later is a bit passive aggressive but I might have done the same OR passed the bus if i could.

BoardinBob

in that situation, at the first lights, I would have filtered to the front of the queue, he clearly had time, and put myself in front of the front car and slightly over to the passenger seat area.

I think the problem was (and the thing the driver took offence too) was the fact the cyclist was using the chevroned area of road to undertake. That’s probably why the cyclist hesitated in going all the way to the front and potentially what irritated Jag man, though he may just hate all cyclists.

Dales_rider
    Free Member

He probably drives the same route the same time every day, revenge is a dish best served cold.

DezB
    Free Member

I think the only thing he did wrong was go and sit in front of the jag after the arse sped off needlessly at the lights.

Kind of agree with this. Cyclist obviously annoyed that the Jag driver had beeped at him and squeezed past – then goes and sits in front as if to say “There, I’m in front now”. If you want to SAY SOMETHING to the driver, go and SAY SOMETHING, not sit there tempting him to be even more of an aggressive prick than he was before.

BoardinBob

Personally, in my experience there are two types of negative interactions with drivers.

The first is the one where the driver genuinely didn’t see you. In that case, remonstrating with them hopefully makes them see the error of their ways.

The second is where the driver is blatantly aware of the cyclist but goes out of their way to make things dangerous. In these cases, arguing with them adds nothing. It’s highly unlikely they’ll see anything wrong with what they’ve done and they’ll either escalate the current situation further or it just reinforces their hatred of cyclists even more and the next time they antagonise one, it could be even worse.

This isn’t saying cyclists should be a victim, but I just question the logic of trying to reason with a lunatic piloting two tonnes of metal that is quite willing to put you in danger.

atlaz
    Free Member

I don’t understand the cyclist’s positioning at the first junction nor the “looking for trouble” sitting in front of the jag at the next lights but none of that justifies what the driver did after that. I’d be visiting the local police if I were him. For the driver to be shouting “you’re nicked” repeatedly at him, either he was hoping to intimate he was a police officer or he actually is one

BoardinBob

either he was hoping to intimate he was a police officer or he actually is one

It may have been the frame rate on the camera, but the jags rear lights were doing something strange. Almost like an unmarked cars lights.

richmtb

Drivers is a cock obviously. Why beep at the cyclist as he’s turning?

But the cyclist has got annoyed and stuck himself in harms way. He’s trying to “prove” something to the guy in the Jag. Having done it myself a couple of times, its never clever.

Your pissed off at someone driving like an arse and the red red mist descends. The adrenaline flows and you feel invicible – briefly. Then it escalates and you remember they are in a steel cage and you are a bag of flesh out in the open.

So the solution is to try and ignore cocks wherever possible. After all they will still be cocks whether you manage to “prove” something to the or not.

imnotverygood

The reason why the cyclist doesn’t stay left is because there are effectively two right turns here and he wants to go down the first one. If he stays left and the traffic wants to take the second right than he is in trouble. It is a tricky one, because no matter what you do you will end up having somebody cutting you up. Ideally you need an ASL for the bike to go into. I use this junction quite a bit, but only to go left & thinking about it I’m really not sure how I would handle it.

myopic
    Free Member

Re Boardin Bob’s last comment about the Jag’s lights – I think cyclist was using a flashing front light. You can see it on the bus number board at one point

NZCol

That cyclist should learn how to ride a bike properly and not go out specifically to antagonise drivers. That whole thing was avoidable and its people like this that irritate the crap into me. At that first junction he could easily and should have, swung wider to make space and positively acknowledged the car. Everybody would have been happy.
    The driver using his vehicle a as weapon is indeed not on but i watch these videos and wonder wtf cyclists think sometimes. And i ride my bike 7 days a week in Edinburgh on the roads.

bigjim

yeah this, can’t hear it very well but sounds like he is narrating the conflict before it even started when he first pulls up next to the jag. Jag drivers are pretty much guaranteed to be cocks so not too surprising a response there. Also putting it on youtube before reporting to police is a bit odd and very theatrical.

