Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Eden Project – worth the money/time?
  • BigButSlimmerBloke
    Free Member

I’m on a bit of a tour of England next month and will be in the South for a few days looking for stuff to do. I did quite fancy the Eden Project, and most of the reviews I’ve read are pretty good, BUT every review which mentions Kew Gardens is not so good. I love Kew Gardens and would recommend it to anyone who has the time to spend in it. So the question is – is Eden worth the time (about half a day plus any travel) or is it just a smaller version of Kew wiyj a bit more message (man), and would my time be better spent checking out more of Cornwall? It’s just me, no kids or partners to bother about, and travelling by motorbike.

Cheers.

And, just for the trip, I got myself one of these ..

druidh
    Free Member

yes

trailmonkey

Eden project is superb. But, it’s a **** long way away from anywhere. I live in South Devon and it took me over 2 hours to get there.

jova54
    Free Member

There are plenty of other places in the area of the Eden project to make it worthwhile.

We went about 4 years ago and it was fantastic. Apparently it has got bigger since then so well worth the time and money.

jam-bo

yeah its nice and there is plenty to see.

heligan is just down the road if you like that kind of thing.

mickasaki
    Free Member

Good for an afternoon or so, but the worst pasties ever!!! We went on a gorgeous summer day last year. Plenty of good roads around the area, depending on what your riding!

sockpuppet

yes

BigButSlimmerBloke
    Free Member

ok – yes it is – thanks chaps

mick – aprilia futura

mrmo
    Free Member

been there a few times, depends on what you like as to whether you will like it, but as has been said it is a long way from anywhere.

JulianA
    Free Member

We prefer Kew, but it’s a long time since we went to the Eden Project. Didn’t seem to be many labels on the plants to say what they were then, but that might have changed.

Second Heligan and suggest Trelissick and Cotehele if you like National Trust properties.

I believe that the Magrathea sequences in the original Hitchhiker’s Guide were filmed where the Eden Project is now.

djglover
    Free Member

I’d say no, seemed in ropey condition when we went. Much prefer kew

MoreCashThanDash

Was brilliant when we went the year after it opened – going back this year with kids in tow this time!

boriselbrus
    Free Member

Hmmm.

It’s OK but over hyped. Heligan or Treverno are much better gardens. The bit that annoyed me was all the pontificating about being environmentally wonderful, when you basically have to drive to get to it and they make you exit through the gift shop which is full of rubbish which they have swapped the planets resources for. Basically it’s an OK garden with three big greenhouses in it. Oh, and the food is rubbish and very expensive.

mickasaki
    Free Member

Well, thats certainly unusual! makes a change from all them VFR’s out there! you’ll enjoy the riding down there. Have fun.

Amos
    Free Member

Nope, well not after going to Malaysia

anagallis_arvensis

I did a PhD in botany and am a bit of a plant anorak at times and thought it was OK nothing more

the-muffin-man

If you are into gardens and gardening you will be very disappointed – its just a big tourist attraction with a twist IMO.

dave_rudabar
    Free Member

Whereas I thought the food (and interesting local beers, when i went), were lovely!

My GF & I also went to see Goldfrapp there in one of their evening “Eden Sessions” concerts – was top stuff.

B-_good_effort
    Free Member

Heligan or Treverno are much better gardens

bikemonkey
    Free Member

We went last year and thought it was rubbish. I have little interest in plants so I’m probably not the best person to ask. It was like a zoo without the animals.

bikemonkey
    Free Member

Whoops. Double post was here

robdob
    Free Member

I went about 4 years ago too and I found it really boring. I thought the engineering to make the domes was quite impressive but I just got sick of the Eco-plant-sustainable-climate-recycling stuff pretty quickly. I worked in a GC and have horticultural background so I should have been interested but I won’t be going back. Far too expensive too.

matthewjb
    Free Member

I’ve been a couple of times. The last time about 4 years ago.

It’s impressive from an engineering point of view.

The plants outside of the greenhouse need a few more years to establish themselves. Unlike Kew but then they’ve had a hundred year headstart.

I thought the food was good.

Heligan is great.

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

The topic ‘Eden Project – worth the money/time?’ is closed to new replies.