Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • ebay Car selling
  • CharlieMungus
    Free Member

Anyone sold one on ebay?

I’ve got one out there at the moment, lots of watchers, which i know don’t convert to buyers, but I’ve had 2 people mail me directly, offering a reasonable price for it. They haven’t bid, and the offer is about twice the current bid. They say they are desperate for the car and will come and buy straight away. What’s going on? Is it dodgy?
    ultimately, they’ll have to turn up and hand over cash, as they would if the ad was in the AutoTrader so what’s the danger?

oneoneoneone
    Free Member

sounds Fine,

dont take it off of ebay until you have the money and exchanged the docs.

dooosuk
    Free Member

Yep, if you’re happy with the offers accept one. As you say, no different to selling via a different channel.

I’d do a completed listing search to see what the auctions have been finishing at but ultimately if you’re happy with the offer, take it, sell the car and then remove the auction as the final step.

Hob-Nob
    Free Member

Take it. but as above, don’t cancel the auction until the money is there.

I bought a car at the weekend advertised on eBay, they wanted me to make an offer there and then, so I low balled them & they wouldn’t deal. Won it for considerably less than the previous offer, which was a little awkward on collection…

Seems a good place to sell a car these days, the Autotrader website has just attracted morons for the car we’re selling.

I’ll put mine up on there with the caveat of it being advertised elsewhere, so will end the auction early if sold.

nickjb
    Free Member

Sold my last one on there. I had loads of people offering to buy it before the end. I told them what I expected it to make based on other auctions and told them to make an offer around that. Got a decent cash price in the end. I think it would have gone for more if I’d let the auction run but I was happier to have the money in my hand. Ebay make money up front for car auctions so I didn’t feel too guilty.

Jason
    Free Member

I have sold two cars on there. Both a little bit niche; A mk1 Toyota MR2, and a Westfield with a fairly unique engine. Both had lots of watchers and not much bidding until the last few hours. I did have a few offers, but thought I would let the auctions run their course. It was a slightly nerve racking few minutes as the bidding shot up before the auction ended. Both were collected by their new owners within a day or two. Both times I got a price I was happy with, and no hassle with tyre kickers.

If you are happy with the offers go with them, as long the offers are similar to what other cars have sold for you can’t go too wrong.

hels
    Free Member

So, do people come and see the car before they bid, or do they offer without taking it for a drive ?? Seems fraught with danger…

dooosuk
    Free Member

When I’ve bought cars from Ebay I’ve always arranged a viewing first, and then made an offer there and then.

I wouldn’t want to buy blind and by viewing and then waiting for the auction to end you risk losing out if they agree to sell to another person outside of auction.

Some people do just bid and collect though.

Hob-Nob
    Free Member

So, do people come and see the car before they bid, or do they offer without taking it for a drive ?? Seems fraught with danger…

Well, the one I sold on there previously they went in head first, bid, win, came & saw, paid & left. Which to be fair I would never do.

The one I bought at the weekend I went & saw, as it was only 10 miles down the road. I wouldn’t buy a car without viewing it, but thats not to say that others won’t.

cynic-al
    Free Member

IME folk making early offers ALWAYS means they are offering under-value…I’d wait it out – especially if you’ve had 2.

Unless you are the anxious sort.

CharlieMungus
    Free Member

Unless you are the anxious sort.

I am a bit, there’s a level at which I’m happy just to get rid. But of course the greedy gamble monkey is sitting on my shoulder!

alexpalacefan

Nice thread, got one on there at the moment, and nice to see some advice.

TTFN,

APF

teef
    Free Member

Chancers trying to get the car cheap – probably dealers. Think about it – who would offer to buy a car without even seeing it? They’ll probably try and knock the price down when they get there. Every time I’ve been offered money early on an auction it’s sold for twice as much in the end. Let the auction go – remember bids always come in at the last moment.

rich_tee
    Free Member

bought my last car without seeing it due to geographical issues.
    was a bit wary of buying without viewing but the seller had put loads of pics which were accurate and when went to pickup/pay he offered test drive to check we were ok with everything. seemed v trusting but it worked out fine.

willard

Sold my Rover on eBay, mainly because it was knackered. Still, got 150 quid for it and the bloke that bought it seemed happy with it, so result all round.

dirtyrider
    Free Member

sold 3 on eBay,

fully expect everytime i sell one that people may walk away without buying, but thats the nature of the beast,

fivespot
    Free Member

Sold 2 cars on ebay, one for 8k and the other about 10k. On both occasions I used the Classified add option with an asking price based on market value of these cars . A fixed price add (about £12 i think) no final value fees etc. Basicaly an Autotrader type add with more coverage, more pics, bigger description etc.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘ebay Car selling’ is closed to new replies.