• This topic has 56 replies, 23 voices, and was last updated 12 years ago by igm.
Viewing 17 posts - 41 through 57 (of 57 total)
  • Edge/corner protectors for babies
  • molgrips
    Free Member

As above, blocking doesn’t really work that well.

Can’t you train kids not to do this or something?

Cougar

The best way to stop a small child from bunging play dough into your sockets is to block them off.

Are you actually reading any posts on here other than your own?

randomjeremy
    Free Member

Cougar my eyes are unfortunately drawn to your witless horseshit excuses for posts, does that count?

Cougar

Ah, ad hominem. *slow handclap*

julianwilson
    Free Member

randomjeremy – Member

Cougar my eyes are unfortunately drawn to your witless horseshit excuses for posts, does that count?

…you missed the one where the crawling baby (I estimate only 15 months younger than your neice) took the socket blocker off then? Playdough in a plug socket will be just one of many household ‘blemishes’ when you have a crawling-or-better child in the house. Stock up on cheap dvd players and forget your carpets for a start. 😆

rightplacerighttime
    Free Member

The best way to stop a small child from bunging play dough into your sockets is to block them off.

Funny, My kids played with playdough a lot, but we never got it in any electrical sockets.

I wonder if it was because they played with it at the table?

Maybe that was why it never got on the carpet, in the curtains, in the CD player, or in/on any of the other things around the house that didn’t have special covers either?

There were a few incidents of crayon on the walls though.

Perhaps I should have bought wall covers?

randomjeremy
    Free Member

rightplacerighttime you ask a lot of questions.

molgrips
    Free Member

I was thinking that myself.. but I didn’t want to open my mouth cos she’s only two and I could be forced to eat my words in a year’s time!

konabunny
    Free Member

You can fast-forward to two minutes in for the practical example.

That’s how I managed to get all my dodgy Euro electronics to work…

Cougar

This is where I was going with this. If you allow a small child to play with play-doh unsupervised and complain that it ends up in the power sockets, I’d respectfully suggest that it’s not down to a design fault in the socket. What if said child had eaten it or used her nose as a mould? Do you have little plastic plugs to cover up her ears when they’re not in use, in case something gets rammed in them?

Here’s a radical idea; take some gods damned responsibility for your children and don’t let them play with toys unsupervised if they’re not old enough to use them safely. Otherwise they’ll grow up to be the ill behaved little sods that you see running amok in shopping centres, with no sense of personal safety because they’ve never needed to be careful, and disinterested parents who’ve got out of the habit of caring.

Junkyard
    Free Member

hear hear now where is you mums and dads number so we can get that computer taken away from you 😉
    Never used any of that safety stuff except a stair gate at night. teach your kids fire is hot and sockets are dangerous. No major incident to report and nothing broken… may have just got lucky though. Play doh also only at the table with the aprons on and the toolset out so they could make “cakes”/patterns. You could tell when they were bored as them mashed it all together to make poo pie 🙄

molgrips
    Free Member

Lil Grips even plays with biros.. which makes me nervous to be honest but so far she knows to only use them on paper.

She’s a good kid….

ourmaninthenorth

Can anyone find me a case of it ever happening in the manner described here?

Me. Though not quite in the way described.

Old(er) socket. Mum’s car keys. Bang. Keys melted into socket, me blown half way up stairs.

rightplacerighttime
    Free Member

And clearly “it never did you any harm” 😀

TinMan
    Free Member

We bought some toughened glass as coffee table protectors. does that qualify for child proofing. young TinMan still hasn’t managed to bash his head in them, and they’re not dented, win : win

randomjeremy
    Free Member

Nice parenting jerkcircle for a change guys

igm

Someone suggested I’m in the trade – not quite true. I work for one of the electricity companies, started as an engineer, now Head of System Design – but to be honest I don’t deal with house wiring professionally.

What I do see professionally is the amount of time, effort and thought that goes into British Standards by some very gifted people. Incidentally the British three pin plug and socket is possibly one of the most over engineered pieces of equipment ever – thought the Euros don’t like it because if you step on it in bare feet (the plug that is) it hurts (and I can see their point).

Trust the British Standard, and for my money buy a decent quality socket (I like MK) and you are better off than with socket covers. If you must cover the socket, cover the whole thing, without sticking anything down those three holes.

The fatally flawed / Adam Hart-Davis thing is worth a look.

If you still don’t agree with me, then I’ve got an unopened pack of those socket blanks somewhere (yes I got suckered in as a new dad too – but I didn’t actually use them once I’d had a look at them) and the first email can have them for postage.

Viewing 17 posts - 41 through 57 (of 57 total)

The topic ‘Edge/corner protectors for babies’ is closed to new replies.