Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • eBay sale – problem with buyer, my options are…?
  • pk-ripper
    Free Member

I sold some excess wooden floor on eBay on a buy it now and someone bid on it almost immediately. It was for collection only. They were also bidding on some skirting board of mine which ended Sunday and we therefore agreed that there was no need to collect the flooring until they knew whether they’d won the skirting. Turns out they didn’t win that.

Spoke to the chap yesterday, and he wanted to collect in the day, which due to working in London wasn’t possible, so we agreed that evening. I then get a call last night at the time he was supposed to collect and its clear he’s still at home. He says he’s won something else nearby to mine that very evening and therefore would like to collect them both at once.

I wasn’t too keen on this having taken 9 x 25kg packs of wood out of the flat to the lobby in prep for him that evening. He suggested this morning, early, which I reluctantly agreed, on the basis that he would be there to collect at about 7am. That would let me get to work at an ok time still.

So, 7am comes, nothing.

730 comes, I call him, no answer so leave a voicemail asking for an eta. No response.

At 755, I call again. Again, no answer. At this time I have no option but to leave for work else I’ll be late. In my voicemail I suggested it would have been courteous to let me know whether he was able to come or not.

So, what are my options? I don’t want negative feedback, but likewise am not prepared to get dicked about on someone elses whim. Can I go down the non-paying bidder route? He’s offered to pay by paypal, but cash isn’t the issue, it’s getting rid of the bloody stuff as it’s taking up space I really need! That was why I offered it on a buy it now At a silly low price…

If the sale does get cancelled, can I relist and guarantee he doesn’t bid again?

wwaswas

I’d give him one more chance, via the ebay messaging system to arraneg a time he’s prepared to collect. In the email detail the situation and that you feel you’ve been more than accommodating.

If he still **** about then cancel the sale, report him as a non-paying bidder and relist. You can block a specific user from bidding on your stuff.

ivantate
    Free Member

Atleast you still have the item.

You have very little power on ebay as a seller. They only protect the buyer.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    iamsporticus
    Free Member

As above

open a dispute which you need to leave for about 4 days I think
    The dispute is then open for another 4 days
    He has the option to either go through with the deal or ignore it

If he ignores it you get your fees back – which includes the sale price commission and he gets a low quality wrist slap by ebay which he prob wont give a toss about plus he cant feedback you

Do not close the dispute early if he promises to come round
    Wait till he does

I found out the above the hard way
    Loser buyer – opened dispute – sob story about being in hospital (yeah right) – promised to pick up next week – closed dispute – got stung for fees – never heard of buyer again

Good luck

allthepies
    Free Member

225kg of flooring is a lot of excess 🙂

ourkidsam
    Free Member

Leave it in the lobby and wait for someone to nick it

namastebuzz
    Free Member

Get him to pay by paypal then leave it in the lobby and tell him to pick it up. Maybe a neighbour could let him in etc?

pk-ripper
    Free Member

Well, no response to either of my voicemails as yet, or the email, but at least the email has it on formal record.

I have no desire to nanny a bellend through a simple process, so if no response by this evening I guess i have to enact the non paying bidder thing.

Presumably i cant relist until that process is finished? Am narked cos it’s all sat in my hallway right now after taking it out of storage.

Jolsa

namastebuzz – Member

Get him to pay by paypal then leave it in the lobby and tell him to pick it up. Maybe a neighbour could let him in etc?

I’d insist on cash on collection rather than Paypal if you’re not posting the goods. Buyer could pay with paypal, collect item, then file a Paypal dispute saying that he hasn’t received the item. Without a tracking number to prove that the item was delivered, Paypal would generally side with the buyer.

pk-ripper
    Free Member

ok, it’s ridiculous. the story he provided me with for not being able to collect involved being ripped off by a van driver, no details to pass on to the police, and seemingly no ability to answer his phone.

so, collection was re-arranged over ebay mail, to be tonight at his suggestion. Did he turn up? No.

Having spoken to ebay, rather than cash on collection, in raising a non-paying bidder thing, he now has the option to pay by paypal. That does not resolve the collection issue, which is the fundamental problem.

It further seems that if I choose to cancel the transaction, there will be no record or recourse of him backing out the sale, and hence he seems to be able to dick me around and get off scott free?

Ebay fundamentally does not appear to offer any protection to sellers whatsoever. It’s scandalous.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘eBay sale – problem with buyer, my options are…?’ is closed to new replies.