Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • eBay Conundrum
  • flyingmonkeycorps

So I’m in the market for a new camera. I fancy a Canon S95 ‘cos everyone says they’re good. Started looking today and found a chap selling 4 on eBay, described as “New: Other” for just under £190 posted. He describes them as being new, but with a slightly tatty box and with a Canon warranty for a year. This seems like a pretty decent deal – it’s fairly cheap, but not ridiculously so.

But – and there’s always a but – as a cautious ebayer I naturally had a wee look into his feedback. All good – but quite a few purchases from Canon. Including 10 refurbished S95s, for the bargain price of £90 each.

Now I’m not averse to folk being enterprising and making themselves a few quid, but that’s quite a hefty markup, and advertising something as new when it’s actually refurbished is a little bit cheeky. Not that I could prove that of course!

So what do do? It’s still not a bad price, and probably unlikely that any more will come up at £90, but it rankles somewhat that it’s being called new…

Jamie
    Free Member

To be honest, I would rather spend the extra £40 and get a ‘real’ new one from Amazon, happy in the knowledge they have brilliant warranty/returns.

allthepies
    Free Member

Ask him if they’re new or are the refurbs he obtained ?

motoscopix
    Free Member

Have a look here http://www.leytoncameras.com/index.php?currency=GBP&route=product/product&product_id=148284&language=en ebay isn’t cheap for photographic gear very often.

Jamie
    Free Member

@motoscopix

Probably best to research links before posting. That site looks very dodgy. No SSL, poor spelling, no phone number, and generally a broken website.

…oh and there is this:

http://www.pentaxuser.co.uk/forum/topic/leyton-cameras—scam-website-34911

If something is too good to be true…etc etc.

spacemonkey

IMO avoid Leyton at all costs.

nealglover
    Free Member

So what do do? It’s still not a bad price

Accept that he’s making a profit, and as he laid out £900+ buying stock to sell, why shouldn’t he ?

Or don’t accept it, and buy from somewhere else.

and probably unlikely that any more will come up at £90

Even if there were, wouldn’t you have to buy 10 ?

Seems excessive.

motoscopix
    Free Member

Yeah sorry about that, was taken in by them but like you did I would have checked them out before parting with any cash.

DrP

” is a family run business in Lancashire”…..with its office in london…!!!

DrP

tyke
    Free Member

Funny but the London office is on the same site as a Jet petrol station.

The website domain information lists 2 chaps from Lithuania as contacts

chunkymonkey
    Free Member

Buy new mate, the link to Amazon looks as good as you’ll get.

toby1

Sounds like he has priced for new not refurbished – but that right there is the wonder of ebay!

If it’s something important, best buying it from a trusted source I’d say 🙂

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

Would Jessops price match the Leyton ‘price’?

flyingmonkeycorps

Even if there were, wouldn’t you have to buy 10 ?

Nah, it was the official Canon clearance thingy, selling ’em individually, quite a few folk just bought one. I reckon Amazon is the best bet though, unless I can convince Jessops to match Leyton!

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘eBay Conundrum’ is closed to new replies.