• This topic has 36 replies, 20 voices, and was last updated 11 years ago by rogg.
Viewing 37 posts - 1 through 37 (of 37 total)
  • Ebay – Suspect I might get ripped off
  • mattrgee
    Free Member

Hi all,

We sold a hardware video encoder on ebay on Sunday night having listed it unsuccessfully on two previous occasions. It sold for £118, about £20 more than we expected and what others have gone for. My girlfriend has just checked who bought it and it turns out to be some guy who sent some abusive messages after we refused to sell it for half of what we wanted the last time it was listed. He it yet to pay and I suspect he might be up to something.

What’s the best course of action? Am I right in saying as Sellers we can’t give negative feedback even if he does mess us about? We are really short of money at the moment and can’t afford to loose £118.

Thanks.

trail_rat
    Free Member

So he won the last auction and you refused to sell.

No sympathy.

scaredypants

if/when he pays, be sure to post it by recorded/signed for and insured

then again, if you previously watched it get to the end and then refused because you didn’t like the price, (insert abusive message here) !

nealglover
    Free Member

What Trailrat said.

So…. You listed it without a reserve, and refused to sell it once the auction ended Because you didn’t like the price ? 🙄

He’s not out to rip you off, he’s just stuffed your auction by bidding with no intention of paying.

And I can’t say I blame him to be honest.

monkeyboyjc

No sympathy.

^^ This….

andyl
    Free Member

^ WHS.

Did you put a reserve on it the last time or just refuse to sell it?

mattrgee
    Free Member

No sympathy.

No. If you read the message it clearly states:

having listed it unsuccessfully on two previous occasions

The item didn’t sell the first two times, it didn’t receive a single bid. After the auction finished he messaged us offering £50, we declined and re-listed the item.

monkeyboyjc

we’ll thats a bit more clear! – for four people to come to the same conclusion it obviously wasnt the 1st time…..

not much you can do about it though – just file for none payment when the time comes.

Unfortunatly Ebay is buyer bias

theotherjonv

STW surpasses itself in jumping to conclusions this time.

He won, he should buy it. If he doesn’t pay up, make someone a second chance offer.

mattrgee
    Free Member

Yes, wasn’t that clear to be fair! 🙂

theotherjonv

for four people to come to the same conclusion …..

This is STW. One person jumped to the wrong conclusion and then 3 others agreed with it. We can’t wait to get the pitchforks out, can we!

cynic-al
    Free Member

I think there’s a lot of synchronised manstruating here at the moment.

mattrgee
    Free Member

Is it possible to cancel his winning bid straight away and make a second chance offer?

scaredypants

well, my post went up before I read trailrat’s, FWIW

… and I’d call it unsuccessful if I hadn’t got the price I wanted, wehther or not I’d received any bids

still, crusade away ! 😉

nealglover
    Free Member

No. If you read the message it clearly states:

As you later said, it wasn’t very clear at all really was it 😉

donsimon
    Free Member

it turns out to be some guy who sent some abusive messages

I want more details about what happened here. Why did he get abusive?

higgo
    Free Member

Was the word ‘pricklouse’ used?

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Seemed clear enough to me. No need to get sandyfannyitis because you jumped to a conclusion and were wrong. Jeez.

monkeyboyjc

Is it possible to cancel his winning bid straight away and make a second chance offer?

Pretty sure you can do that in the ‘more actions’ part of your selling acount. May be wrong though, you may have to report it as non payment 1st.

Also i’d block the buyer if i were you – you can do this in the seller perferances of your seller dashboard.

mattrgee
    Free Member

I want more details about what happened here. Why did he get abusive?

