Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • eBay scam, opinions please
  • ThePilot
    Free Member

I just ‘won’ something on ebay.
    It’s a pick up item.
    Original ad said cash on collection or paypal or banker’s draft.
    As I’m picking it up (and always had to due to its size) I was surprised it wasn’t cash on collection only.
    Anyway, after I won, I asked if pp was still ok. They said yes. I tried to pay but couldn’t as ebay said the seller had not listed postage costs and they had to do that before I could pay.
    So I requested total costs from the seller as directed by ebay but now they want cash on collection (offered by me) but now i’m wondering if it’s a scam as I’m going to arrive at the pick up point with a wad of cash on me.
    Seller seemed totally legit up until now.
    Anybody got any experience of anything similar and what’s the general consensus?

5thElefant
    Free Member

You’re going to wake up in a bath full of ice and no kidneys.

bongohoohaa
    Free Member

Just take a hammer and get the first hit in.

Ask questions later.

ThePilot
    Free Member

Well a rib’s already gone with the hilariousness of these replies 🙄
    Anybody got any sensible thoughts?

wolfenstein
    Free Member

Probably just a rookie seller dude.. check transaction history. I have a hundred transaction history in ebay but only as buyer..selling is a big conundrum to me

mrsfry
    Free Member

How quickly people forgot

Come alone

ThePilot
    Free Member

Cheers, wolf. But he’s got loads of history.
    I’ve said paypal only now and I’ll pay the fees so up to him.

Mrsfry, what?

bongohoohaa
    Free Member

Ok. Serious answer time.

It’s impossible to know. The guy could be legit, or maybe not. No-one on here can make the call for you, and anything suggested is going to be pure conjecture. The question is do you feel comfortable with the arrangement? If not, then just walk away. You might get some negative feedback, but maybe not. If it’s a safety concern then don’t go alone.

How much cash we talking?

ThePilot
    Free Member

Cheers Bongo, I know it’s down to me. Just wondered if anyone had experienced anything similar what with buying bikes.
    Couldn’t find anything online anywhere else so I guess it was always going to be a long shot.
    Anyway, seller said he’d take pp now so it seems like I was worrying unnecessarily.
    Cheers again 🙂

mattsccm
    Free Member

I wouldn’t take PP with personal collection. You will leave him no 100% failsafe proof that you have taken it (that PP will accept ) and can then deny all knowledge of having it. You then tell PP you don’t have it and they refund.
    He is a cretin if he takes PP then hands it over.
    Why not just cash? After all you can inspect it..

skids
    Free Member

i would tell you to do one, with your paypal on a collection item you sound like a scammer

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘eBay scam, opinions please’ is closed to new replies.