Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 59 total)
  • Ebay – guilt at winning auction very cheap
  • glasgowdan
    Free Member

Ever won something on ebay that’s gone so ridiculously cheap that you feel you’ve robbed the seller? I’ve just got something at probably 1/4 of what previous ones have gone for (just bad bidding as it ended on a sunday morning) and the guy even said he was gutted at the price. I know it’s worth more – would you chuck a bit more cash their way to ease any feeling of ‘I’ve been robbed’?

Costs are in the range of £75 vs £300 judging by two similar previous auctions.

peteimpreza

I once won an armchair for 50p!!

wwaswas

Nope. If he wanted £300 he should have put a reserve on – just tried to save money by not doing it.

whatnobeer
    Free Member

I usually find that if an auction goes for way under what it normal would, it’s usually the sellers fault. Misspelt item names, bad starting/finishing times, poorly written adverts etc.

I wouldn’t feel guilty and wouldn’t offer any more cash, but times are tight. If you’ve got the money to spare and want to pass on some good karma, I don’t see why not.

chrismac

No I wouldnt. It cuts both ways. I have bought stuff for fair prices and very cheap but equally I have sold stuff for less than I hoped to get for it. Its the risk you take when using eBay.

sugdenr
    Free Member

I sold plenty of stuff for 99p that was worth lots more and people came looking sheepish, in the end I would rather someone came and got it than I threw it in the tip.

dabble
    Free Member

If he too daft not to get a pal to bid him up, or put a reserve on, then tough titties, be happy it was you and not someone else.

p8ddy
    Free Member

I’ve done so in the past – but then again, he listed it as an auction not as buy it now. You could easily shrug it off as the rough and tumble of auctioning stuff…

nickjb
    Free Member

Won hundreds of pounds of building materials at 99p a go. Being collection only makes for limited bidders. I do feel a bit harsh giving then a quid but generally they are happy to get the stuff out the way. I’d never feel guilty paying £75 for anything

dooosuk
    Free Member

Bought something for 1p last week. The woman said she felt strange accepting it. I said I felt guilty offering it.

Pay what you bid I say.

timbur
    Free Member

99p for 4 pairs of Dickies Eisenhower work trousers (1 pair new the otehr tip top) and 2 pairs of new work shorts.

Still can’t believe the seller sent them.

Tim

clubber
    Free Member

A fellow STWer was selling his nice CX frame. Another mate of ours offered him some cash for it but he reckoned he could get more so stuck it on ebay.

Our mate won the auction and got it for less than he’d originally offered 🙂

That’s ebay – you’ve got nothing to be guilty about.

piedidiformaggio
    Free Member

Stuff is only worth what someone else is prepared to pay for it when you sell it.

So, nothing to feel guilty about at all

thehustler
    Free Member

mini antique odera telescope, bought for a tenner sold £175 BIN within seconds……should have asked for more

midlifecrashes

Bought an IKEA high sleeper bed for my daughter for 99p. Took a bottle of wine with me for the seller to drown her sorrows.

endurogangster
    Free Member

Was it that lapierre rapt that went dirt cheap?

Rorschach
    Free Member

Won a brand new pair of Fox 32’s for £110.Offered to let him re-list as they were fetching £200+ but he said no.So I gifted him another £50 because it’s the right thing to do (ie not be a douche bag).

footflaps

Won a brand new pair of Fox 32’s for £110.Offered to let him re-list as they were fetching £200+ but he said no.So I gifted him another £50 because it’s the right thing to do

very noble of you!

fasternotfatter
    Free Member

Rorschach
    Since when has being a sucker been the right thing to do? Ebay is an auction site and is it really immoral to expect to pick up a bargain once in a while?

jaffejoffer
    Free Member

I one won one of them super child carrying rucksack things, those that stand upright with a nipper in it and can also hold loads of gear for long walks… They are about £100 new and this was like new, I won it for about £4 quid cash on collection. Poor fella was obviously skint judging by his digs and demeanor. I gave him a tenner and said just give us a fiver back….

Not really, let him keep the change. He was well made up!

jaffejoffer
    Free Member

I one won one of them super child carrying rucksack things, those that stand upright with a nipper in it and can also hold loads of gear for long walks… They are about £100 new and this was like new, I won it for about £4 quid cash on collection. Poor fella was obviously skint judging by his digs and demeanor. I gave him a tenner and said just give us a fiver back….

Not really, let him keep the change. He was well made up!

zokes
    Free Member

Rorschach
    Since when has being a sucker been the right thing to do? Ebay is an auction site and is it really immoral to expect to pick up a bargain once in a while?

It just gives him chance to make a holier-than-thou comment on a cycling forum to allow him to remain warm and fuzzy inside. It was probably worth the fifty quid just for that brief feeling of euphoria when he pressed “send post” about five minutes ago.

jfletch
    Free Member

If a seller really doesn’t want to sell you it for the rediculous price there are ways out of it for them. Bit underhand and opens them up to bad feedback but if they are going to be seriously out of pocket then it’s worth it.

