Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Ebay..advice needed seller appears to be going back on deal
  • thewombles
    Free Member

Hi, i won an auction on ebay for a rather large item , seller advertised that it would either be collection or postage (paid by me) for £30,. I rang the seller to arrange payment via paypal and postage to be told he was expecting that he was expecting it to be collected.
    We agreed that he would price the postage and he would contact me back today, ive heard nothing what do you recommend I do. Being rather new to Ebay I would like some advice what to do, On the one hand i won the auction and it was adverstised as postage OR collection, on the other hand I dont want to get in a protracted argument over delivery. I feel ive done my part and now its up to him to arrange delivery as Im only to ready to arrange payment as soon as its posted.

advice from the collective intellectual Singletrackworld brain is deeply appreciated !

MrNutt
    Free Member

what was the item? if it was an ice sculpture then it may be unreasonable to expect it to be delivered for £30.00 if, for the sake of argument, the seller was based in the outer hebrides and you were in devon?

rockthreegozy
    Free Member

Im only to ready to arrange payment as soon as its posted

Sorry, but you expect it to be posted before payment? Or is that a mis-understanding?

If the seller had a £30 postage option attached to the auction, complete the checkout process including payment and let the seller organise delivery. No need to phone each other.

rs
    Free Member

i see this going the way of friskys thread.

gingerflash

“he would contact me back today”

I’d give it a day or two before getting too worried. All sorts of things might have happened to delay him getting back to you.

thewombles
    Free Member

sorry for the misunderstanding!(bad typing and english !), im willing to pay before its posted, in fact i did a quote using parcelforce and it came out to just over £30 which im happy to pay, the seller is reluctant as he expected collection

MrNutt
    Free Member

was it an outer Hebridien ice sculpture?

dooge
    Free Member

If hes stated postage then tell him you only bid because of that otherwise you cant collect. If hes put it down and re-tracting it his ebay auction was misleading. If it comes to the crunch and he wont post, tell him again politely that you cant pick it up. If he still dosent want to budge, tell him you dont want it. If he leaves bad feedback, depending on how many pieces of feedback you have it might affect you greatly or not at all. You always have the right to request that it be removed, but I cannot see it going as far as that unless he is really difficult.

At the end of the day hes stated it. If he didnt want to do it, why have it on there? Hes just being difficult so give him a few days to reply.

RepacK
    Free Member

I wldt buy anthing on ebay – its full of pikeys & scoundrels..

dave_aber
    Free Member

I wldt buy anthing on ebay – its full of pikeys & scoundrels..

Are you basing this on experience, or opinion?

I’ve completed over 200 transactions on eBay, I follow some pretty common sense ‘rules’ about who I will deal with, and I’ve never had a bad experience. One neutral feedback in all of that, down to a misunderstanding.

Common sense, clear and regular communications, shouldn’t be a problem.

To the OP – The seller may well have discovered how much of a PITA it can be to post things, especially large or odd items – However, if he’s offered to post it he should honour that. If he’s changed his mind you have the right to walk away. Do this without clear communication, and you will both end up with neg feedback. Talk to him and I’m sure you can clear it up. As Gingerflash says, give him some leeway on the time replying – He’s got a real life too which may well have got in the way.

Hairychested
    Free Member

The seller is UNABLE to give a negative to a buyer.

MrNutt
    Free Member

…it’s probably melted by now. 🙁

AB
    Free Member

Does the auciton item ‘breath’? Might mean it’s difficult to post! 😉

Soup
    Free Member

Was it livestock of some description? If so, I had similar hassle a while back when I purchased some pigs from a gypsy in Merthyr Tydfil.

mieszko
    Free Member

If the seller had a postage option than add the postage in the PayPal checkout and let him arrange the delivery as that’s what he wrote. No need to phone the guy, I don’t think I ever phoned anyone from eBay and have almost 300 transactions. He can’t leave You a negative feedback and later You can always do a PayPal claim that You will probably win and get Your money back if he turns out to be an arse.

Only bad thing is if doesn’t have a suitable box for it and he’ll pack it in a bin bag without any bubble wrap and Your sculpture will lose its arms and head (if it’s not melted yet) 😉 like some guy in here posted some wheels in a bin bag 🙂

piedidiformaggio
    Free Member

If it has melted, perhaps the seller could put it into bottles, post those to you with instructions for re-assembly?

mysterymurdoch
    Free Member

Aye, forget the phoning business… and don’t worry as you aren’t set to lose out in any way. He can’t leave you negative feedback, but for goodness sake give him a day or two to get back to you!

I’d say tomorrow lunchtime just neg him and forget about the item.

RepacK
    Free Member

@ Dave

experience..unfortunately.. 🙁

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Ebay..advice needed seller appears to be going back on deal’ is closed to new replies.