Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • Eddie Stobart, RIP
  • esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

Well there goes a transport legend & already they’ve got a film about him on the go.
    Looks OK, I’ve seen the trailer.

ton

56 eh?
    just like the speed of his wagon’s

flip
    Free Member

RIP

Dunno why, just a legend, very sad so young 😥

julianwilson
    Free Member

I’ve seen the trailer.

boom tish.

transporter13
    Free Member

shame it wasnt his business instead.

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

shame it wasnt his business instead

I know, he sold it to his brother William.

I’VE SEEN THE TRAILER!
    Oh never mind.

transporter13
    Free Member

With 2250 units on the road…running at little over cost price just to gain contracts, is it any wonder that so many haulage firms have gone out of business. The rates they pay the majority of their drivers is shameful really( I know there are some drivers on a good screw there but still….)

bighendo
    Free Member

…he was HGV positive

boxelder

56 eh?
    just like the speed of his wagon’s

Made me smile – reckon he’d have seen the humour too.

I’ve seen the trailer.

boom tish.
    Good ol belly laugh from me – ta muchly sir

iain1775
    Free Member

shame he went so early I thought he was here for the long haul

joeh2o
    Free Member

It’s hard to articulate how I’m feeling about this.

It’s enough to make me fall off the wagon.

bedmaker

Time to face the final curtainsider

philfive
    Free Member

Transporter you sound bitter, I work for them and see what we charge for jobs and as long as we make a profit whats wrong with that. Don’t think people realise the size of network we have, we have very few empty legs which helps us keep the cost down.

Rip Eddie

MrWoppit
    Free Member

Is Norbert Dentressangle a real person, or just a silly made-up name?

rickmeister

He is a human anagram….

Running it through an anagram generator gives 75001 options..

tankslapper
    Free Member

I Got A Job Driving For Eddie Stobart once………..

I asked if I could put my ex-wife’s name on the front of my truck. He wouldn’t let me, because apparently, “Fat, Money-grabbing, Lazy old bitch” doesn’t fit on a Scania grille

tankslapper
    Free Member

I regret these Stobart jokes, I take them all back.

…And back a bit more. A bit more… that’s it… couple more feet… stop! Woooah! Lovely job.

Don’t think people realise the size of network we have…

I think a lot of people don’t realise as well, that many transport companies will have trucks dedicated to a specific customer and will paint the trucks in that customer’s livery.
    So, there may in fact be even more Stobart trucks on the road than just the ones you see in Stobart livery.

When I worked for a transport company in Pontypool, there was a rumour going round that Stobart was offering to haul loads from South Wales as far as the Severn Bridge for free as a way of undercutting local transport firms.
    This sort of thing is common in public transport, there are always allegations of big bus companies running a route at a loss to drive the competition out of business, then doubling the ticket price once they’ve got it to themselves.
    This was the first time I’d heard of it in haulage though.

project
    Free Member

IF Eddie Sobart had run a bus company, and a bus was being used for his funeral, it would arrive late,be cold in winter, to hot in summer,and be full of lower working class people.

Best Wished to the Stobart family, you seriously stirred up the transport industry for the better, bit like Stagecoach, but with more wheels on your wagon.

(LGV`s have more wheels than buses).

konabunny
    Free Member

Time to face the final curtainsider

Pssh, I’ll have no truck with these freightful puns.

bravohotel8er
    Free Member

I have nothing to add, you’ve already articulated what I wanted to say.

j_me
    Free Member

He made an extremely generous donation to a charity I’m familiar with. Heard about an appeal, phoned up totally out of the blue and made a donation that benefited hundreds possibly thousands of people. RIP.

konabunny
    Free Member

I’d heard he’d shed a load of cash to charity…

mildred

In seriousness, my Dad worked for Stobarts for years; he was involved in a head-on crash on his way home from work, breaking legs, going into cardiac arrest, hospitalised for months, and they totally supported him throughout a really difficult time. He then got cancer and they were brilliant. Always checking in, sending gifts, just being like a good friend throughout. In my family, at least, it’s sad that he’s passed on.

stumpynya12
    Free Member

“HONK if you miss Eddie” new motto ?

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

Is Norbert Dentressangle a real person, or just a silly made-up name?

It’s made up. His real name is Norman Deathstrangler.

But he thought that perhaps he should change it for PR purposes……..someone told him that the Normans still had a bad name in England.

Personally I like “Norman Deathstrangler”, I think it’s a totally appropriate name for a long distant lorry driver. Plus it has the added advantage of reducing the possibility of his drivers picking up hitch-hikers.

tankslapper
    Free Member

Would have been ironic if he’d have been killed by a prostitute

tankslapper
    Free Member

Does he need a SORN?

Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)

The topic ‘Eddie Stobart, RIP’ is closed to new replies.