So, we listed the item, it didn’t sell. We listed it again, it didn’t sell. This guy then sends us a message asking how much we would accept, we reply with £100. He replies saying that is unreasonable and to name a sensible price. We go on holiday for 3 days and when we come back he has sent us a number of messages asking why we haven’t replied and why we’re ignoring him. The final message says, FU I’ll buy it somewhere else etc…

I’m guessing he has bid this time out of spite and has no intention of paying.

theotherjonv

In fairness S/pants ; yours was the voice of reasonableness in the morass of pitchfork waving. You only offered to burn him IF that was the case 😉

Mattrgee; I don’t think so – but invoice him immediately, and ask for prompt payment within a reasonable timescale (24 hours?); if he doesn’t pay up then I think you’d be within rights to offer again.

donsimon
    Free Member

I’m guessing he has bid this time out of spite and has no intention of paying.

Or has tried buying it somewhere else, can’t, and has come back to you with his tail between his legs. Assuming he knows it’s the same one too.
    Chill a while and wait and see what he does, you never know, he might actually want to buy it…

theotherjonv

what’s his ebay profile like? Bought / sold much? Might give you a clue whether he is just eating humble pie now as DS said

deft
    Free Member

If you want to be safe and walk away (I would) file a ticket to cancel the transaction. He has to agree to it for you to get your fee back, but if he declines get on the phone to eBay and report the abuse. You’ll get someone in India but they’re (shockingly) quite helpful.

dr_adams
    Free Member

its a crappy thing is ebay, if you are a seller that is. I know it prob won’t help but have you contacted ebay about the previous abusive emails. He might have realised he has to buy it now but personally if it has gone for more than they would normally go for then it would raise my idiot radar… contact ebay on live help and tell the situation. Tell them you intended to block him for abusive emails. Maybe this guy has been a numpty and realised he would have to buy it from you but i would personally expect an apology and asking if it was ok first. or if hes not man enough to do that instant payment…. hes done neither.

mattrgee
    Free Member

The guy has now paid. If we post it and he claims it never arrived, or the box was empty, will insuring it guarantee us not losing our money?

footflaps

Ebay is a right pain, I’ve had people win then refuse to pay / refuse to pay postage / start haggling over price. Just take the hit and re-list.

wwaswas

post it insured and recorded.

it’ll be charged by wight so he can’t claim you posted an empty box…

footflaps

Recorded delivery is your best insurance, although Paypal normally sides with the buyer no matter what.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

The guy has now paid. If we post it and he claims it never arrived, or the box was empty, will insuring it guarantee us not losing our money?

Make sure it’s fully tracked, insured and signed for.

Taff
    Free Member

you’re posting it so will need to go parcel force to be economicala s royal mail expensive when over £45. Take photos of the parcel wrapped up so you have evidence in case of damage. Also take a pic of the unit in the box if poss. Send it recorded delivery and track it. Add tracking number to the item and then show it as being shipped. If you have an account like photobucket you can send a photo of it being shipped via ebay msg which if any dispute then ebay can view

coffeeking
    Free Member

Was as clear as a bell to me, you just have to READ before punching the keyboard 😉

andyl
    Free Member

you can issue a 2nd chance offer to the next highest. But he may well give you -ve feedback. Wait and see if he pays I guess.

tails
    Free Member

I want contact the second highest bidder now to see if they are interested, don’t offer them second chance until they confirm their interest. A second chance offer indicates you have 2 items to sell a bit of a grey area IMO.

Taff
    Free Member

If the guy has paid he’s honoured the sale so you shouldn’t go to second chance. If you’re concerned contact ebay on the live chat and discuss it with them quickly.

donsimon
    Free Member

Video yourself packing it and posting it, signed for and tracked package and maybe ask the Post Office manager to act as witness, just to be sure.

rogg
    Free Member

Read PayPal’s guidelines. I know their t’s and c’s are longer than the complete works of Shakespeare, but if you haven’t followed their delivery guidelines and he claims he never received it they’ll side with him every time.

Viewing 37 posts - 1 through 37 (of 37 total)

The topic ‘Ebay – Suspect I might get ripped off’ is closed to new replies.