• This topic has 23 replies, 15 voices, and was last updated 7 years ago by hora.
Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • ebay woes – buyer arranging own courier
  • bruneep

I’m selling my sons guitar on ebay listed as collection only. Buyer has bought it twice now after I cancelled his first purchase, he’s emailed me saying he’ll arrange his own courier to pick up etc.

If I add tracking info etc will I still be liable for damage or loss?

My head says refund and block him. Son says give me the money 🙄

What could go wrong?

ctk
    Free Member

What can go wrong? Well it could get lost or damaged but that is unlikely and guitar could be insured to whatever value.

BUT you will have to pack it properly and wait in for the courier.

I would want to cancel just for not understanding what local pick up is (twice!)

jekkyl

tell him you’re not packing it up and if you have to, charge accordingly.
    for courier collection act just as you would with someone visiting… you’ll be available after tea on tuesday and wednesday for example. If he wants the item, let him have it if he’s keen.

hora
    Free Member

If you listed it as collection only and there’s the risk that he won’t insure it enough, won’t pay for signature and then blame you for inadequate packing? I’d cancel tbh. The fact that he’s dicked around already gives you a glimpse into Pandora’s box.

duckman

I would give odds on him asking for money off for a fabricated issue with it. Probably the cost of a courier. Damn; my glass is half empty!

bruneep

and he’s been refunded and blocked

dickyhepburn
    Free Member

Fine work

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

I have the same issue with an old Quad hifi I am selling for someone else – went for 1900 but the buyer is in Russia and I haven’t had a reply from him.

And strangely he beat a GB bidder that also seems to have bid 1900, so I don’t see how that works!

And it was listed as part of an ebay 75% off final valuation fees so if I have to lose that offer I won’t be happy.

onandon
    Free Member

Give the second guy the offer to buy. The problem then goes away.

suburbanreuben
    Free Member

And strangely he beat a GB bidder that also seems to have bid 1900, so I don’t see how that works!

Simple. He bid first.

If you only want UK bidders to bid, why don’t you set that parameter when creating the listing? It will automatically block overseas bids.

Cougar

If he sends his own courier (brother, representative, hairdresser), you won’t have any proof of delivery. Item not delivered, Paypal dispute, money refunded, sayonara.

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

If you only want UK bidders to bid, why don’t you set that parameter when creating the listing? It will automatically block overseas bids.

no, didn’t want that – it is a vintage system so offered stupid high postage so visible to Europe but with the proviso that they have to arrange collection.

devash
    Free Member

Good call OP. Its not worth the risk. “Buyer arranges own courier, complains goods not received / damaged” is a classic eBay scam.

bruneep

He’s now contacted me by email.

I offered to sell if he did it by bank transfer. He’s now whining that “If I pay by bank transfer where is my purchase security?”

and he added “I’m a branch manager at Grey Haze. I’m not a time waster.”

Ok that’s me convinced 🙄

legend
    Free Member

Tell him to poke it

maccruiskeen

Its fine having a buyer arrange a courier…. if they’ve asked / made that arrangement before bidding. If it properly is a courier, rather than sending a pal round, then you’ve got as much protection with them paying for the carrier as if you paid for it yourself. Ebays buyer and seller protection revolves around tracking numbers. If the buyer arranges their own carriage they still need you to print and apply the shipping labels so they’ll have to email them to you to print. So you’ll have the courier info and everything to ID the package to track it. If the buyer claims they haven’t received it then you have the tracking number to prove that it was sent. If it is a scam and its not a legit courier… just don’t hand it over. For your own convenience dictate to the buyer what kind of courier arrangement you want. When I arrange courier pick ups for people I’m buying from we often agree on drop-off services partly because its cheaper for me but also its more convenient for most people to drop something off at a local shop than wait in for a driver.

You’re actually far more at risk on Ebay with ‘collect in person’ if you take paypal for payment. The buyer can collect in person walk round the corner and just tell ebay they’ve not received it – Ebay will ask you for a tracking number – you won’t have one – they’ll refund the buyer. Nothing – a signature, a photo of the buyer with the item in their hands with a newspaper with the date on will trump a tracking number as evidence in Ebay/paypal’s eyes.

So if you’re not going to arrange couriers yourself, and not going to let buyers do it for you, make sure you’re not taking paypal either.

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

Nothing – a signature, a photo of the buyer with the item in their hands with a newspaper with the date on will trump a tracking number as evidence in Ebay/paypal’s eyes.

I suppose the only thing is to demand that the buyer toggles the received status in ebay on their smartphone, and that you see it change, when they pick the item up?

hora
    Free Member

I wouldn’t do ^ cash on collection or strictly posted all through eBay/PayPal.

bruneep

so an update.

“Buyer” has come back to me says he is willing to drive 5hrs ea way to collect guitar 😯

He’s paid a deposit by bank transfer, balance to be by cash or bank transfer.

bonkers

deadkenny
    Free Member

I was under the impression arranging a courier for a collection only is a classic ebay scam.

Edit: Quick Google and basically if using PayPal it allows the buyer to file a “not received” complaint and because it’s listed as collection only the seller is totally stuffed as PayPal will go in favour of the buyer and reverse the payment.

hora
    Free Member

Cash only on collection. It’s not a hidden rare model with a historic star significance is it?

bruneep

not that I’m aware of, bog standard guitar bought from local guitar shop about 4yrs ago.

bongohoohaa
    Free Member

Have you checked to see if there are any drugs stashed in it? Or maybe someone’s scrawled their name on it….something like ‘J Hendrix woz ‘ere’.

hora
    Free Member

Ha! Thats how missing gems turn up.

To many its just bogstandard…I’d get onto a related forum before you part with it. He might be mistaken but otherwise who would go to that hassle if he is genuine?

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

The topic ‘ebay woes – buyer arranging own courier’ is closed to new replies.