The seller can weigh up weather the cheap price is less of a loss than the bad feedback.

A buyer shouldn’t feel guilty if the seller sees selling as the better option for them at that stage.

fasternotfatter
    Free Member

Could have given £50 to charity, but gave it away to someone on Ebay instead.

chilled76
    Free Member

How have we got so many responses without anyone asking what it was you’ve bought?

bigblackshed

Once bought a TSG piss pot helmet for 99p + £4 P&P. The seller had it listed as a “Helmut”. Paid and he posted it no problems. When it arrived it had £8 worth of stamps on the box.

I bought an almost new, not a mark on it table top drawing board last Friday. It finished at about 2pm. Starting bid was £2:50. RRP was £120. Pick up only about 30 miles away. Stuck a speculative bid in of £20, not fussed if I won or not. Ended up winning it for £2.70. When I collected it on Sunday morning I gave him £5 and he insisted I take the change!

If you want a certain price for something then put a reserve on it or start it close to the minimum you would take. Not rocket science.

yossarian
    Free Member

If you feel like being nice bung him a few extra quid. Why not? There’s more to life than money.

Rorschach
    Free Member

It just gives him chance to make a holier-than-thou comment on a cycling forum to allow him to remain warm and fuzzy inside.

It buys me karma points for when I have to call some twunt a total arse hat 🙄

worldrallyteam
    Free Member

Not bike related , but won a new Tamiya electronic kit that does the lights , sounds etc and goes on their RC trucks, Won it for 1 euro was worth about £170. Didn’t have a use for it so was sold for £90 about a week later. Speculate to Accumulate.

MarinNo8
    Free Member

I ‘won’ in bidding for an old Landrover Series hardtop and sides a couple of days ago. Got it for £35. They have been selling for a lot more. One that I was watching went for £225 yesterday. Although it’s miles away (1hr 1/2!) I’ll be taking a couple of quid extra when I collect tomorrow night to make it seem fair. I’m a bit soft like that!

glasgowdan
    Free Member

A resounding ‘no’ from this forum hah! Somebody above knows what it was I bought 🙂 Ebay is a funny thing. I don’t think I’ve ever been shafted but a few times I maybe expected something like £20 and things have sold for 99p. Makes you feel like a total waste of time going to the post office with them, but the way I think is at least the item’s going to be used by someone, and surely it’s more than just money… everyone is important and knowing they’re going to enjoy the item is worth something in itself.

coffeeking
    Free Member

Gearbox worth 4-500 for 70.
    Engine worth 1200 for 300.
    Supercharger worth 3-400 for 99posted.

No regrets here, reserve or starting price if you care about value, otherwise quit your moaning, seller!

cloudnine
    Free Member

100 brand new Welsh roofing slates for 99p. Seller wasn’t happy.. especially when I asked for my change when I gave him a pound coin.

br
    Free Member

Auctioned a Redfyre Range Cooker (like an AGA) with a split boiler (couldn’t get either a new or s/h one). Put it on at 99p and got £1.50 for it.

About 400kg of material, but I’d rather someone bought it to use rather than just scrapped it – he wanted it for his cottage.

coolhandluke
    Free Member

£60 for a £250 turntable, incorrectly named by seller but proper name was clearly visible in his photos.
    Listed as a mk1 but it was the much better and sought after mk2.

stumpy01

I have stuck loads of stuff on for 99p that is worth more, but I have just wanted rid of it. Stupid to just put stuff in the bin though, so would rather someone else made use of it.
    Some of it has gone cheaply, some of it has gone for more than i was expecting, so it works out about even, I reckon.

Not sure I have had that many bargains although these days I only seem to look for stuff that I need and want and end up just doing BIN.

I wouldn’t feel guilty though if I got a bargain purchase.

plumslikerocks
    Free Member

I once sold a set of roof bars for pennies, collection only. Then couldn’t be bothered arranging to wait in, so delivered them on my way home from work. Got a reasonable bottle of tinto for my troubles….

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

roof bars and 2 like new Mont Blanc bike carriers for £5 collection only. seller presumably couldn’t be arsed packing and posting, had them finishing mid afternoon on a easter bank hol sunday before the days of smartphone and the title/description was poor. His wife did the deal on collection and she admitted that he wasn’t happy (he was too busy in the house), I gave her a tenner. At the time, one 2nd hand MB bike carrier was going for £40 + postage if you were willing to make an effort to box up and post and write a half intelligent title/description.

chakaping
    Free Member

I’ve let some stuff go for peanuts and won some things for next to nothing.

It seems to even out, as someone posted above.

DezB
    Free Member

I won a BMX from someone local for £8 – walked round and gave him a tenner.

Won a MTB for £12 and gave the woman £20. Cheap bike but in good nick, sold it on to a work colleague for £20 (i wuz robbed)

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 59 total)

The topic ‘Ebay – guilt at winning auction very cheap’ is closed to new replies.