Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • eBay item not as advertised
  • steve_b77
    Free Member

I bought a 2nd had fox float r shock off eBay at the weekend, it was advertised as being 200x57mm

I turned up on Wednesday and when I had a closer look & fitted it to my frame to check for clearance etc I thought I’d check the stroke.

On measuring the dustance between the wiper seal & the o-ring when at full compression/travel I’m getting 50mm. Not what I paid for.

I’ve contacted the seller about it just now, but is there any other line if action should they not respond?

Cheers.

greeble
    Free Member

what are you getting then if not 50mm?
    whats the i-2-i?

have you let all the air out and cycled the shock through its travel?

njee20
    Free Member

eBay really favours the buyer, you’ll get your money back.

Gary_M
    Free Member

Any decent seller would give a refund. I certainly would, not worth the hassle to do otherwise.

nickjb
    Free Member

ebay is pretty good for stuff like this despite the anecdotal horror stories. Email the seller, see what they say, if the don’t respond or get arsey raise a dispute. You’ve got to do it within 28 days, or something like that, so don’t hang on too long if they are unresponsive.

That said I’d double check your facts and make sure it is not a 57mm as well

steve_b77
    Free Member

I’ve let all the air out and cycled it as suggested.

From the wiper seal to the very end of the shaft measures 57mm and the i2i is 200mm.

I’ve emailed the seller asking what bike it came off to see if that sheds any light on the situation.

greeble
    Free Member

yay for you you get more travel!

why are you complaining?

nuke

😕 He would get less travel…he wants 57mm stroke, he got 50mm stroke

The seller might have just measured the exposed body and figured that was the stroke as the 50mm and 57mm use the same body iirc. I thought I read that you can convert between the two travel lengths via the addition/removal of a spacer

greeble
    Free Member

ah sorry mis-read!

send it back! and get a fund no bother.
    WTf are you even starting a topic for

nicolaisam
    Free Member

Did you sit on the bike and see how much travel it has,There might be a rubber bump stop that needs compressing inside.

Junkyard
    Free Member

clamp it in a vice and squeeze to see if you get 57 mm – no dont really send it back

legend
    Free Member

There might be a rubber bump stop that needs compressing inside.

this ^ you’ve got a pretty solid rubber bumper in there, and you’re not going to be able to compress it by hand

Rickos
    Free Member

But he sat on the bike with no air in the shock. That would be enough to show a 57mm over a 50mm stroke. They do use the same tubes though.

legend
    Free Member

good point, I didn’t read properly and assumed he was doing it by hand

steve_b77
    Free Member

The story so far, I’ve contacted the seller. He said he bought it of eBay as a 200x57mm shock but it didn’t fit his Yeti.

He said he’d refund me once he’d received the shock back in the post, I think that’s asking to get stung.

I’m going to ask for a refund prior to postage as there’s no way you;d send an item you’d sold without the funds being in your account first.

If he refuses is the best line to contact eBay and take it from there?

br
    Free Member

So you don’t trust him, but he has to trust you? 😐

Junkyard
    Free Member

yes do as you say and I assume send it as registered to prove he got it.
    if they dont play nice moan to ebay as it is not what you bought

steve_b77
    Free Member

br – cheers for a pointless post

Junkyard – cheers for a sensible post

Neil-F
    Free Member

If I was the seller I’d be looking to get the item back before I gave a refund. I wouldn’t worry too much about not getting your moolah back, Ebay does favour the buyer in these disputes. Just make sure you send it back recorded.

munrobiker
    Free Member

Some shocks are like this- Trek for example used 57mm shafts with 50mm strokes to get the correct eye to eye. Same thing happened to me on ebay, easy mistake for even a clued up seller to make.

I had to send the shock back before I got my refund, same as if it were CRC I were sending the shock back to.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘eBay item not as advertised’ is closed to new replies.