I noticed he looks into each car as he undertakes the line of traffic – I’ve seen a guy in in Edinburgh who does this and wondering if it is the same guy. He undertakes queues of traffic peering into each car with his go pro on his helmet, some kind of weird warning/provocation behaviour.

atlaz
    Free Member

Your pissed off at someone driving like an arse and the red red mist descends.

Sadly, I’d imagine on jagtrackworld.com they’re having the same conversation about cyclists riding like arses and having the red mist descend

simon_g

It may have been the frame rate on the camera, but the jags rear lights were doing something strange. Almost like an unmarked cars lights.

LED lights do that camera – something to do with rolling shutters and the frequency of the LED.

Silliness on both sides there, no need at all to block cars turning right, there was loads of space. If he felt the need, filter to the front and take primary in front of the lead car.

munrobiker
    Free Member

I think when he gets up to the bus he genuinely doesn’t have the opportunity to pass- the bus is wide and as it starts moving almost immediately after he pulls in behind it I think the rider will have seen traffic ahead moving and judged it not suitable to pass. Whether it’s deliberate that he passed the Jaguar or not is up for debate, but I suspect there is a small amount of the cyclist antagonising the driver and a large amount of the driver being especially nasty.

Of course he should report it, someone deliberately drove into him with a car. Provoked (which I don’t think would legally stand up in this situation, it’s hardly as if he’s sat in front of the Jag for 6 miles flicking him the v’s the whole way) or otherwise.

Simong- I would block cars turning right there, until I’m clear of the traffic island, because while there’s room to pass in the junction there’s not really once the right turn is completed. At least for a second or two, I know it’s a dual carriage way but if there’s a solid thing on the apex of the turn I’d not want anyone passing me.

Garry_Lager

Silliness on both sides there, no need at all to block cars turning right, there was loads of space. If he felt the need, filter to the front and take primary in front of the lead car.

yeah, don’t really understand what he is doing sitting in behind the wing of the front car at the first lights. Seems like a poor position to be in if there’s a bit of a dodgy road layout ahead – need to be up front surely.

jools182
    Free Member

I wasn’t watching with the sound on so didn’t hear what’s going on but it looks like two idiots banging heads

A cyclist that doesn’t like drivers and a driver that doesn’t like cyclists

I didn’t really understand what was going on at the beginning on the video. Why was he riding so slowly and clocking every car he rode past?

imnotverygood

At the first junction, I think he has fallen into the trap of being assertive, but not assertive enough. He ‘blocks the traffic’ because he knows some cars aren’t turning into the road he wants to go into. He knows he can’t swing wide because of the traffic which might be going straight on, he doesn’t want to go in front of the first car for the same reason. I think he tries to get some empathy from the jag when he looks over his shoulder to indicate right, which clearly doesn’t happen…
    I’ve no idea why those chevrons are there BTW. It has always perplexed me.

I

I didn’t really understand what was going on at the beginning on the video. Why was he riding so slowly and clocking every car he rode past?

Dunno. Checking that nobody is about to open a passenger door?

DezB
    Free Member

I’ve no idea why those chevrons are there BTW.

On the red bit? Yeah, what the hell does that mean?!

ton

cyclist go his just desserts.
    why antagonise someone in a car just for the sake of it?

imnotverygood

Jesus ton, that really is dumb. Do you really think he deserves someone driving at him with a car?

ton

Jesus ton, that really is dumb. Do you really think he deserves someone driving at him with a car?

yes, for being a ****.

geoffj

Could that guy ride any slower?

WackoAK
    Free Member

Car hits a cyclist then drives off?

Is that not called failing to stop at an accident??

DezB
    Free Member

I couldn’t tell if he actually hit him or not

BoardinBob

Car hits a cyclist then drives off?

Did he actually hit him though or did the cyclist just make a meal of it a la

ton

first bit of clip, rider makes himself seen by letting the car drive know he wants to turn left. so instead of staying on the outside of the corner, he cuts across the corner, blocking the car, who is then rightly annoyed.
    he procedes to follow the car to give the driver grief.
    cyclists was at fault from the start.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 195 total)

The topic ‘Edinburgh Cyclist and Jaguar’ is closed to new replies.